Need Blackhawk Firing Pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Easy Ed

Single-Sixer
I Just got off the phone with Ruger trying to buy a firing pin for my old model Blackhawk, 30 carbine, serial
# 8123. They said no deal, had to be factory installed. I've worked on guns a long time and this is a job I can handle. Is there a person on here that has a firing pin they would sell? If not I'll turn one out on the lathe.

I also tried to buy a couple of Old Army mainsprings but they didn't have any. ?
Where can I buy after market springs of comparable weight? What weight?
I like the quicker lock time of a heavier spring.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

flatgate

Hawkeye
"borrow" a s/n of a friend's New Model large calibre Blackhawk and order a firing pin and spring for it.

The crux of the job is getting the retaining pin installed EXACTLY where it was.....

JMHO,

flatgate

PS If Ruger won't sell you the parts then try some of the parts sellers. Let Google help you find them. :D

WOB

Bearcat
You can get a firing pin here:

http://smtp.schludershots.com/index2.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=612&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=16&manufacturer_id=24&rating=&price=2.45AND24.45&pop=1&tmpl=component

WOB

Easy Ed

Single-Sixer
Thanks Guys. I did a little checking today and found the one Eric mentioned from Brownells. Another one from Numrich. Going to try Ruger again monday with New Model numbers, see how that flys.

Flatgate I don't have to find a serial number, I've got plenty of New Models in my collection. :D

Think I'm going to order my main springs from Wolff but I'm not sure what weight the Old Army takes.

Going to take my time with the firing pin and try not to knock it all the way out. Will mark it anyway.

I'll let you guys know when I get it in. Thanks again.

Ed

flatgate

Hawkeye
I agree! All my "big bores" have Old Army mainsprings.

I changed out a firing pin on a .357 Max shooter I had. It took two or
three tries to get the pins' retainer installed "back where it was". :D

The gun shot quite well after that but the holes in the target were just too small for my liking.... :D

I moved up to a 10-1/2" .44 mag in stainless.

flatgate