New LCR questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mildot1

Bearcat
I picked up a new .357 LCR yesterday and had a couple of questions. I am a long time S&W revolver owner and have owned several Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk/Single Six/GP100 and Security Six revolvers also. I bought this for an EDC piece.

My questions are the cylinder is rather picky on being closed, about 50% of the time it will not close unless the cylinder is rotated just right [have tried both loaded and un loaded]. The gun is still unfired but I have opened and closed it about 50 times with the same result. Second question is the hammer pivot pin, where it goes through the plastic trigger housing the pin is not centered in the hole, the hole is slightly elongated as shown in the photo.

Are these areas I should be concerned about? I hate going through the hassle of sending the gun back if this is the norm. It is also next to impossible for me to get to the range to shoot with my work hours.

Thanks, Mike

IMG_0278-1.jpg

Mildot1

Bearcat
I answered my own question today. Stopped by two gun stores and looked at five different LCR'S, all of them had the hammer pivot pin not completely centered and the cylinders on all of them would not close completely 100% of the time without rotating the cylinder slightly. So I am guessing that is the norm for this weapon. I still like it for what it is but have been ruined by years of better quality control that no longer seems to be the norm.

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum. Glad you found your answer and thanks for reporting it. Please give us a range report once you have a few rounds through it.

I don't have one yet but will probably end up with an LCR before too long. Shot my 37 last weekend ~ still enjoy it ~ and have heard only good reports from the LCR.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
We have 2 of them, a .38 and my .357. both of them wear in as far as closing the cylinder. Maybe you just get used to it but my wifes .38 is older and smoother and my new .357 is not so smooth. they are both shooters though!

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Had my LCR357 2 years and it is as smooth as silk, never noticed if cylinder bothered when new and the pin is centered perfect and there is a circle about 1/32 outside of pin. I shoot mostly .38 spl. in it as the .357 mags are kind of unpleasant to shoot after 10 rounds and i carry it with Critical Defense .38 +P because of muzzle blast from the .357. They are a great for CC because of light weight and smooth trigger, after a little break in you will be well pleased with it.

Mildot1

Bearcat
Thanks everyone.

I will see if the cylinder closing gets easier with time. I ordered the XS front sight last night to install, I like the concept of the weapon. I am going to carry Critical Defense +P in this one also.

JBL13

Bearcat
I have three LCRs (.357, .38, and .22). All have centered hammer pivot pins, but the .357's cylinder requires more effort to close than the others do. The .357 is the newest of the three, and I've used it the least.

All three are great shooters.

I've got a 357 LCR and noticed the cylinder does not close as smoothly as a heavier cylinder but didn't really think anything about it. Just recently got around to shooting it and was pleasantly surprised how controlable it is even with the 357's. I only ran about 25 rounds of 357 through it, and was only shooting at 7 yards but was amazed at how well it shot. With 38's it's way more controlable than my S&W 642. I may have to find another holster and change out carry guns.

Latest posts