My webb between thumb and finger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
This webb is getting hammered hard.going to try and post pics of grips not fitting up to back strap. I could go hogue grips but I like the wood looks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227_123244_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231227_123244_Gallery.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20231227_123226_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231227_123226_Gallery.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 51

crow#2

Single-Sixer
From where the ink pen is in right picture up to where it is in left pic is where I'm getting hammered I think.
I tried the pinky under the grop and all fingers on front of grip.Any suggestions? Looks like if the grips fit better it would eliminate most of the problem.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Ruger is not well known for wood grips that fit. Maybe a peek at Chig's site would be a good idea?

from the pictures looks like a stainless steel gun and I recall from back in the mid 80s Rugers castings of the stainless frames, ergo the Vaqueros, there was a LOT to be desired as to the "fit" of the wood grips to the grips frame, and we found it to ber just that the grips frame ,,NOT the grips themselves, try a few different ones on , and see for your self.....back then we seldom seen any that the fit was "perfect" even NEAR 'perfect'....nature of the beast,,,I know ( heard) it used to drive guys like Cary (CLC) crazy and they would request YOUR grip frame to get the more "perfect" fit..... :unsure: ;)

Rclark

Hunter
Yep, custom grips are the way to go as most grip frames are slightly different anyway. I had to send in one of my grip frames that was way off, but came back with perfectly fitting grips. I use Bear Paw grip panels myself.

Frankly, the way I see it, is either you can live with close or pay the extra $200 or so for custom. I don't have show or custom grips so I can live with close. My guns are functional and I'm good with that. I don't mind having a custom grip and might like to have one, but it bothers me more the grip isn't long enough, or hand filling enough. If you want custom, buy custom, if price is an issue, well you didn't pay for custom so you probably saved a couple of hundred or more.
As they say, you get what you pay for.

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Full power 44 mag with the xr3-red grip frame is not fun, but I'm not sure that small amount of misfit is the issue. Should you go with custom grips, it'll be more important that they fit your hand (with maybe some extra width). I love Pachmayrs for this although many don't.

Just wait until you shoot your soon-to-arrive 45 with stout loads and those plastic cheese grater grips.

If this is a 40ish+- years old gun the wood could have shrank. Admittedly I haven't played Cowboy in about 30 years so can't really say about that particular model.

Personally I would just make the present wooden grips fit properly. Remove and fill the locator pin hole. Position the grips so they would fit properly and mark where the locator pin touches the grip. Drill a new pin hole the install the grips

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Most Ruger grips are fitted better than that. Hogue makes wood grips too. I often use Herret's grips that I buy on eBay. I also have a set of grips from Texas Grips that fit better than the ones you show. I do not often shoot full power loads with Ruger stock grips.

Latest posts