My New P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rawhide64

Bearcat
I've been waiting for months for my daughter and her family to move out. That happened 2 weeks ago and I found a stainless P95 where I wanted to do business. I had fired a KelTec PF9, Springfield XD, Glock 17, Glock 19, and an older P95 before making my final decision. I like the idea of "Made in the USA", the P95 sat easy in my hand, and I shot it better than anything else I shot. First time out I put 120 rounds of Federal, Tula brass, and Blazer Brass (cheap Walmart ammo) through it without a hiccup. I'm recovering from a shoulder injury or I would have shot more. The DA trigger pull is long and strong but feels smooth to me. The SA trigger pull is sweet. That was also the opinion of a shooting instructor I asked to shoot it. He drove tacks with it at 7 yards. The P95 will do the job I bought it for. I hope the picture comes through.

Ruger%2520P95%2520002.jpg

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
Congrats on your purchase.

If you replaced the mainspring with a 19 or 20 pound one from Wolff, the DA pull would smooth out more. It would still be long as it is the nature of the beast. The SA pull will still have takeup and overtravel, but it's in the 5.0 to 5.5 pound range, so it's not too bad for a TDA pistol.

VA Dave

Bearcat
I just took my new P95 to the range this morning. I only shot 50 rounds (Fiocchi 115 gr. FMJ Ball ammo) but it was flawless and accurate. The trigger (in SA) is sweet. I am very happy with the purchase. :D

At the recent East Coast Ruger Gathering Contender set up a course of fire for us.... I used a basic P95... the only time I used the sights was on the last two targets that were something like 25ft away. The other 7 targets I just used point and shoot. I like P95 decocks and am in the market for another.

Glad you are happy and welcome!

rawhide64

Bearcat
This is my first semi auto and I'm 72. Been waiting a while to get one and it's for home defense and range work. When I got it home I field stripped it, cleaned out all of the preservative, and lightly lubed it. I had to wait 5 days after that before I could get to the range. The gun is everything I expected and more. I'm a happy camper.

roylt

Hunter
blume357 said:
At the recent East Coast Ruger Gathering Contender set up a course of fire for us.... I used a basic P95... the only time I used the sights was on the last two targets that were something like 25ft away. The other 7 targets I just used point and shoot. I like P95 decocks and am in the market for another.

Glad you are happy and welcome!

You're always looking for a 95DC. lol How many you got now 5 or so? haha

Here's one thing that sticks with me in regards to a new semi-auto pistol. At least I picked this up off the internet many years ago... (it was on the internet, it must be true!)

Don't do anything to a semi-auto pistol until after you've put 300-500 rounds through it. This is the break in period and much of the workings with smooth out from this.

rawhide64

Bearcat
That's the plan. I'm going to the range on Tuesday and by the time I leave I expect to be near the 300 round mark. I got this for home defense so I'm working on getting very familiar with the pistol with an emphasis on safety, improving my shooting skills, and develop workarounds for some physical challenges a long life has imposed on me. My bride of 50 years calls it my toy and that may be but I developed a plan to get the maximum benefit from my "toy". Multiple trips to Walmart got me enough ammo to break it in, I joined a local gun club where I'm getting excellent refresher training, and I concentrate on the fundamentals on every round fired. One thing I've noticed is that I can shoot the P95 a lot and my hands and trigger finger feel zero ill effects. Now, if I fired every shot double action that would probably be different but I fire 5 to 10 rounds single action for every one I fire double action. I like this gun.

VA Dave

Bearcat
rawhide64 said:
That's the plan. I'm going to the range on Tuesday and by the time I leave I expect to be near the 300 round mark. I got this for home defense so I'm working on getting very familiar with the pistol with an emphasis on safety, improving my shooting skills, and develop workarounds for some physical challenges a long life has imposed on me. My bride of 50 years calls it my toy and that may be but I developed a plan to get the maximum benefit from my "toy". Multiple trips to Walmart got me enough ammo to break it in, I joined a local gun club where I'm getting excellent refresher training, and I concentrate on the fundamentals on every round fired. One thing I've noticed is that I can shoot the P95 a lot and my hands and trigger finger feel zero ill effects. Now, if I fired every shot double action that would probably be different but I fire 5 to 10 rounds single action for every one I fire double action. I like this gun.
Men NEED toys! I'm 67 and I didn't take up shooting until about 3 years ago but I'd be at the range every day if I could afford the ammo. Glad you are enjoying the P95 it is a great gun. :D

RUGERFAN357

Bearcat
Congrats on the new gun. I had 2 different P95's. I got one when they first came out. Loved it. But then had to sell it. As soon as I could, I got another one. I do not remember why I got rid of the second one. But I have not had one in years. Now I have a SR9c and love it. And I will have that one till the government takes it away. But the P95 is a fine gun. I have thought of getting one for home defense, to use with my shotgun if need be.

Bill

Capt.Dan

Bearcat
Years ago I bought a P95 along with a PC-9, both use the same magazines and make a great little duo!

k8vf

Bearcat
I have had a p95DC for several years. The old style, no rail. Bought used.
Never an issue, probably 2000 rounds through it with plinking, Sheriff's posse practice and qualifying.
Never a bobble, FMJ or Hollow points.
one 15 round and 2 10 round ruger mags.

I put a Hogue Handall on mine, it really fits well, hard to get on though.

Serpa holster is nice, and holds it tight.

My only complaint is that I could not move the rear sight no matter what I did....it shot to point of aim for me, so no issue, but it would not move.

I would love to get a p97dc, but havent seen one near here in years.

K8VF