Most gunsmiths fit a .45 ACP cylinder on a 45lc frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wildchild2010

Bearcat
I was wondering if most gunsmiths can fit a .45 ACP cylinder on a 45 Long Colt blackhawk. I don't know how hard it is to set the timing on the Saunders. Or would it be better to send it back to Ruger and have them do it.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Ruger wont fit one unless that model came as a convertible in the first place. If a cylinder is found with the correct length or one slightly longer ( to trim to fit ),they are often drop in with no timing adjustments needed.

wildchild2010

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
Ruger wont fit one unless that model came as a convertible in the first place. If a cylinder is found with the correct length or one slightly longer ( to trim to fit ),they are often drop in with no timing adjustments needed.
Wow, I was thinking there's all kind of special sitting in all that to get the timing right. I appreciate your feedback. I would just hate to have one of them go off without the Timing being incorrect.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted, many of us will buy spare cylinders to drop into other guns. The biggest thing is the OAL. If it's a little long, we can easily hone off a little of the cylinder ring. Also, realize the frame sizes for the 45's can be different. A Blackhawk & a Vaquero are the same size. A New Vaquero is smaller. Timing hasn't been an issue for me ever. But I check any I do with a range rod too.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Also, Brownell's sells a tool to stretch the gas ring on the front of the cylinder if OAL is too short, up to 5 0r 6 thousanths, but then you have to check barrel cylinder gap and maintain that correctly. Power Custom makes shims to do the same thing, but they're kind of a pain to take out and put back in every time the take the cylinder out.
HH

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The Brownell tool is only for 3rd gen Colts with the pressed in cylinder base pin bushing. The Ruger is a one piece cyl with integral machined hub; no bushing used.

The shims are for Colt's removable bushing only and they go between the cyl and the bushing. If you use them on a Ruger, epoxy them to the cyl hub.