My wife's PayPal account.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I got a letter in the mail recently, or a least Nita did, thanking her for opening a PayPal account. Now Nita will learn Mandarin Chinese before she comprehends PayPal. (Her husband likewise.) The referenced account number was a series of "X's" followed by the last four digits of the account number.

So, I tried to log on, but without the correct account number, I was dead in the water. Well, I composed a very impressive (I can be very impressive in business letters.) letter and sent it off to the address given. A few days later a response was received. There was a phone number given, so I called. Nope, had to talk to Nita herself. So Nita got on the phone, which she hates to do, and reiterated all that I had outlined in my letter. The response was that they'd put a hold on the account.

I wrote a very nice letter in response, civil but obviously written with clenched teeth. But I emphasized we wanted the account closed, not just restricted.

The latest letter from PayPal apologizes and verifies that the account is closed.

Sometimes the old fashioned way works best.

Bob Wright

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Anytime something like that happens, I use the same phrase . . .
"show me something with my signature on it", and follow up with
OR GET LOST!

So far, at least, that seems to do the trick.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
The question is: Did she actually apply for the PP credit account or did someone else set up the account for criminal purposes?

Now Nita will learn Mandarin Chinese before she comprehends PayPal.

I thought that pretty well answered that question.

Bob Wright

"Now Nita will learn Mandarin Chinese before she comprehends PayPal."
"I thought that pretty well answered that question."

I failed to interpret it that way.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
"Now Nita will learn Mandarin Chinese before she comprehends PayPal."
"I thought that pretty well answered that question."

I failed to interpret it that way.

I apologize for a smart alecky response. But the implication was that my wife might have opened an account behind my back and without my permission. We don't work that way.

But my wife will not make any purchases, much less open any accounts, without my knowledge or consulting with me first. To say Nita is computer illiterate is putting it mildly. And that's the way she wants it.

She wants to have as little to do with computers as possible, even hates to dial a long distance telephone call.

Bob Wright

I agree. Might be worthwhile to put a "credit freeze" on with the credit monitoring outfits. That way nobody can open any accounts under her info.

Back to the OP, if your wife did not "set up an account", then "someone" did and you should be digging into who that was.
This is an immediate threat to be taken seriously. I did not intend to "imply" anything beyond what I just stated.
It could be PHISHING for info or an actual attempt to defraud. I take and teach classes on the various sorts of internet fraud and illegal activity as part of my work. This is a classic approach aimed at a person who possibly has no other credit cards and thus has little knowledge of such activities.

1) I doubt an account was set up.
2) This is an attempt to get personal information so an identity theft could occur.
3) I get these and just delete them. PayPal doesn't have my info.
gramps

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
gramps said:
1) I doubt an account was set up.
2) This is an attempt to get personal information so an identity theft could occur.
3) I get these and just delete them. PayPal doesn't have my info.
gramps

Never the less, PayPal Security is treating it as fraud and is investigating. Will have the Memphis police involved also.

Bob Wright

Latest posts