My new Alaskan (pics)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ccjcc81

Bearcat
I got a new Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44mag at the gun show this weekend. Below is a short story, some pics, and a few questions.

I was in the market for a new .357, and my decision to buy a Ruger was an easy one. I used to have a Security Six with a 4" bbl that my father passed on to me. This Security Six looked like it was produced in the 1800's and had survived every war since. It was in very bad shape cosmetically when my father got it, but it shot straight and had a pretty tight lock up. I loved it. I passed it on to my little brother because he didn't have a decent handgun, and set out to replace it. After much deliberation I decided on a stainless GP100 with a 3" bbl. I went to the gun show and found what I was looking for, but sitting right next to it was the .44mag Alaskan. I picked it up and awed over it as I have at every gun show that I have attended over the last few years. Usually I just gawk at it and imagine how nice it would be to have one. This time, however, I actually considered buying it.

Usually I consider myself a practical person. I also used to have the misconception that the .44 mag was an impractical round for anything other than deadly game defense. I usually buy 9mm's and .45's. But this time the desire to own this pistol overpowered my "practicality" and I was filling out the paperwork in no time. After I bought this pistol I was concerned that I may have made a mistake. I have never owned a .44mag and I was worried that it might be more pistol than I could handle. I was worried that with such a short bbl I wouldn't be able to effectively use the .44mag, and that it was silly to purchase this gun, seeing as we don't have bear in this part of Texas any more. I consoled myself with the idea that at least I could run 44spcl through it and still have better balistic results than a .45 (or so I've heard.)

Right after the gun show I decided to go shoot it. It was too late to find a range, so I went to a buddy's house. This friend has a slightly larger yard than the ones in the suburbs where I dwell. He has neighbors, so to be polite I set out only to shoot 4 rounds. I picked up a box of .44mag and .44 spcl at the gun show, so I hastily shot two of each. First one of each was single action, quickly followed by a double action shot to see how fast I could follow up. This is where it got very exciting.

Try to refrain from laughing at me too much. Aw hell, I won't be able to hear you, laugh away.

I fired the .44 spcl first to get an idea of how bad the recoil was going to be. Magtech 200gr. L-flat lead cowboy action loads to be exact (the only .44spcl I could find at the show.) I didn't intend to, but I flinched hard as I pulled the trigger, expecting quite a bang. However, Right after I pulled the trigger on the first round, I noticed a serious problem. My initial fear was that the round was a squib, because there was way too little recoil. I unloaded the gun and checked the bbl to see if there was a round lodged in there. The gun was clean, so I loaded it back up and fired the second round, careful not to flinch so I could see the bullet strike the dirt that I was shooting at. And once again, almost no recoil. I think I've shot .22 pistols with more recoil. I was amazed.

I followed up with the 2 .44 mag rounds. Fiocchi Extrema XTP 240gr jhp's. Once again, I was simply amazed! The recoil seemed exactly like the .357 Security Six with hot loads. I couldn't believe it. Easily manageable. At that point I was totally relieved about my purchase, and I fell in love with the gun.

I have no doubt that the hefty weight of this gun, combined with the Hogue grip that it comes with ate all of the recoil. Also, while I don't know much about the caliber, I suspect that these Fiocchi's might be a more mild load. I am in love with the .44 mag now, I AM IN.

As I said before, I don't know much about the caliber, so could you guys give me a hint as to who makes jhp's with decent expansion? I want to try a wide variety to see exactly what the hottest load I can comfortably shoot out of this pistol will be. If you have any idea of what brand and load is best suited for a short bbl like the one on the Alaskan, please chime in. I am definatley willing to at least try some of the hotter loads, so let me know what your favorite is.

I easily recommend this pistol. I intend to carry it in the truck, and if I can manage to find a holster that can do it, I will conceal carry it on my person. I can handle the extra weight.

If fear of recoil is the only thing that is stopping you from buying this gun, my opinion is that you will not be dissatisfied with it.

Hey, where's the spell check?

Here are some pics of the gun.
I also picked up a neat shirt at the show. If the quote on the shirt is lost on you, allow me to enlighten. It is a reference to the "Come and take it cannon" of the Texas revolution. The Mexican Army failed an attempt to dissarm the citizens of Gonzales Texas. It is not an invitation for you to come to my house and take my new Ruger. I thought the shirt would make a nifty backdrop, please excuse me if this is in bad taste.
100_0594.jpg

100_0597.jpg

100_0598.jpg

100_0595.jpg

100_0599.jpg

100_0601.jpg

100_0603.jpg

100_0604.jpg

100_0605.jpg

This is the ammo I picked up at the show. I am very pleased with the Fiocchi, although I still need your feedback on some others to try please.

