My Vaquero blew up.......Got it back!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well, not exactly. :) Last night at the range, I was firing my 40 S&W Vaquero for the first time. I had a full cylinder of ammo, cocked back the hammer and fired. I then cocked the hammer for a second shot when WAYNO, who was with me, shouted STOP, STOP! I turned to him and he was still telling me to stop. Little did I know that the ejector rod housing, screw, ejector rod, and spring, had all exited the Vaquero. :shock:

I was able to find all the parts and tried to re-attach the housing, but the retention screw would not thread into the barrel. The hole for the screw had dried loc-tite on the threads.

This is a new revolver. This morning, I called Ruger and they are going to arrange for UPS to pick it up at my residence. They said they will repair it and ship it back to me no charge.

We shall see.......

Dave

Cholo

Staff member
Well, ain't that a Rosie! Were the threads on the screw stripped off? I've had them loosen but never to the point of falling off. I'm sure it will be good to go when you get it back.

...talking about all those OM SA's you have, just think of how many screws those dangerous things have. I'd get rid of them cheap. Shoot me, no pun intended, a list and I'll try to help you out :wink:

Cholo":1g3lxz8a said:
Well, ain't that a Rosie! Were the threads on the screw stripped off? I've had them loosen but never to the point of falling off. I'm sure it will be good to go when you get it back.

...talking about all those OM SA's you have, just think of how many screws those dangerous things have. I'd get rid of them cheap. Shoot me, no pun intended, a list and I'll try to help you out :wink:

I have had a number of Ruger new and old models and have never had one that the ejector rod housing screw was loc-tited in......makes me suspicious :? .

As for the old models, I have a 22 Mag for sale and am considering moving an 80 prefix SBH brass frame.... No decision yet, just thinking about it. :wink:

Dave

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I was at a range shooting a couple years ago when another fella showed up with his Ruger SBH 7.5" stainless that was given to him by his father. It was the Ruger's maiden voyage for him and I was looking at it and he told me to go ahead and shoot it. I tried to beg off but the guy insisted, so I pulled up on the target and bang I saw parts flying everywhere from the corner of my eye. The ERH and spring flew off and the screw sheared off even with the barrel. I felt awful but he said it would have happened no matter who fired it, which was exactly right.

Enigma

Hunter
I had a similar occurrence back when Jerry Ford was president, with my brand new .41 Mag Blackhawk. As I fired the third round, the ERH assembly departed the gun. This was before they drilled and tapped the barrel for a screw - they used to have a tapped stud attached to the barrel.

I repaired it myself, and it was still on the gun when I sold it some years later.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Pretty common for the screw to come loose on Vaqueros shooting cowboy action. Like they say Locktite.

mran1126

Bearcat
About 15 years ago had my ejector housing screw shear off. SBH stainless 7 1/2 inch barrel. Sent it to Ruger they just fixed it and sent it back. Fine ever since.

Yep, lots of stuff you can do with a gun that gets shot, regularly, but the operative point here, is, this brand-new gun was fired ONE ROUND when this ejector took a hike. It was factory Loc-Tited, but I do not believe the screw was ever screwed into the hole more than one thread to start with. Don't know if the original assembly-gorilla cross threaded the screw, or if the threads were buggered and one thread was "good enough", but somebody had to have known, but they put it in the box for shipping, anyway.

Bottom line is, they will fix it.

And I never got to shoot it. :cry:

WAYNO.

no5shooter

Bearcat
Yup, not the first time I've heard of this, and I even had it happen once. Old FTBH .44Mag, and the whole works went in the direction of the bullet. Just not quite as far. And all I lost was the spring. Managed to find the screw even, but no spring. Put it all back together with a drop of Loctite, and it's still working fine.

19112TAP

Bearcat
Good luck getting it back fast. I recently purchased one of the Bisley 44 Spl and the cylinder wouldn't rotate when cocking the hammer unless you helped it by hand rotating and the front sight was way to short along with being rotated at least 5 degrees off plumb. I did shoot 6 rounds at about 25 ft with it shooting 18" plus or minus high so I sent it back less than a week after buying it which was around the 26th of March and recieved it back June 10th, they did replace the barrel and some internal parts along with rebuling it looks great and works now.

cas6969

Buckeye
I hunted one year with my 500 Linebaugh, with electrical tape holding the ejector assembly on. Of course you had to unwrap the tape to knock out any fired shells. :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
"My Vaquero blew up......."

Why you trying to scare us like that? You don't need those parts anyway. Don't you got a pencil? :roll: :roll:

...I'm kidding, Jimbo