My SR1911 loves the Lee 200 grain tumble lube SWC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovesrugers

Bearcat
I cast these bullets up out of range scrap I dug out of the berm. I loaded them in mixed 45 auto cases over 6.5 grains of Unique. As you can see by the below picture I think the gun likes this combo.

I shot this target off hand at seven yards. The left target has ten rounds through it and the right had fifteen through it.

Jerry
sr1911.jpg

scooter

Bearcat
what did you lube them with, and how well do they cast? i have never cast one of those tumble lube moulds.

scooter

Bearcat
what did you lube them with, and how well do they cast? i have never cast one of those tumble lube moulds.

lovesrugers

Bearcat
I lubed them with Lee Liquid Alox. As far as casting this one works great. Currently I only have the two cavity mold but I am most likely going to buy the six cavity version. It gets great reviews and is supposedly a step up in quality over the two cavity version.

Jerry

xtpshooter

Single-Sixer
Do you load them as cast or resize them? What is your COL with these bullets. Thanks, I have the same mould and an SR1911, I just might have to try these. Also curious if you slugged your barrell.

lovesrugers

Bearcat
I just loaded them as cast. My COL that I am using is 1.185". I have yet to slug my barrel.

Jerry

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Six and a half grains of Unique pushing a 200gr SWC is one authoritative load, my friend. Using current manuf.'d Unique, I've seen 980 fps with 200 gr TWC's in my 1911's. I've since backed off somewhat in deference to the gun, and some leading issues. I will say that Lee Liquid Alox, diluted about 30% with paint thinner makes it flow better, and works well up to 1000 fps with LSWC hand cast standard Lyman molds and no leading in my Ruger .44 Spls. It's easy...just swirl the bullets around in a plastic cool whip tub with a brief squirt of LLA and you're done...as cast! Regards, Rodfac

revhigh

Hawkeye
Rodfac said:
Six and a half grains of Unique pushing a 200gr SWC is one authoritative load, my friend. Using current manuf.'d Unique, I've seen 980 fps with 200 gr TWC's in my 1911's. I've since backed off somewhat in deference to the gun, and some leading issues.

I guess so .... the first thing I thought when I read your recipe was ..... WOW ... that's sure gonna fill the barrel with lead ... and then you said so at the end of the sentence. LOL. :D

Try 4.6 grains of 231. The most accurate light 45 load I've ever shot .... EVER.

REV

lovesrugers

Bearcat
Revhigh, my load of 6.5 grains does just fine. I get just a little bit of leading after a day of shooting this load. Nothing that isn't easily removed by a chore boy pad and my brush. I have yet to chrony the 6.5 grain load but I did chrony 6.7 grains of Unique with this bullet. The average velocity out of my SR1911 was 952 fps.

Yeah I am going on the high side but I am trying duplicate my carry loads as close as possibly cheaply. Thus using the range scrap lead.

Jerry

bigun

Bearcat
My springer shoots the lee 230 grain truncated cone bullets like a lazer. I have the 6 hole gang mold and use the tumble lube and it works great. By the way 3.6 grains of tightgroup is all it needs.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
In commenting previously on another poster's 6.5 grain Unique load, I mentioned that I'd tried it...a one time experimental deal, but did not intend to imply that it was my standard load. In my opinion, it's a hot load and stresses my guns too much...and yeah, I know it's listed as OK in several manuals.

For the record, my standard load for the .45 ACP, in all of my guns is: a quality 200 gr LSWC (TWC), pushed by 5.0 to 5.3 gr's of either Winchester 231 or HP38 for just over 800 fps. I use Winch. Primers in all hand gun loads requiring a standard primer, in deference to my Dillon 550B's which will not feed CCI's. I've yet to find that brass make makes any difference at all, though I did find that two boxes of the new Federal range ammunition with Small Pistol Primers, did group somewhat better...maybe 1/2" at 25 yds group size difference... but the difference could have been due to light, eye strain, or any one of a number of variables that come with 66 years on God's Green Earth.

Best Regards, Rod

mattsbox99

Hunter
Rod, I really like that 5.1 grain load of W231 also. It seems like all my 1911s like that with any 200 grain bullet. Funny how Dillon's are, mine doesn't care for Rem small pistol primers but CCIs feed great.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've not tried Remington primers in many years, Mattsbox, but neither the CCI small nor large pistol primers will feed reliably through my Dillons. Years ago, the American Rifleman's "Dope Bag" did a piece on primer strength or "brissiance". They concluded that Winchester's were as hot as you'd likely encounter and therefore any loads worked up with them could safely use one of the other makes without pressure concerns. At the time I was shooting an AR15 across the course and was pushing the envelope to some degree to get desired velocities out to 600 yds....and was interested in load pressures.

From that discussion and several loading experiments since, I've come to rely on Winchesters for 99% of my needs, and it's good too, since they are most often available here in Louisville at the big semi-annual gun shows at competitive prices. Too, I've yet to see, in my own experimentation, where primer brand made any difference on target. For me that means group size out to 250 yds with a rifle and 50 yds with a handgun. Those that bench rest and are interested in the last 1/16" of group size, primer type may make a difference, and more power to them.

I load all of my handgun needs on the two Dillon 550B's mentioned...but load for the rifles on an ancient Herter's #3 and a more modern Herrell turret. This last, is a precision piece of equipment, well worth the $250+ I spent on it, and gives less that 0.003" runout on loaded rounds. The ancient Herters #3 gives me 0.004-5"...in other words, not enough to matter out to 250-300 yds!

Best Regards, Rod