100_0606.jpg

100_0607.jpg

I was particullarly impressed with the Fiocchi. I don't ever remember seeing such a tight roll crimp before. Check it out.

100_0608.jpg

smokehouse

Bearcat
For plinking I use Fiocchi 240 gr SJSP rounds. I gan get the locally for $25/50 rds. They are cheap, clean and accurate...so far I've fired 200 or so with no problems from my SRH...

AZBru88

Bearcat
Sweet! On my too buy list! Now its time to invest in a Dillon 550b reloader! Crank out a bunch of rounds and shoot the heck out of that great gun! Have a ball! 44mag is so fun, light loads for plinking, heavy for self defense. You'll surprise yourself how well that short barrel will shoot. I used to carry a 3" 629 for CCW for years, I got to where 100 yard shots where almost easy! But I've put 25k rounds through 44's over the years (helps when your buddy owns a bullet business). My fav. Enjoy!

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
ccjcc81":1io7ini9 said:
and if I can manage to find a holster that can do it, I will conceal carry it on my person.

That's what snubbies are for. LOL The only thing I can think of that would be more awesome than that is the S&W .500 mag snubby. :shock:

Congrats on the new toy. Enjoy it safely. I think I just definitely added on to the list because of your review. Also, I think the shirt fits perfectly.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Your experience sounds just like mine. A friend bought a brand new, NM SBH in 1973. I gave him all kinds of s**t, about not being able to hit the broad side of a barn, from the inside. He handed me the gun, and told me to try it out. I fired 6 rouinds through it, and immediately swapped my Marlin 44 Mag for it, right on the spot, and never looked back. I've had any number of 44 Mags, since then. Presently a 44 Mag OM SBH, and a 44 mag Alaskan. I recently sold off my S&W 629, and a 44 mag Redhawk.
Glad you like your's. :D

EarlFH

albertjohnson

Bearcat
Great story CCJCC...as I was reading it, it made me think of finding a new beautiful woman, and trading in the old woman.

I'm hooked too and I haven't even shot one yet. Plan to sell the old SW 29 and step up.

Good luck with her.

flatheadsal

Single-Sixer
Love a gun story with a happy ending!!!! Welcome to the forum, great bunch of knuckleheads here, ( I say that in a loving way of course, lol), flatheadsal

stmry

Single-Sixer
Make certain your cat isn't sleepng in the barrel before you shoot it. congrats from NH

ewayte

Bearcat
Congrats on your purchase! I wish Ruger had used the unfluted cylinder on the .44 like they did with the .454 and the .480.

maxpress

Buckeye
tek4260":1svco99u said:
Look at those ammo prices!!!! Oh my :lol:

Reload!

wow thats what i was thinking. i was complaining cause its getting up to $5 a box of 50 reloads for components. guess ill shut up now.

1911pro

Bearcat
Nice peice. Try Milt Sparks. They did a Versa Max for my 3inch 629 with full barrel lug and unfluted cylinder. It makes IWB carry easy with a large revolver.

Welcome to a great forum, and congrats on a great revolver.
That will most likely be my next Ruger. I have a RedHawk and a Super RedHawk, both with 7.5" barrels. I am trying to decide on a SRH Alaskan, or sending my SRH to Mag-Na-Port and have their "480 Advantage" job done on it.

ccjcc, some nice pictures you got. Who's going to pick up all that ammo? :D Buffalo Bore, Corbon, and others have some stouter ammo. I usually use the 325 gr but I believe it's pretty easy to get up to 340 grain in 44 Mag. I don't put a huge emphasis on speed as much as a good heavy solid bullet for what I carry for. My Alaskan is a 454 and I just shoot the 45 Colt +P 325's out of that. I don't mind the 454's but I have a lot of confidence in the 45 Colt and prefer it for a quicker follow up shot in case a bear gets after me.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
I occasionally CCW my .44 Alaskan IWB in a Simply Rugged holster with the optional IWB belt loops. It conceals nicely beneath a sweat shirt or loose Hawaiian shirt. Due to the weight, however, I have to cinch my belt a bit tighter than I'm comfortable with. My daughter chose an Alaskan as her primary center fire handgun. She prefers the 200 Gr. cowboy loads, and she can definitely hit what she aims at.