New guy - some old work I did

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryc":8znl9x4v said:
When I said you knew when to stop I meant it. Below is a pic where someone did not know when to stop. To me it looks like some kind of lazer gun. Your work remains tasteful and compliments the guns nicely. My eyes just don't know where to focus on the picture below.

Well I must say, this is one I did also - :shock: :D

I've done a few of them and some were to what the customer wanted.
Even cutting the Buffalo Grips.

Have you seen the gun in the photo above in person?
Or know who has it now?

I've had a guy call me once and ask if I could fix one that he tried to do.
Told him no, that I could not fix it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Todd

caryc

Hawkeye
KANSASknifemaker,

Well, I put my foot in it that time didn't I? I just meant to compliment you on the rifle and revolver combo you did. I sure didn't mean to insult you.

The gun that I posted is just to much for me. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I truly am impressed with the pictures that you posted.

I have not seen the gun I posted in person or do I know where it is now. My apologies to you. We can't all like the same things.

I have seen engraved guns that were just too much for me also. Too much of a good thing can be over done. You don't need to go overboard like that for your work to shine. Of course that's only my opinion.

There is certainly nothing over board about your knives. Gorgeous work.

Spencer

Single-Sixer
Can you tell me about the grips? What are they made of?

I agree, I really like the work you have done.

caryc,

Don't worry about it at all, no apology needed.
We all have our own taste and opinions, that's what makes the forums interesting.

As you seen on my knives now, I went to a simpler look.
In the past I put file work all over them, now I do not.
So you could say I've mellowed a bit on my taste for flash.... :D

Take care.

And you can call me Todd

Spencer":2ivzf8hv said:
Can you tell me about the grips? What are they made of?

I agree, I really like the work you have done.

The first pistol pictured, the grips are made from Rams Horn.
The last photo here with dark grips, they are made from Buffalo Horn.

Thanks for the compliment.

Todd

Spike12

Bearcat
I find most engraving work to be a little to fru-fru for my tastes. I admire the work and skill involved but it's just not for me.

Your work is something entirely different. I'm usually pretty good with words but after some thought all I can come up with is; Wonderful! Simply Wonderful!

xyr0

Bearcat
I also enjoyed the pix, but I am quite perplexed by the 3rd picture, where 4 knives are listed as A, B, C, D.

Is this some weird camera angle, or are those knives for G.I. Joe dolls. It looks like a they all have about a 1" blade.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
Spike12":p3ou3nyg said:
I find most engraving work to be a little to fru-fru for my tastes. I admire the work and skill involved but it's just not for me.

Your work is something entirely different. I'm usually pretty good with words but after some thought all I can come up with is; Wonderful! Simply Wonderful!
+1 !!! My sentiments exactly.

While I can appreciate the work done on engraved guns, and the artistry involved, they usually don't do much for me. Your work, OTOH, is simply stunning.

I also wish I could seem them 'in the flesh'.

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
Am betting my Mom, the artist in the family (paints wildlife scenes on sawblades particularly; almost anything by request, and good enough to have made something of a living by it, to boot), would say:

"That's alot of HOURS there, son, and hand-wearing, too!"; I've heard it a few times, when asked why a certain project isn't undertaken...

THat is BEAUTIFUL! You are an artist for sure, and a fine craftsman, Sir!

3-screw-357

Bearcat
KANSASknifemaker":28sgygdn said:
Hello all,

Yes I'm the new guy and yes I do like RUGERS - :D

My name is Todd Davison
I'm a full time knife maker from Lyons, Kansas.

I was lurking around here and thought I would join and show you some of my old work I did on a Ruger.
It be longs to my brother. It was the first of many that I did. I only went half way around the barrel on it.
The rest of them including the rifle, I went all the way around the barrel.
This was all done by hand with a file.
The rifle is a Puma, 38 - 357 stainless

Enjoy the photos and have a great day.

Todd Davison

EDIT to add....
Please do not try this unless you are 100% sure you can do it.
Not 99% but a 100% or you will probably screw up a good gun.

