Need suggested loads for M77 in 7X57

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Bought a new Model 77 in 7x57 in 1994 and just recently am trying loads in it that will get me one inch groups at 100yds. Currently, about the best it's doing is 2 1/2" to 3" and I'm thinking it should do better. I'm full length sizing and setting the shoulder back about 2 thousandths. I'm about 20 thousandths off the lands with all my loads. Ive tried W760 and IMR4350 with 139, 150, 154, and 162 grain Hornady bullets. I've added a Timney trigger with the pull at about 1lb. 12 oz. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone suggest a good load for my setup?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Other than the trigger swap is the rifle unaltered? 77's seem to lime a lot of torque on the front action screw. Rear trigger guard screws just tight enough for your floor plate to align and function correctly. Start with a thorough cleaning and recheck the rings making sure everything is tight. Also inspect the barrel crown. If nothing works there Id try a different scope. Make sure the rifle is ok before worrying about loads. And…have you got data from factory loads to compare reloads to? Using a chronograph?

oldcrab

Bearcat
I hope your solution on your 77 isn't what I had.
My 06" 77 mark II just would not group decently when I first bought it years ago.
I wound up trying everything I could vary to bring the groups in:
- bedding, torque, rings, different scopes, different size/shape bullets, different velocities, different lands-gaps, yadda yadda.....
Nothing worked!
I put a new barrel on it, because that was all that was left, and it went from 3-5" groups at 100 yards to sub-MOA overnight!!

oldcrab

Bearcat
One other good way to verify your gun-problems is to take an existing load that is problematic and have a match-shooter-friend give it a go with your gun and that same load....
Doing this will verify the gun as the problem, and NOT your technique.

I have zero input for the mechanics of the rifle but I used to shoot a 7x57 quite a bit. My rifle (7x57 Interarms MK 10 Mauser) liked Nosler 140BT bullets at what the data manuals called 'modern rifle' loading levels. This put the 7x57 w/24" barrel at or above most 7mm08 loads. The 'safe for any gun' factory loads of 140 or 175 grains didn't produce better than 2-3" groups but were adequate for short range use by the kids.

bradley A

Bearcat
i just posted about my own 77,, a roundtop tang safety,, im getting 1/4" groups with 120 grain barnes.. it also does welll up to 140 grain.. but wont shoot anything over 140 worth a hoot . just my rifle but couldnt hurt to go down i grain weight and see!

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I would start with 140 grain Sierra GameKings, and load 37 grains of Varget under it. Seat just short of magazine length as long as it chambers (if not, try .05" off the lands). I'd also play with barrel tension...some guns don't like a free-floated barrel and some do. A piece of match-book or playing card between the forend tip and the barrel may yield improvement. Obviously check all the scope base and ring screws. And I'd clean the bore with some Sweet's 7.62 to ensure there's no copper deposits, and allow at least fifteen shots for the barrel to foul properly with the new bullet.

Paul B

Hunter
Your loads should work. I've shot the 139, 154 and 175 gr. Hornadys with good results The 140 gr. Sierra pro-Hunter is sub MOA in two 7x57 rifles one of which is a Number One A. I'll admit I had to send it back to Ruger who replaced the barrel. I've played with various powders but have come to like RL17, especially with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. Like 2880 FPS and half inch groups. Same load does one inch in the Number One. There is also a custom Mauser but while it shows great accuracy I've suspended work due to a problem with the receiver. The rifle was originally chambered to the .270, a commercial FN Mauser thast I got as part of a trade. I had it out on a hunt and got a shot at a deer and the bolt locked up. I found the deer after a long tracking and fortunately it was dead. No way I could have take another shot at the deer should one had been necessary. I stuck the gun in the closet and forgot about it. This was back around 1973. I used it to make my custom 7x57 but didn't remember to reason I stuck it in the back of the closet. Damned expensive mistake. Easiest fix would be to cannibalize one of my cherry FN Mauser rifles for the receiver and call it good but I'm not willing to do that just yet. The worst part of the problem is it locks up on an intermittent basis. You just never know when it will happen.
Paul B

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I had one such as you have. I found that Rugers had a very long throat to shoot the 175 RN bullets. Had to seat bullets long in mine...light bullets were all over the place. 175 yr RN were great for accuracy. Velocity?? Not so much...although I could push them faster than the old slow RN factory ammo. I pulled the BBL shortened it a little and AI'd the chamber... And oh yeah...good accuracy and great velocity with most everything. I still have 400 AI cases here I never used just fire formed with cream of wheat. It would shoot almost as fast as a 280 Rem I liked the AIs..and had many.from 22-250 250 AI 257 and 7mm...also an 06 AI which didn't gain much

pulaski

Single-Sixer
Bought a new Model 77 in 7x57 in 1994 and just recently am trying loads in it that will get me one inch groups at 100yds. Currently, about the best it's doing is 2 1/2" to 3" and I'm thinking it should do better. I'm full length sizing and setting the shoulder back about 2 thousandths. I'm about 20 thousandths off the lands with all my loads. Ive tried W760 and IMR4350 with 139, 150, 154, and 162 grain Hornady bullets. I've added a Timney trigger with the pull at about 1lb. 12 oz. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone suggest

a good load for my setup?
Mine likes 4350 with 175g Hornady bullets . I also back them off the lands farther than you do .
She will dump 5 into less than an inch at 100yds.

Latest posts