NEED INPUT ON A P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I had trouble with my p95 when I first got it...........less the gun being cheaply made then Ruger not doing better QC with the guns produced. After a trip back to the factory it's been very reliable and a very accurate gun also. 8)

rds801

Bearcat
Had a problem with the slide staying open with rounds in mag when I first started shooting my P95. I have fixed the problem by doing some filing. My Ruger has not been more accurate than my duty issued Sig P226. I still have to shoot with the Ruger more though.

revhigh

Hawkeye
rds801":18dvtmwl said:
My Ruger has not been more accurate than my duty issued Sig P226.

Big surprise there, huh ?? :D

I've never seen a production company with a higher level of across the board accuracy than Sig for a DA/SA auto. Although the CZ's are a slight touch less accurate, I like the ergonomics of the 75B platform much better than the P226 platform.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
rds801":2p5966xa said:
Yeah, I love my Sig. The DA pull on the P226 is way better than the P95.

I have a Sig 226 and a Sig 225 (P6), and the trigger pulls on both are very good for a DA/SA semi. Both are spectacularly accurate .... really scary accurate for what they are.

REV

A

Anonymous

Very happy with my P95. It seems very reliable, serviceable and is as good or more accurate than most of the various auto's I've fired in my life. Frankly I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it out or it falling apart. It's sort of like guys worrying about shooting their rifle barrels out . If you can afford to shoot that much ammo at $12-$25 a box then the cost of replacing your barrel or in your case P95 is going to be least of your worries.

RAMMAN4

Bearcat
I can't vouch for the P95, but I have a P94 which is a almost identical twin of the 95. I'de pick it anyday over most any pistol for concealed carry or duty carry. I've had mine for over 10 years now and the only problem I had stemmed from a bad generic magazine. I've carried mine in my duty belt for going on 5 years now with no issues. It will eat any 9mm ammo I throw at it and I know it's not finiky about being a tad dirty like some other pistols and will always work. It's big, bulky, but always hits what I point it at. My old range master used to give me so much hell about my ruger. He used to call it a brick, but he would even admit to everybody that my ruger would outshoot his glock any day. I'm switching over to a P345, but not because my P94 is worn out, not by any means. I just want a bigger, harder hitting round.

GhosT

Blackhawk
GEE,
Seems overall...we like our P95's!

BTW, enjoyed allis8030's original post...
"I'm a little unsure about the quality of the p95 because it is so low in price"
A GOOD DEAL....does tend to make a guy...take a step back.

Hopefully, he will get ,after reading this thread......the P95 is a great bargain for the buck!

revhigh

Hawkeye
GhosT":2mfm74go said:
the P95 is a great bargain for the buck!

Absolutely !!! It was a steal when CDNN was selling the blue ones at $279 shipped and the stainless for $299 shipped.

I dang near bought a blue one myself .... really !! I almost did. :D

REV

leejack

Single-Sixer
Just to throw in another thought:

I believe the Ruger P series are real workhorses and a great value too. I owned the P90 and I did like it very much. I would trust the P's for home defense.

If you haven't examined the gun in a store (or elsewhere yet), check out the ergonomics of the gun. The P95 is quite large for smaller hands. I considered one for my daughter, but she couldn't reach the slide lever with her thumb. If you are going to train other family members to use it for home defense, take the time to put it in there hands first. For those with smaller hands, the first DA shot can be a long stretch for the trigger finger.

I love my Rugers to death and would indeed thrust my life to them, but just want to suggest that there are other reliable choices out there that are much more ergonomical, especially for those with smaller hands. Just something to consider.

Lee

revhigh

Hawkeye
Good points Lee. I personally feel that the absolute best 9MM ergonomic platform of all is the CZ75 .... second would be the BHP.

The only gun I like as much from an ergonomic standpoint as the CZ75 is the 1911. They are both just PERFECT. Especially when you put the Hogue finger groove grips on the CZ75. It literally feels like a part of my hand and arm. It's definitely smaller than the 95 also.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
My P95 DC goes everywhere I go. Will be what I carry the rest of my life.
As for accuracy it does what I want.

tk

snakespit

Bearcat
revhigh":2ghecebz said:
Texasgunner":2ghecebz said:
You'll be far better off with a P95 than with an SR9, that's for sure.

Mind if i ask for justification of that remark :?

I think about 8 of the first 10 posts (or close to it) in the SA forum are about SR9's with problems, or that had to be modified to be acceptable. In my view .... that's pretty bad.

At least most P95's work OK out of the box, and I;ve never heard of ONE with any peening problems.

REV

I could not have said it better myself 8)

buster cat

Bearcat
One other thing I like about The P95 you can pick up parts on the cheap. Couple o weeks ago on Gun broker was the winner of a complete upper for the pistol. New slide, barrel,recoil springs, and guide rod. $99.00 plus $9.00 shipping. Probably a gun that was confiscated by some police agency. Frame with serial number destroyed and every thing else sold to a broker. Every thing changed out and worked perfectly on my old frame. Ruger will not sell you the parts but they are pretty easy to come by.

Would like to pick up a P93 or P94 if the price was right.

Buster Cat

55bowtie

Bearcat
Ive got 2 of them.my daughter and i shoot often and she tried the first one i bought and liked it better that her 40 cal beretta so i got her one.the first one from Academy for 329.00 =tax .The second was nib at a gun show for 279.00+tax.The ammo is about 9 or 10 bucks a box and fun to shoot.Its my carry weapon. My daughter carries a s&w 38 airweight.

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
I don't own one "Yet" but my friend does. I was shooting his and was hitting plastic bottle caps at about 20yds. I know this, it's a good enough weapon that the U.S. Army bought a bunch. I believe they bought them for Armored Corps or Vehicle Support Units of some sort. Anyway, it's a accomplishment in itself to win a military contract these days away from FN and Beretta. As far as accuracy, almost all quality production sidearms are capable of more accuracy than the user shooting them. A lot of times accuracy depends on how a weapon "Feels" to that individual shooter. A weapon that feels good will perform better than one that doesn't. This isn't always the case but usually is. I personally feel that my P90 is the most reliable and accurate pistol I ever fired out of the box. And I have carried a lot of M1911's, Beretta M-9's. I've also shot Glocks and Sig's. Ruger's are reliable and I personally believe accurate.

Suburbbus

Bearcat
I gotta agree with the others. I just bought another P95 this morning. This will be the second one I have owned. Like the others, the first was totally dependable and reliable. My daughter wanted me to buy another P95 since I had sold the first one a while back.

allis8030

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input. As of today I have a P95 on hold at a local gun shop. I will pick it up in a couple of weeks. :)