New GP100 - Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chicago2VP71

Bearcat
New to the Ruger family and recently purchased a new GP100 4" in .357 - Was wondering if it's normal to be able to see light between the forcing cone and the cylinder? Also what are some of the hottest loads you guys have put through this tank?

Thanks!

20140628_141320_zps9f20cad8.jpg

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Yes, that is normal. Called the BC gap (barrel/cylinder). Without it the gun would not function for more than a few shots. The parts would heat up and expand and bind up the works and also any carbon from firing would soon lock it up also. Enjoy your new shooter.

Chicago2VP71

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
Yes, that is normal. Called the BC gap (barrel/cylinder). Without it the gun would not function for more than a few shots. The parts would heat up and expand and bind up the works and also any carbon from firing would soon lock it up also. Enjoy your new shooter.

Good to know.

Rumrunner said:
Welcome, and +1 on what Chuck said. The GP's are tanks like you stated and will take any factory loads. My 4" loves Federal 180 grain CastCores. Also 158 grain Hornady XTP's. Nice grips on your GP.

Nice!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Enjoy your new GP-100 but when shooting your gun keep your hands clear of the B/C gap as super-heated gases and unburned gunpowder particles will exit there. :D

Chicago2VP71

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
Enjoy your new GP-100 but when shooting your gun keep your hands clear of the B/C gap as super-heated gases and unburned gunpowder particles will exit there. :D

Thanks for looking out! Not my first time firing a revolver but my first Ruger :) I've seen some pretty nasty videos on YouTube as well from people who didn't follow that rule.

Anyone seen the one where Hickok45 demonstrates the destructive capability?

Chicago2VP71

Bearcat
Does the GP100 have an internal lock? Unless it's under the grip which I didn't notice I don't see one? I hope it's true!

gtrmkr

Bearcat
My 4" GP100 loves PMC 158gr Soft Point ammo better then all others that I have tried and I have tried lots of other brands. I am buying reloading equipment and I am almost ready to start reloading for my Ruger .357 revolvers.

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
I have one of the original GP-100s form the mid 80s. After firing countless Remington and Federal 125 gr JHPs I finally burned through the forcing cone. Returned it to Ruger, who rebarreled and in general restored it to factory new and returned it to me at NO CHARGE!