Mounting a red dot on a 10 22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alpags

Bearcat
Looking for advice on the recommended position for mounting a red dot sight on my 10 22. I have heard everything from back, middle and forward position. Does it matter, or is it personal preference?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I have a red dot on one of my 10/22's. I chose to go the simple route,,, by using the existing scope base holes to get a base that will allow my red dot to mount right up. Easy-peasy!

contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
I have a red dot on one of my 10/22's. I chose to go the simple route,,, by using the existing scope base holes to get a base that will allow my red dot to mount right up. Easy-peasy!

Ditto....also, you want the MOA (size) of the Red Dot to be as small as possible and also I've found it's actually better to use the dot on the lowest light setting you can still see it with.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
....also, you want the MOA (size) of the Red Dot to be as small as possible and also I've found it's actually better to use the dot on the lowest light setting you can still see it with.
That depends on what type of shooting you are going to do. If targets or small game are the use, then yes, a small dot at the lowest visible setting will give the best accuracy. However, for speed shooting like "Steel Challenge" or rimfire knockdown steel plate shooting, a BIG bright dot is much faster to find and track with.

9x19

Hunter
Unless you are using a fast fire sized sight or an after-market extended rail, there isn't much of a difference in 'to the rear' or 'to the front' on 4" of rail.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
As 9x19 said it's only a few inches whatever works for you, I have a RAR in 300 bo and mine is mounted forward on the rail to not interfere with bolt operations.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I use the normal weaver rail position with a C-More for Steel Challenge shooting. I uses a 12 minute dot but could probably go with the 16 minute for pure speed. If hunting or accuracy I change out the dot for a 3 minute module.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The farther forward you mount the sight, the less of the field you will obstruct with the sight body, but the less field you'll have in the window. This lets you keep an eye on the field better, since less is obscured.

Alternatively, the farther rearward you mount the sight, the more of the field it obscures, but the more field you'll see through the window.

How much that matters for YOU is subjective. For example, I have a FastFire on a couple of my shotguns - prefer the SpeedBead mount near my eye for this, as opposed to a receiver mount, because I can see more of the field and better track select moving targets in the air - all of the movement is viewed through the window. Alternatively, on my 3gun AR, I mounted the dot farther forward to let me keep a better eye on the field so I can better see subsequent targets in the string.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I have a 10/22 with a Ruger Picatinny rail and a Bushnell TRS25 red dot I use for steel challenge matches (actually match, today was the first time I used it). I have the dot mounted as far back on the rail as possible so the field of view through it is maximized. I'm cross-dominant (left handed, right master eye) so I have to shoot with my right eye closed and seeing around the red dot isn't useful. It worked remarkably well that way.

I could be wrong on this but if you ever get the big catalog from Midway and look at all their offerings for red dots... it seems obvious to me that they are pretty much all made by one or two companies in China... and just have different paint and labels put on them.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
blume357 said:
I could be wrong on this but if you ever get the big catalog from Midway and look at all their offerings for red dots... it seems obvious to me that they are pretty much all made by one or two companies in China... and just have different paint and labels put on them.
For the cheap red dots selling for under $100 that's probably true. The higher line dots such as Eotech, Leupold, Trijcon, C-more, etc. are either domestic, European or in better manufacturers in Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines or China.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Yeah, this would be more interesting to hear some follow-up from the guy who asked the question...

In my travels, the farther forward a red-dot is mounted the faster pickup is made. Red-dot "scopes" with no magnification are designed to be used with BOTH eyes open. Fwd mounting benefits that skill set.

hdrk1111

Bearcat
I'm using a Tasso pro point 45mm dot. It is 3moa and I run it for two gun rimfire and also club level rimfire steel challenge. I agree with Hunter, big bright dot is easier to transition from plate to plate with this setting. I also have the same sight on my mkII as well. Works perfectly on these rimfires and offers a great field of view.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mohavesam said:
Red-dot "scopes" with no magnification are designed to be used with BOTH eyes open. Fwd mounting benefits that skill set.
They might be designed that way but not all shooters are. I'm cross dominant (left-handed-right eye) and if I try to use a red dot with both eyes open the dot seen through my left eye is way off of the target seen by my right eye.

Clarkston_cz

Single-Sixer
Aging eyes here. What qualilty red-dot are you guys using on your 10-22 Take-Downs,
that still allows the rifle to fit in the carry case?

Latest posts