New 44 mag Super Redhawk owner would like some advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hokie Hunter

Bearcat
I know this is not the hunting forum, but it's a little quite tonight.

Absolutely love this revolver. I have been an avid bow, blackpowder and rifle hunter for decades. I decided that I needed a new challenge so I decided to try out pistol hunting (VA whitetails). I could use a little advice on loads, grains, etc. Anyone out there willing to share their wisdom??

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Honestly, any bullet of 185gr or better should work great.
i'd choose the best shooting round and not worry to much.. as log as you keep your range within reason..
and since you are a bow hunter, you are well versed in that..
Congrats on the new gun.. The SRH is an awesome firearm.
I own two... a 7.5 in 454 casull (which is by far the most accurate handgun I own... and another 454 that was cut a bit.... down to about 4" of barrel length, and ported by a local machinist...
I haven't found the prefered load for the shorty yet, but I'll keep trying...
I'm sorry my answer sounds so generic, but honestly the ammo today is pretty darn good. You just have to find what your gun likes!

regards!...

reuben..

Hokie Hunter

Bearcat
Thanks for the input Reakin and Reuben. Many have suggested 240 grains. What are your thoughts on hollow points or not. One individual I conversed with prefers solid and heavy for a through and through thus a better blood trail. I just assumed a hollow points for more internal damage.

reakin

Single-Sixer
I don't like the hollow points for a hunting round. I think they open up too fast and reduce penetration, especially if you smack bone. I like the jacketed soft points better.

reakin

Pal Val

Buckeye
A 240 grain jacketed soft point bullet pushed by 24 grains of H-110 will give you the performance you need for even a big Virginia buck. Make sure to get a lot of practice before you go out. Handgun hunting is like bowhunting. It's not for the lazy.

Hokie Hunter

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. Patience and practice are not a problem. My father and I have owned about 75 acres for 4 seasons now. In that time I have killed 8 deer, none of them over 35 yards. 3 with an xbow at less that 15 yards. Distance has not been an issue.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Buying?
Any factory high-performance 240g-n-up load that works well from your gun with you shooting it.

Making?
Millions of recipes available; recommend still working with bullets in the 240g-n-up range (start with the XTP).

batmann

Single-Sixer
I have had very good luck with Georgia Arms 240 gr GD HP for Deer, I have found that solids exit and that is not always a good thing.
If you are after bigger or more dangerous game (Black Bear or wild Hogs), then I will use Double Taps 250 gr SWC although Buffalo Bore makes a very good round as well, but are pricey for me. IF you need a big Bear round, Garrett and Grizzy Cartridge both make a great round--310 gr and up. As you can see, I only use factory rounds for SD or hunting.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Well... For what it's worth, I do shoot hard cast FP's in both my .44 and .454..
But I do need the penetration, because these gun's are both meant as bear protection..
They group very well and recoil is managable...
How do they work?.....
I'll let you know......
I hope................... :lol:

reuben...

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I'm not one to change bullet weights so I pick one suitable for the area and stay with it. In the 44 Magnum I run a 320 cast to just over 1400fps (7.5"gun). If I lived anywhere but here I would use a 300 cast between 1350 and 1400. The RH and SRH are very strong guns with enough weight to make recoil very manageable.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
There will be as many right answers as there are opinions. A well constructed slug of 240 gr and up, at a reasonable velocity, should take any central U.S. whitetail from any reasonable angle. The higher velocity loads will flatten out the rainbow trajectory a bit. The semi jacketed "white box" hollowpoints are not ideal, the lead is too soft, if the weather is wet, and a shoulder bone is encountered, the results can be unhappy.

BGoff_SC

Bearcat
:)
I have a Ruger LCP and a Ruger Super Red Hawk Alaskan 44 Mag Revolver.

I was getting "Sarah", the Alaskan 44 ready to go to the range, disassembly and a good cleaning. I need some information regarding disassembly of the 44 Mag. the trigger guard plunger... I can't get it to depress using the main spring assembly or by using a screw driver. Short of a rubber mallet, I've tried several different screw drivers and some contortions. Anyone else had this problem or is it just me?

BGoff, go to the auction section here. The second topic "Ruger Popper" you want one of these. Untill you take your gun apart a few times this tool is VERY helpful. Do a search for Ruger popper for more posts.
If your going to work on your SRH it would be a good idea to get a copy of Iowegans gun guide for the GP and SRH.
Eric

sarge

Bearcat
Lots of good info here. Since we don't run across too many grizzlies here in Arkansas, I use 240 grain bullets. I use a 240 gr HC SWC over 9.0 gr Unique for 1070 FPS from my 7.5" SBH and SRH, and a 240 gr XTP over 22.0 gr H110. The lead load is just a dream to shoot, light recoil and plenty accurate. It'll also drive clean through an Arkansas whitetail. I use this same load in my Marlin 1894 for ~1400 FPS.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Va whitetails aren't generally that large. A 240gr XTP will work fine. If you are sighted in with a heavy cast bullet I personally would shoot to bust both shoulders.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
You won't need the penetration these bullets offer for your deer hunting ....... but if you want to add black bear to the roster ....... :

The Nosler 300 gr. JHP ....... a true heavy weight that penetrates and expands ...... Think atomic bomb mushroom!

The Speer 270 gr. JSP ...... a real hard nut to bugger up! Just a wee bit of deformation and that's all.

The heavier XTP's are good. The middle of the road 240 would likely be just fine for a heavy deer.

For BIG bears I would like the heavy cast slugs ..... 300 and up.

I am a big proponent of good lead slugs in the .44 and if you go that route, I'd stick with flat points. But for deer, I'd stick with some expansion like the XTP series.

For a just fun field load with plenty of punch, I like the RCBS 250K (original Elmer Keith drawings) and HS-6 powder at a mild 11.8 gr.

My 7.5" RH takes this load to 1176 fps which is just 24 fps slower than his original .44 Special "magnum" load of 1200 fps.

........ and it's MILD but plenty authoritative!

After several years of load testing ....... I have come to this conclusion about the .44 magnum and handloading:

It would be much easier to write a book on "Bad Loads For The .44 Mag." than one containing "Good Loads" .......

........ a lot less writer's cramp! No doubt about it!

Three 44s

BGoff_SC

Bearcat
eric conrad":2obabi01 said:
BGoff, go to the auction section here. The second topic "Ruger Popper" you want one of these. Untill you take your gun apart a few times this tool is VERY helpful. Do a search for Ruger popper for more posts.
If your going to work on your SRH it would be a good idea to get a copy of Iowegans gun guide for the GP and SRH.
Eric

Ruger44MagAssembly4.jpg

I'll have to get a Ruger popper for sure. If I can find one that'll work on a Red Hawk. Meanwhile a 1/8 Allen Wrench will have to do for now. Ruger could have been a bit more specific on their instructions. The Trigger Guard Lock Plunger needs to be pressed inwards towards the trigger guard on the main frame. Using the main spring assembly to accomplish this per the Owners Manual is not too effective.

Anyway I finally got it all taken apart, cleaned and put back togeather. I've always been a big fan of the Red Hawk but the long barrel put me off. I put 50 rounds through her today and she's a bad to the bone lady but I've had 357s that kicked worse.

Thanks

BG