Need a strap for my No. 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
My wife has never been one for the "strapless" look, and my new-2-me No. 1 feels the same about itself.

Gun is a No. 1, stainless in PEPPER laminate stock.

I'm a fan of leather slings, as far as their look is concerned. I have a simple, leather sling on my birch 10/22. (but I have a synthetic camo sling on my camo 870 Supermag).

My No 1 seems to deserve proper treatment. If it had a walnut stock, it wouldn't be a question, but the pepper lam makes the color choice for leather a little difficult in my opinion.

I've got a Ruger "Cobra" leather strap in my 'cart' on Cabelas. Looks nice, and I dont think the ones on Ruger's site are the same anymore. At least, the two on Ruger's site are a rich brown, and a black one. On Cabelas, they are light tan or dark, dark chocolate.

Any suggestions as to strap, style? I don't know how 'thick' the padding is on this/these straps. I don't necessarily want/need padding either.

Cabelas link:http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger-Padded-Leather-Cobra-Sling/741490.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Druger%2Bcobra%2Bsling%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=ruger+cobra+sling

Ruger link: (BROWN)

http://shopruger.com/R22-Wal-Cobra-Rifle-Sling/productinfo/19103/

(BLACK)
http://shopruger.com/RSNG20-Black-Cobra-Rifle-Sling/productinfo/19104/

Thanks.

singleshot

Single-Sixer
If you can live with a Browning logo, their horse-hair slings are a great sling and I believe have grey and black also. If you shop around online, you can find some a little cheaper than what Cabelas lists them for.

Something like this:
http://www.browningshop.com/product/8041

singleshot

MacB

Bearcat
Accessories → Slings
El Paso Saddelry Company.
I have ordered one for my brother's M1 Garand and one for my Mini 14 Ranch.

1907 Sling
$70.00

This sling is made to exact U.S. Military specifications.  Heavy leather insures the long life of the sling.  The hardware is parkerized as was the standard practice for the sling used in WWII.  Copper rivets are used for fastening.  The 1907 Sling is 1 1/4" wide and is extremely adjustable to aid in hi-power target shooting.  There is no higher quality 1907 sling on the market today.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
By the way, the "simple leather strap on my 10/22" that I referred to? It's a 1907, I just didn't know what it was, until I saw the last post. Thanks! (and now i'm learning about how to use it to steady a rifle....)

trapperon

Blackhawk
I have a stainles number 1 as well. I put a black leather sewn montana sling on it and it looks just perfect. there are no rivets or hardware to scratch the gun, and the black leather is a great match to the stainless/grey pepper stock. At least check them out if ou are not familar with them--made right in Montana just like the name implies!!

Ron

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I really like the Montana slings as well. Have them on two of my rifles. About as simple as it gets, looks great and stays put when adjusted, yet easy to readjust.
2012-09-08_13-05-09_994.jpg

tas6691

Bearcat
I will post a pic of my black horsehair Browning sling on my stainless/black laminate(looks green and black to me) mdl77 tomorrow. I had it on a #1 I foolishlt traded away, and I think its one of the best looking rigs I own.

picketpin

Buckeye
I have a variety of Bianchi "Cobra" slings on my #1s. They go from very plain, rough out leather that I installed on my first #1 in 1968 to some that are suede lined, padded with leather and sheep skin and finishes from plain to basket weave to floral carved.

I try very hard to find the model with the external pouch on the outside that holds 3-5 loaded cartridges predicated on caliber etc or a folding Gerber knife and a couple of shells or whatever YOU choose to put in there.

I have a few military slings around that are actually used as a support aide when shooting. Mostly on my bolt guns.

No-1

Single-Sixer
Bought (from Midwest Gun Works) one of the Cobra Slings that have Ruger on them. Seems pretty thin not sure if I'm going to trust it to hold the gun up. I might use contact cement and add another layer of leather.

ruggedruger,

I do not have any SS No.1's as of yet but three of my current No.1's are wearing the Cabela's Ruger Cobra padded sling. As seen on the left three guns.

They support the rifle very well and the padding is a plus.

The rest are wearing a inexpensive camouflage sling that I do not recall the manufacture. I buy them because they have a extremely easy length adjustment system.

photo2.jpg

OIF2

Single-Sixer
I like old-fashioned GI 1907-type leather slings. Comfortable and have a retro-rifle look. Just remember not to use one as a SHOOTING sling. It will definitely change your point of impact on a No 1.
Bob

DSC_2149_zpsc081d269.jpg

Here's a 1-1/4" 1907 sling on a semi-custom 77. In this case, a shooting sling is an advantage.
DSC_2077.jpg

Jason at Lipsey's

Single-Sixer
The best sling I have ever used are the cotton slings offered by Trader Keith. They look great on the rifles and are functional too.

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

OIF2

Single-Sixer
Jason at Lipsey's said:
The best sling I have ever used are the cotton slings offered by Trader Keith. They look great on the rifles and are functional too.

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

Very nice...it would go with the retro look of my Boddington 7X57. Thanks for the tip on that one.
Bob