MY NEWEST "NEW" RUGER!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

I started my search for an OM Ruger .45 Colt with a 4-5/8" barrel sometime back in the middle of May. Several nice people sent me PMs or left messages here, saying they had one they'd sell me. I knew it was going to be a hard decision to make, because they all looked good.

But things kept coming up. Stupid things like...well, home repairs (someone shot my house), auto repairs, and insurance premiums. You know, those things you just sort of have to grit your teeth and write checks for?

So I finally decided it was this month or never. And after looking at all my choices, I bought a gun from my new friend, Vince, in Arizona. Vince also imparted a lot of his knowledge about OM Rugers to me, for which I'm grateful.
But the new boy came home with me today. He'll be getting some new leather in the near future, courtesy of Craig here on the forum. If you haven't seen Craig's work yet, take a look at it at http://www.sixgunleather.com/index.html. I think the best is yet to come from him.

I made a few photos of the new gun. Here are a couple of them.

That's a big ol' hole in the end of that barrel, isn't it? I swear I love these old guns that shoot those big fat bullets.

45-3_zpsa1e27f06.jpg~original

45-1_zpscb181ffb.jpg~original

CMH

Blackhawk
Very nice :) Good for you............ I know all to well about all those things that get in the way of a good revolver purchase :lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
Great pics of one of the most sought after guns. I had to check the numbers on my bunch to make sure none were close to yours! :D

A

Anonymous

contender said:
Great pics of one of the most sought after guns.

Thanks for the compliment on the photography. Of all the Old Model Rugers I've bought so far this year (with a couple more in the pipeline), one in this condition is what I really wanted. It's the gun that reminds me the most of how much I wanted to be a cowboy when I was younger. The 7.5-inch models...the .45s, the .44s, and even the 6.5-inch .357s are all beautiful guns and look very cowboyish and gunfighter-like, but right now, this one's my favorite. It's so well balanced, too. And that little red and white sign on the ammo box...Made in U.S.A....has a lot to do with it, too.

45-4_zpsf8f484fb.jpg~original

CraigC

Hawkeye
Oh boy, that's a nice one! I've long wanted a 4 5/8" OM .45, preferably a convertible. I already have a couple spare XR3 grip frames should I ever find one.

A

Anonymous

Wyandot Jim said:
Very nice gun and great pictures. You might want to find the correct grips for it :wink:

Thanks for the compliment. Them correct grips you talkin' 'bout, they gon' make my little sixgun shoot better? :wink:

And yeah, I know...or think I know...that '72 was supposed to have been the last year for the silver eagle on the black background for the .45s. Or something like that. I can't keep up with all the minutae of Ruger grips over the years, plus I'm not that big of a purist. I buy old models only. The grips...whatever design they may be...allow me to hold the gun, pull the trigger, and hear it go boom. That's good enough for me.

Besides, I'll probably have some custom grips made for it, anyway. But if you read this and think about it, describe the correct grips for me. There's a gun show in town this weekend, so maybe I'll go looking.

45-7_zpsd9aa953c.jpg~original

gunsbam69

Hunter
Good lookin old .45 :D These are my favorite old models :D Does anyone know if there are any that left the factory with double eagles :?:

A

Anonymous

Wyandot Jim said:
A few 45s
The grips should be the Silver Eagle/Squashed Chicken and blue screw not Stainless.

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have a close up photo of the grips you're talking about, so I could get a better idea of what they look like? That's a lot of .45s you got there.

5of7

Hunter
could some here please post pictures of 'squashed chicken' grips and a set of another set that ain't? I would like to see the difference. 8)

street

Hunter
The Eagle should be flat and not well defined, "AKA Squashed Chicken", but should be polished to a very high polish and chrome plated. Just as Wyandot Jim has pictured above.

GoFullAuto

Bearcat
I share your preference for the shortest-tubed BH/SBH. The proportions and balance are just perfect, to my taste.
I found it by chance in a gunshop near Florence. Till that moment I had been "sure" that the 4-5/8" had never been imported in Italy. And there it was. I came for my Browning Pro-40 (FNP40 in the US) and I went back home with both.

Mine's a SBH .44, ammo available everywhere and that MASSIVE unfluted cylinder.

It manages to be classic, sleek and choppy/muscular all in one, based on the view you choose.

For some reason, stretching out to 50 metres I seem to be shooting it less accurately than my Redhawks. I think I feel much easier to see, the outlined / colored RH sights, compared to the classic black-on-black of the SBH. But then who cares :)

Thanks for sharing! :)

GfA