New .22LR SP-101 only a distributor exclusive?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Gun shop guy here said he'd heard that the .22 SP-101 was only a distributor exclusive. ?????????

Doesn't seem likely, with the frame redesigned for the fully adjustable sight, and a new cylinder. Has Ruger ever done this much new design just for an exclusive?

I am curious as to what's going on. The G&A photos showed a serial over a thousand. August 1st has come and gone without a peep of news on the gun.

harley

Single-Sixer
I dont know the history of distributor exclusives but I could see Ruger teaming up with Talo, Lipsey, Davidsons, or ??? and making a special exclusive run to test the waters. Just because it is an exclusive does not mean that there will only be 400 of them. They could have ordered 10,000 of them to test the waters.

How many times have you bought a "special run" to find out it was introduced as a regular production gun the next year. This might be a way to bring it out sooner and test the waters or since the cat is out of the bag.

My guess is that they were waiting for the 2012 shot show and now have to get the phone calls and emails to stop. but who really knows.

chet15

Hawkeye
Nah...an adjustable sight SP101 in .22 LR would not be limited to a distributor exclusive. A distributor might have a special model eventually that is a little different than the one Ruger will be coming out with, but would not be good business to offer the base model to only one distributor.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks Jason.
Ruger's been acting funny for the last few months. Seems about the last six models that have been introduced there's either been a magazine article or some other slip up that beat their official announcements. The same is true of the new .22 LR SP101.
You'd think those were all mistakes, but maybe they've been carefully orchestrated???
Chet15

Hef

Bearcat
Just bring it already, as soon as they are out and I know all the bugs are worked out I will own one.

DPris

Buckeye
No distributor exclusive, and the guns are starting to move.
I'll have mine in hand tomorrow.
Denis

A

Anonymous

DPris said:
No distributor exclusive, and the guns are starting to move.
I'll have mine in hand tomorrow.
Denis

No mention of them on the Ruger site yet, but the pepper spray stuff is there now.

A

Anonymous

QUESTION FOR JASON :

Does a distributor specify a certain quantity that Ruger ships? Or does Ruger simply ship what they can, when they can? Just curious if there is a typical size shipment.

Like if Davidson's emails me that there are X number of Bearcats available on Gallery Of Guns, I know that's what's left after they fill dealer orders, not the total shipment.

Don't give away any trade secrets here!

DPris

Buckeye
Hardball,
I can do a brief synopsis, but you'll have to wait for photos & review till it comes out in print. :)
Denis

HardBall

Bearcat
DPris said:
Hardball,
I can do a brief synopsis, but you'll have to wait for photos & review till it comes out in print. :)
Denis

That'd be great Denis!

Ruger's going to be draining my gun-fund this fall. I've been waiting for my 77/357 (favorite dealer has one backordered for me) and as soon as I've got a model/catalog number for this new SP I'll have them order one asap.

DPris

Buckeye
I've got the 77/.357 sitting here waiting to be shot, too.
Don't think I'll keep it, I'm pretty fond of my Marlin levergun. :)

Almost kept the 77/44 a while back, but I've got too much invested in the Marlin .44.
Denis

DPris

Buckeye
And- it's here.

Nice.
I think I can live with the fiber-optic front, but it's dovetailed if I can't.
Wish the rear blade was a white outline.
MIM trigger, smooth edges on the back corners of it, no cutting or pinching there.

"Normal" non-lugged barrel's great.
Sharp hammer spur as usual.
Balances well, no clunky feeling like the lugged SPs have always had in my hands.
Checkered grip inserts are very well done.
DA trigger's heavy, as expected, SA has a clean break.
NO LOCK!

Small warning on bottom of barrel.

Stuck a set of Hogue fingergrooved Kingwoods mitt der undersebottom capenpiece on it. Wowsers, to put it mildly.

If it shoots, Ruger don't get it back. :)
Denis

HardBall

Bearcat
The rear blade should be replaceable. Ruger claimed, in the G&A article, that they would be bringing out replacement sights for it.

Let us know how it shoots.