New Army 6.8 Cartridge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I understand the Special Operations and Army Marksmanship units came up with this 10 years ago to replace the 5.56 and they're finally going to do it. I guess Hornady has a 6.8 bullet available but it won't match the accuracy, etc. of what the Army's come up with? They have four companies in the competition to produce and supposedly have done so? Wonder if Ruger's 6.5 would work? Probably not, uh?

pisgah

Buckeye
What I heard is they published a "proposal" for a rifle and ammo and solicited bids. I wouldn't hold my breath yet -- it's been done before.

grobin

Blackhawk
The Next Generation Service Weapons (NGSW) is still in kick the tires and look for a silver bullet to solve improvements in body armor and deficiencies in command and training.

"So for the Next Gen Squad Weapon, the Army doesn't just want bigger bullets, longer range, or lighter weight, though those are all welcome. It wants hand-held smart weapons with the electrical and data connections to plug into high-tech sights, including technologies that can correct a soldier's aim amidst the chaos of combat."

The likely candidates are in the 6.5-7mm range. I don't see the 6.8 SPC as a candidate as it's limited by the M16/4 platform. Particularly it can't be used with longer bullets needed for accuracy and to penetrate body armor. The M16/4 platform is a nonstarter as the army wants a high level of integration with "advanced electronics". {Maybe even the ability of REMF commanders to choose targets?} Some of the integration is off the shelf already. e.g. SIG SBT and compatible scopes. But it's far from the science fantasy the Army wants. The USMC is currently procuring off the shelf weapons, and waiting on events; while relying on tried and true approaches of good training and command. Meanwhile the Army is wasting $B on successfully more costly boonedoggles.

Earlier this Summer, five companies were chosen to produce prototype weapons in this new 6.8mm round. They are expected to develop two different ammunition cartridges utilizing 6.8mm projectiles.

The Next Generation Squad Weapon will replace the M4A1 carbine for individual infantrymen. The Next Generation Squad Automatic Rifle will replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon, the "SAW."

The five companies chosen were: AAI/Textron Systems, FN America, General Dynamics, PCP Tactical, and Sig Sauer.

FN America was chosen to provide two different variants and the other four companies submitted one prototype of the M4A1 replacement and the M249 replacement