My new Marlin/Ruger Classic .44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ethang

Blackhawk
I misread this at first... thought you "foolishly walked out with it" when I first read this and was thinking how dumb that was, because the rifle is so gorgeous....it's even worse reading it correctly... :)

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I have a first Gen Ruger .44 carbine but don't want to shoot it too much.
I also have a Marlin 336C and like it a bunch and the OP has me thinking of a 1894 to satisfy my .44 mag carbine needs which would see more use. A lever action in .44 on my short list. I've never find one as pretty as the OP's though. Marlin walnut grain on my C is straight and blah.

Ruel C. Jones

Bearcat
Wow! Those pics make me think on mid 1970s when JM came out with the little carbines in 44 Mag. and 367 Mag. at J. M. Fields stores. At that time I didn't have the
$67.88 to buy a toy. Some of the Engineers I worked with got to go to the back room and pick through the stock and got fantastic wood choises. How badly the economy has inflated. I did get my first No.1 soon after as a barreled action for $149.98. The distributer made a mistake and sent a No. 1 B 30-06 rifle with fiddle-back figured wood and I only had to pay the difference in shipping, about $20. Days long gone.

Ruel

Very Very nice. I still have my 1894 Carbine in 357 that I bought in 1979 for $170.00
I'm curious as to which rifling they used Micro Groove or Ballard
Jim,
From the 'Marlin' web page, "Barrel is made of alloy steel and is cold hammer-forged which results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy and longevity". So I infer that its not Micro Groove and is Rugers normal rifling process.
Regards,
Jerry

Thanks, The reason I asked was Marlin did NOT recommend shooting hard cast lead bullets in the Micro Groove barrels. The Cowboy Models had Ballard barrels. I shot 100s in my Carbine in SASS matches with no problem. Doesn't sound like any problems with the new ones. :)

Last edited:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Nice grab. I just purchased one today myself. Our new law requires I wait 72 hours to pick it up. I was surprised at how nice the wood was. Not quite as nice as yours though! Fit and finish overall was very nice. I paid MSRP for mine, but no regrets.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
I usually remove the cross bolt safety on my Marlins and install the plug that looks like a screw on the right side.

However, this time I am trying the rubber "O" ring trick which really does't look too bad. I found that a #36 "O" ring seems to be just right. In the future I may still install the plug which I prefer.

Trooper Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 89

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Sold mine several years ago and have no regrets. I prefer 45C. BUT, if mine had looked like that, I'd still have it.
Seems like Marlin has improved their checkering too. The old marlin pressed in checkering was not worthy of the firearm IMHO.
Congrats on a beautiful rifle!

I usually remove the cross bolt safety on my Marlins and install the plug that looks like a screw on the right side.

However, this time I am trying the rubber "O" ring trick which really does't look too bad. I found that a #36 "O" ring seems to be just right. In the future I may still install the plug which I prefer.

Trooper Joe
I have used the "O" ring on all my Marlins while shooting SASS. They work great, but the plug looks better.

The 44 mag is a much better round for lever rifle since you don't get all of the blow by that you get with the 45 Colt. 45 Colt was never made for rifles until SASS came along. For some reason the 45 Colt case has more clearance in the chamber than other rounds both in rifle and pistol. IMHO Yes I have loaded stout loads that are supposed to expand the case more NAAAAA, When shooting black powder it becomes a rear mess compared to a 44-40 or even 357.
Yea I got a couple in 45 Colt:)

1692455380542.png

At the top
30-30
45 Colt
44-40

1692455452846.png

44-40
1692456015008.png