My Skeeter Gun...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mb111263

Single-Sixer
Ever since seeing Boge's Skeeter Gun, I have dreamed of building my own. If you don't remember his, check it out here...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=70070&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=skeeter&start=15

My intention was to find a suitable Flattop 357, and have it converted to 44 special. While I was dreaming on that, along came the first run of Lipsey's 44 specials. I picked up one in each barrel length. The 4 5/8" would be my Skeeter Gun, while the 5 1/2" would be my Keith No.5...but that project is another story.

This past summer, the 4 5/8" sixgun accompanied me to Idaho for a visit with Dick Thompson. Shortly after arriving, we dropped the little sixgun off with Dick's gunsmith son, Shane. I asked Shane to slick up the action, and modify the front sight by milling it to .100 wide and reshaping the blade to the Keith/TLA patridge profile. This blade profile provides a sharp sight picture in bright or low light conditions and looks great. Out of the box, the trigger had a lot of creep and was heavy. Pulling the hammer back was equally rough, and I had several failures to ignite primers with both handloads and factory ammo. When Shane handed me the gun, I was very pleased to find the gritty feel was gone when cocking the hammer, and the trigger pull broke like glass with no creep. Since the action job, I have had no more failures to fire. Thanks, Shane!

Next thing for the Skeeter Gun was a Belt Mountain No.5 basepin. A few days after a phone conversation with Kelye Schlepp, a new .400 diameter No.5 basepin arrived, with an added touch. Kelye took his parting tool and cut a raised rib in the middle of the No.5 hourglass shaped head, replicating the basepins built by Bill Grover for his Texas Longhorn Arms, Improved Number 5 revolvers. Though it is a subtle touch, I feel it adds class to an already classy basepin. Kelye says he will be doing more basepins like this. Thanks, Kelye!

The Lipsey's guns came with what I think are very cool looking, retro hard rubber stocks, but the Skeeter Gun needed something more traditional. After several conversations with Dick Thompson, we settled on a set carved from Curly Maple. I have a few sets of stocks from Dick that he sent in the rough for me to fit. For this project, I wanted a finished set made by Dick. He cut them slim to my liking, but thicker than the factory stocks, and in my hand they feel great. The Curly Maple was a very unique choice, and the photo doesn't do them justice. Thanks, Dick!

There are still a few more things to be done before this project is complete, but I think I will just shoot it for a while! Thanks for looking!

P1010151.jpg

P1010153-1.jpg

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Mike,

very nice. it's subtle touches like what you had done to the base pin that i dig the most on customs.

I also like your choice in front sight blade.

~c.r.

contender

Ruger Guru
Very nice Mike! While we've never met,, I had the pleasure of admiring your handiwork at Dicks last fall. To see you getting a gun fixed up to your liking such as that one,, and knowing what it rides in,, well, all I can say is "Classy!"

Fowler

Single-Sixer
Projects like this when they involve close friends just end up meaning so much more when the project is finished.

Too bad you don't know some one who could stitch you a good holster for that gun. What did Skeeter carry his in anyways?

mb111263

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys! I will eventually send it to Alan Harton for his beautiful blackpowder bevel on the cylinder, add a dab of weld to the top of the front sight and reblue it...but like I said, I'm gonna shoot it for a while!

Skeeter passed away before the first Skeeter Skelton Special was built, but he had a trunk full of great leather by many makers, some long gone, others that are still with us, to choose from.

I have been carrying mine in one of my Hank Sloan holsters...

P1010154.jpg

mb111263

Single-Sixer
Yeah, Dick told me he built a pair for his OM SBH from the same piece of maple...how cool is that? :D

sixshot

Buckeye
Up until a few weeks ago I just wasn't that crazy about maple stocks but after doing a couple of pair I've changed my mind, they really look nice on that blued gun Mike...and the leather is awesome!

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Great lookin' gun, Mike, with a lot of history already ingrained in it ! Just needs a badger notch in the grip to complete the WHOLE package. :lol:

We know there aren't any in Pa. or Md. Guess we got to go back to Idyho :D

mb111263

Single-Sixer
tek4260 said:
Is that the factory front with a bit of file work?

It is the factory sight, and Dick's son Shane milled the blade to .100" wide and cut it to the Keith/TLA profile.

newrugersafan

Single-Sixer
Looks good Mike.

I have a Powers # 5 grip frame for my Lipseys 44 special and was going to do a low budget gun to match my Keith, Skeeter and Grover 44 Special that Alan built for me but I have been shooting it a lot with the Skeeter load and like the way it handles. I may just do a set of grips and a base pin and leave it as is for a while. I have not had any problems with the base pin jumping but yours looks a lot better with the Belt Mountain pin.

Talk to Alan about adding serrations to the sight after he welds it up, cuts down on glare and looks "classy" too.

Mike

Latest posts