NEED HELP PLEASE DOUBLE FIRE .454 SRH (RANGE REPORT)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
I went out to to shoot my SRH .454 7.5 in. yesterday the first six fired fine except I had to strike the primer twice on two differet rounds two get them to fire. Then I sat down to sight it in at 25 yrds the first two fired fine and then the next round I shot it double fired two in a row boom boom (IT HURT) so I started only loadin 1 round at a time it skiped a cylinder on me three more times and I had 5 more rounds that I had to strike 2 or 3 times to get them to fire they had a weak fireing pin mark on them I bought this gun used and someone has done a trigger job on it and its great in single action double action is really light and when you cock the hammer to shoot single action it feels like the hammer spring is to light I only shoot in single action so I dont care if it has a 30# hammer spring as long as my single action stays at its crisp 3#s. thats the only thing I can think it is to light of a hammer spring the lock up and timeing are tight the gun only has 100 rnds threw it and the were mostly .45 colts. The hammer is stiffer on my .357 BH. Buy the way my load was 240gr. XTP MAG over 37grs. H110 WW cases and CCI 400 small rifle primers.

If any of you guys could point me in the right direction it would be great I want to use this gun in short range elk season here in ID and its allready open so I need to get this gun working.

Thanks so much Scott

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
You need to get some stronger springs in that gun. Either get the factory weight springs in there, or get a Wolff spring kit and start out with the heavier springs. The Casull uses small rifle (often mag) primers, and they are harder to dent than the standard pistol primers. You can't go too light on the hammer spring or else you'll have the problems with having to double strike primers.

The gun doubling on you is definitely not good. That's a result of the too light springs and heavy recoil.

If you are going to use this gun in the field, I'd be tempted to send it to Ruger and have them go through it to make sure everything is up to spec. Most likely someone just put in the lightest springs they could find to make the pull feel nice, but they may have also done some filing and stoning on the internals. I'd want someone competent to verify that all the engagement surfaces are correct and safe before hunting with the gun.

woodman39

Bearcat
Try the hammer push off test.
Make sure your revolver unloaded cock the hammer and try to push it forward with your thumb. If the hammer falls that is a sure sigh that someone has done some improper stoning of the hammer/sear engagement notches. The best cure for that is a trip back to Ruger.

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
woodman39 said:
Try the hammer push off test.
Make sure your revolver unloaded cock the hammer and try to push it forward with your thumb. If the hammer falls that is a sure sigh that someone has done some improper stoning of the hammer/sear engagement notches. The best cure for that is a trip back to Ruger.

OK I just tried that and the hammer can't be pushed off but the double action is the lightest i've ever felt but if I cock it and try to push the hammer forward no matter how hard I push it won't fall I think someone put the lightest hammer spring they could get in it I think the double fire came from a double pull on recoil when I say the double action is light I mean its really light.

Thanks Scott

woodman39

Bearcat
Since you passed the hammer push off test then it is probably just that the springs are too light. My brother had a SRH back in the 80's that he had a gunsmith put a spring kit in and he had the same problem with light strikes on primers, changed to heavier springs and the problem was solved.

s4s4u

Hunter
I expect that someone put too light of a hammer spring in there. The factory DA stroke takes some effort, no way you could double up with one. It is an easy fix. I have a heavier spring you can have if you want to try one sbyrd, just PM me your addy.

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
I just pulled the grip off the hammer spring strut is marked "C" does that mean anything also tried double action without the hammer spring in the gun and its not that much lighter without the spring than with it its really close to the same pull weight just a little lighter without the spring its got to be the hammer spring i'm going to get the heaviest hammer spring wolf makes like I said i'll probably never shoot it DA so I don't care how hard it is to cock just want the SA pull to stay the same its at a crisp 3-3.5#s.

Thanks Scott

flatgate

Hawkeye
You don't need the "heaviest" spring you can find. You need a standard "Factory" or Factory equivalent spring.

JMHO,

flatgate

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
s4s4u said:
I expect that someone put too light of a hammer spring in there. The factory DA stroke takes some effort, no way you could double up with one. It is an easy fix. I have a heavier spring you can have if you want to try one sbyrd, just PM me your addy.

Thank You s4s4u thats why I love this forum so many great people willing to help others out now tell me right wing gun owners are not the best people this country has now if we could get other to act like us this country would be on the RIGHT track agian.

Thanks Scott

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
You don't need the "heaviest" spring you can find. You need a standard "Factory" or Factory equivalent spring.

JMHO,

flatgate
do you know the factory #spring

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
The doubling can be caused by your grip loosening. If your grip relaxes enough (not much needed in a 454 Casull or 500 S&W), the piece recoils away from your trigger finger, allowing the trigger to reset. Then it bounces off the ball of your hand, driving the trigger into your trigger finger, getting you your bonus round.

hammie

Single-Sixer
Factory spring is 14 pounds. Wolff does not show an extra power hammer spring for the super redhawk. It might be worth visiting wolff's website at gunsprings.com. I envy your super redhawk. I'm sure you enjoy it.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Well we know that the Hammer springs have been toyed with, your trigger return springs might have as well. I would suggest one of the two below spring kits.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26188/Product/-297-RUGER-SUPER-REDHAWK-SPRING-KIT
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/351363/wolff-shooters-spring-pack-ruger-super-redhawk-reduced-power

I would suggest the reduced power 12lb hammer spring, and then testing the reduced power 10 & 12 lb trigger return springs to see which you like better.

Charlie

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
s4s4u is sending me a 12# wolf spring I think that will solve it if not i'll go to the trigger reset spring.

Thanks agian s4s4u!!

hammie, yes I love this gun and the target gray is a great finish.

sbyrd

Single-Sixer
Thanks to everyone for their advice and input I think we have it down to the hammer spring being to light s4s4u is sending me a 12# wolf spring I think that will fix it. My trigger spring seems fine no problem with it reseting does anyone think I should use a softer primer i'm useing CCI 400 maybe I should switch to fed 205 match grade i've heard their softer?

Thanks Scott

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
There is no reason to use "soft" primers in a Casull. The CCI 400s are fine, and Dick Casull (as well as Freedom Arms) recommended Remington # 7 1/2. I use CCIs myself.