My SR1911CMD-NW only one with issues with Wilson magazines?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Century Limited

Bearcat
I purchased my first 1911 about 6 months ago and immediately purchased a couple of WILSON COMBAT - 1911 45ACP SERVICE MAG PLUS magazines from Brownell's. The magazines would jam in my gun once emptied so that the slide would be stuck open and one needed to push down on follower to get magazine out of pistol so slide could be closed. I decided to try a Kimber magazine, which I found to work fine with ball ammo, but would not feed semi wad cutters. Fortunately I came upon a good deal on Ruger mags and purchased a half dozen of them. They work great with all ammo tried so far including semi wad cutters. Brownell's ran a sale on the Wilson Combat .45ACP ELITE 8 RND TACTICAL MAGS a while back so I decided to try another one as Wilson Combat is supposed to be "THE MAGAZINE" that ALWAYS works. This one does not jam the slide and feeds ball ammo fine, but does not feed semi wad cutters. FWIW, my Marlin camp 45 magazine also will not feed SWC ammo.

Fortunately, I can just use the Ruger mags for my SWC loads, but am simply curious if anyone else has had issues. I have only run 500 or so rounds through so far, and love the gun, but am somewhat irritated that the magazines considered the best do not work well for me. Aside from he Marlin mag, all tried were brand new. I have yet to try heavier springs or followers, and figure I really have enough Ruger magazines to not really worry too much. The trouble is that when there are sales on the other mags as well as $x off of a $x purchase where I would get great deal on alternative mags as filler items to hit the purchase requirement.

Since the gun works with factory mags, I really would not want to send it in. I can also stick to ball ammo, but am working on reduced loads for the wife to shoot, and the 200 gr SWC bullets seem to fit the bill.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
I believe 8 round magazines are not recommended for the Commander. It is a known issue if I remember correctly.

emanIA

Bearcat
I bought my LWT CMD the end of April and bought three WC Elite mags a couple of weeks later. Only been to the range once since then but all three worked perfect for me. I find them easier to load than the stock Ruger ones. Now I didn't run anything but ball ammo through them so maybe that made the difference but I didn't have any FTF or slide issues.

Precision32

Blackhawk
Century Limited said:
I purchased my first 1911 about 6 months ago and immediately purchased a couple of WILSON COMBAT - 1911 45ACP SERVICE MAG PLUS magazines from Brownell's. The magazines would jam in my gun once emptied so that the slide would be stuck open and one needed to push down on follower to get magazine out of pistol so slide could be closed.
You do know that is the way the gun is designed to operate?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Precision32 said:
Century Limited said:
I purchased my first 1911 about 6 months ago and immediately purchased a couple of WILSON COMBAT - 1911 45ACP SERVICE MAG PLUS magazines from Brownell's. The magazines would jam in my gun once emptied so that the slide would be stuck open and one needed to push down on follower to get magazine out of pistol so slide could be closed.

Uh .... No .... It's not .....

REV

Precision32

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Precision32 said:
Century Limited said:

Uh .... No .... It's not .....

REV
Every one I've ever handled or built works as I described it. On firing the last round, the slide locks back on the slide release, pushed up by the mag follower. If you don't drop the mag, the only way you can get the slide to go forward is to push the follower down, releasing the slide release so it can be push down releasing the slide.

So tell me, where do you think I'm wrong?

98Redline

Blackhawk
He was saying that the only way he can get the mag out of the gun, when the slide is locked back, is to push down on the follower (i.e. finger in the ejection port). The mags don't drop free of the gun without this extra push.

Precision32

Blackhawk
When the slide is locked back there should be no pressure on any part of the mag or follower. The follower would be pressing up on the slide stop which should have been stopped by the slide stop notch on the slide. So what would hold the mag in the mag well that pushing the follower down would release?

As the OP has not returned to this thread we will of necessity have to guess as to exactly what his problem is.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Precision32 said:
When the slide is locked back there should be no pressure on any part of the mag or follower. The follower would be pressing up on the slide stop which should have been stopped by the slide stop notch on the slide. So what would hold the mag in the mag well that pushing the follower down would release?

Possible that the follower is jumping the slidestop lug. I've seen it happen with standard 7-round followers and lock the magazine up in the gun so tightly that I had to pop the slidestop partway out to get the mag to drop. The problem is usually with the follower.

james r jr

Single-Sixer
Precision32:

I only have one 1911 and i am no expert on the platform, but i can release the slide from being locked back with an empty mag simply by pulling back on the slide with a little downward force on the slide stop and letting the slide go forward with ease since the chamber is empty. The length of pull on the slide from locked is about 1/4". Give it a try.

Precision32

Blackhawk
I don't question that in the least. Take the forward slide pressure off the slide stop and yes, you can push the slide stop down, along with the mag follower and the slide will go forward. That is the normal operation of the firearm.

revhigh

Hawkeye
98Redline said:
He was saying that the only way he can get the mag out of the gun, when the slide is locked back, is to push down on the follower (i.e. finger in the ejection port). The mags don't drop free of the gun without this extra push.

Correct !

As I said .... That is not normal functionality ... as another poster claimed.

REV

Latest posts