My GP100 44 arrived with 2 issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

snuffy33

Bearcat
Glad to hear that. Now I'll just have to wait for the "good ones" to filter down to the dealers.

md8232

Bearcat
DPris said:
Got my replacement sample today.

Gunsmith measured:

MUCH better than the first sample. :)

I'd say Ruger's on top of it now as far as consistency goes.
Denis

Great news. Are all the other issues settled too?

DPris

Buckeye
There's still a very slight gap under the front sight, but nowhere near as un....sightly as the first sample. :)
Base still slightly overhangs the front of the barrel rib.

If this one shoots tighter overall than the first one, the plan is to do a custom job on it, which will involve replacing the rear sight with a Bowen.

Undecided whether or not to keep the front one or have a gold dot fabricated.
If I keep the front sight, I'll just have my gunsmith mill that overhanging base back to where it doesn't overhang anymore.

It's only a minor cosmetic issue, but still.... :)
Denis

dad45

Single-Sixer
DPris said:
Got my replacement sample today.

Gunsmith measured:

MUCH better than the first sample. :)

I'd say Ruger's on top of it now as far as consistency goes
Denis

Good deal glad to hear this, I think I may finally call for a return label next week
Thanks for the update
How did you describe the throat issue? Did you simply say hey they measure out large or did you have to throw in a comment of accuracy problems as well?
For me both descriptions are accurate I'm just courious if you had to sell it if you know what I mean
Thanks

DPris

Buckeye
This was outside the normal customer service chain.

In discussing the throat issues with my first sample & those reported on Internet forums with two product managers at Ruger, they acknowledged the throats & sight gap, were going to get on the issues in production & wanted to send a second sample.

I returned the first about two days before the second arrived.

If you're going to return a GP .44 Spec for corrections, just include a note inside the box with the gun specifying that the chamber throats are off/too large/inconsistent or whatever, and you're not happy with the front sight, if yours has the very visible gap under it.

The intake & repair people are very much aware of the situation by now.
Denis

md8232

Bearcat
DPris said:
This was outside the normal customer service chain.

In discussing the throat issues with my first sample & those reported on Internet forums with two product managers at Ruger, they acknowledged the throats & sight gap, were going to get on the issues in production & wanted to send a second sample.

I returned the first about two days before the second arrived.

If you're going to return a GP .44 Spec for corrections, just include a note inside the box with the gun specifying that the chamber throats are off/too large/inconsistent or whatever, and you're not happy with the front sight, if yours has the very visible gap under it.

The intake & repair people are very much aware of the situation by now.
Denis

Denis,

Did any of the guns you received have the rough surface on the trigger guard? Mine does and that is one more thing I'm watching.

DPris

Buckeye
Didn't notice anything unusual on the first sample, see nothing unusual on this one.
Denis

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Captain America said:
I just watched Jeff's review on Gunblast.com through my TV, you can clearly see when he's handling the gun that his front sight is the same way. I froze the video at 2:56 and you can see the gap, obviously that's the way they're made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTeD5WbOaGc

Freeze the video at 9:32. Very clear up close view of the front sight. Big gap for sure

jules

Single-Sixer
Got out with mine today. Nothing to write home about but ran like a champ. This is about as good as I can shoot with this load at 25yds. 7.2gr Unique and a 200gr cast RNFP. I have no clue where the 5th round went in the lower target.
IMG_20170401_195531810.jpg

IMG_20170401_191625023.jpg

md8232

Bearcat
My gun is back, no thanks to Ruger who got my address wrong. Fortunately, I keep UPS busy enough that they know where I live.
First thing I notice is there is still a gap under the Front Sight. A business card will just get under it. Before it was easy.
They polished both sides of the trigger guard and that is a noticeable improvement.
New Barrel.
Polished the gun.
Smoothed the DA pull. It will occasionally register on my Lyman gauge now, before it was always over limit. A sub 4 Lb. SA, thats pretty nice.
No response to any of the questions I asked them.
Target included. It looks like the other targets that have been posted. Maybe they shot once and copied many?
I'm torn about returning it again and hoping the next batch of barrels have the sights on right. But it feels so good in hand.

Noah Zark

Bearcat
The front sight on my 1761 sits high with a pretty wide gap, and the throats all measure between 0.4300" and 0.4305" with accredited calibrated pin gauges and verified by an accredited calibrated digital caliper.

But the gun delivers ORH accuracy at 50 ft with 6.8 gr of Unique under Steel Valley Casting coated 240 gr SWCs. And because of that, I'm not touching it. The gap is purely cosmetic; there's no structural issue. And if the sight body wasn't so long, just a post, it'd be a non-issue, IMO. This is a personal perception thing; some here aren't satisfied with that gap under the sight and I respect that. IMO, no big deal because only results count.

And I really like the results this thing delivers.

Noah

hoser

Bearcat
I'm considering one of these. So it sounds like Ruger has addressed all concerns and issues? Has anyone bought a very recent one in the past couple of months to give us update?

Rclark

Hunter
My front sight on the Talo GP-100 .44 Special is fine. I picked up revolver on Saturday. Just a tiny gap, but hardly noticeable. At the gun shop, there was another GP-100 with that icky green sight sitting next to it, and there was the 'large' gap noted as in posts above. I did check the cylinder gap which is .006. Time to get out my pin gauges I guess and check the throats. Heavy SA trigger pull, but breaks clean. Real accuracy is up in the air, but was hitting the steel out to 35-40 yards (round target and man size) was easy after a zeroing session without paper targets. Gun was shooting high, out of the box. Skeeter loads used for testing.

{edited} I just did the 'lazy man' throat check. A .430 SWC would pass through each throat with some finger pressure. No difference in feel from throat to throat. That's good! And a loaded .44Mag round would not chamber. Oh yeah, after I cleaned up the gun after firing on Sunday, there was no sign of any serious leading (only 60 rounds or so). Just ran a hoppes #9 patch, and then a dry patch. Done. Checked bore with a bore light.