162c.jpg

162b.jpg

GMC.jpg

Rifle_AABBCC.jpg

Hi I wish I could do that. just a file wow :shock:

B.L. Hall

Single-Sixer
EDIT to add....

Noted and perfectly understandable. But how about a brief tutorial on how you do it. I'd practice before I ever got near a gun, and even so I don't think I would ever try anything so elaborate. just some little scallops around the gripframe would be very cool... could you give some guidance to those of us who might want to try?

thanks!

Bruce

quote="B.L. Hall"]
EDIT to add....

Noted and perfectly understandable. But how about a brief tutorial on how you do it. I'd practice before I ever got near a gun, and even so I don't think I would ever try anything so elaborate. just some little scallops around the gripframe would be very cool... could you give some guidance to those of us who might want to try?
thanks!
Bruce
[/quote]

OK ya all, this is how I started. It took me years to get this point.
First get you some good files, I started with a chain saw file. Now days there are a lot of good files made. I will not say what I use now, why? Because this is were you will need to start, by practicing. And that will give you a chance to figure out what works for you. When I started filing, I started on old pocket knives. The kind you would find at a garage sale for $5 - $10 dollars. I would get them file them up all the way and sale them for $50 each. Than buy some more and do it again. When you can cut them up perfectly every time. You can start on a gun. I also started to make knives back in these days, and was doing file work on them. All fixed blade knives at that time.
OK - So when I started to do the guns, I just did the bottom of the grip first. Than I progressed on up the handle, and this was over a period of time. Was still doing knives a lot. Than finally I got the nerve to do the barrel, and my first one I only went around it half way. ( First pistol pictured) I was not real sure even than I could do it, didn't know how to start it and keep every thing even? But I gave it a try, taking my time. Well you can see the results above.
When you do get to guns in your filing adventure, note they will have to be taken apart. One day a few years back, a friend was in my shop when I was starting on a new pistol. Yes brand new out of the box, never shot once. Well I'm breaking it down, and get to the barrel. I put it in my vice, to break it loose. Nothing around it for protection and it starts to slip in the vice. Scarring up the barrel and leaving burs on it. We both just laughed at this, knowing what was to come of it. Normally this would have ruined the gun.

As I mentioned in the post, that I had the rifle apart a year and a half to do it. You had better be sure you can put it back together. A guy that found out about the Puma I did, had one that he had took apart. He could not get it back together. Calls me an ask if I would help him out? I said OK bring it to me. He brings me the rifle and I put it back together for him. It worked fine and he was just tickled pink about it, couldn't thank me enough.

If you have problems with the file work - can't do it, finish it. DO NOT CALL ME!
If you take a gun apart and can NOT put it back together. DO NOT CALL ME!
Not trying to be rude, I just do not need everyones problems.
So remember you have been warned. DO NOT CALL ME!

One last thing - good luck too all of you that try it.
File work is very hard to do. Your finger will be very sore.
If you get to the guns, you will have a dent in the end of your finger from pushing the file.
And be ready to put in a lot of time to do it. Practice - Practice - Practice

Take care.

Todd Davison

WOW -
You have my admiration as a skilled craftsman and someone that has a lot more patience than I.
I'd like that done on just the grip frame, tripper loop and backstrap, have it polished up and slap it on a blued 45colt Blackhawk.

jimbo1096":37u03pqu said:
WOW -
You have my admiration as a skilled craftsman and someone that has a lot more patience than I.
I'd like that done on just the grip frame, tripper loop and backstrap, have it polished up and slap it on a blued 45colt Blackhawk.

Now that could look pretty cool, just may have to try it some time? :D

TA

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Hey; I'll bet that pair's the talk of the town whenever they get out!!!
LOOKIN' 8) GOOD!!! WOW!!!!

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Here's some work that alot of it was done with a file.
Handles.jpg

I really like your work and think I'll give it a try after careful planning and layout. Think I'll do alright?