New American 243

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hotrodbob

Bearcat
Will pickup my first bolt action rifle. I had a good friend showed me how to mount my scope. That was not a :D short time thing to do. We mounted the rings and I really did not think that you needed to torque the screws. Then we aligned the rings that took some time. Didn't know you should ream and hone them. But I see why and how important that is. Hope to take it out tomorrow to see how it shoot's.

boaman81

Bearcat
I have one in 243. It likes the 100 Gr cheapo Federal Blue Box ammo. Groups less than inch at 100 yards are not uncommon. Have been shooting for about 30 years and have never had a single issue mounting a scope that required honing or any special tools other than the proper rings and the usually provided wrench.

boaman81

Bearcat
Enjoy the shooting. Let us know how it goes. I think you will be quite happy with your choice.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I just sighted in my new Ruger American .243 yesterday afternoon; shoots under 1" with the first load I tried - 100 grain R-P bulk bullet over 40 grains of WW-760. Scope is a Tasco 2X-7X I had on hand from about 15 years ago. Good to go!

Cedar Creek

soyarm

Bearcat
IMO honing and aligning scope rings is probably necessary for the best most accurate target rifles. For a hunting rifle like a Ruger American mount it with care and shoot em up.

Latest posts