MK III 22/45 Ammo question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteveCal

Bearcat
What ammo brand and wt. would you "not" shoot in your MK III 22/45? Is there a brand/wt. that causes problems in your MK III?

I ask because I have a cabinet with different brands and bullet weights. Some are 700FPS (Quiets) and some up to 1280FPS (Zappers?) at the muzzle. I want to avoid pressures that cause firing pin, spring or other damage or fail to reload/eject.

Thanks.

I don't use "ZAPPERS" in my pistols. No real need for that here. Need more power(?)-use a bigger gun is my motto.
I've tried most of the low power 22 on my trap line. The under 900 fps stuff doesn't usually function consistently.
Aguila Super Colibri only works manually and (in my pistols) only feeds with 3 or fewer rounds in the magazine.
Remington C-Bee(no longer available?) is accurate and performs well on critters but is manual operation only.
Winchester's version of the above will self load about 50% and works OK
The CCI "Quiet" (780 fps) is manual operation only but feeds well and is accurate enough for most uses.
My current reduced noise choices are Aguila RN and CCI HP versions of the sub-sonic line-up. These may or may not self-load in every pistol but are super accurate.
For full power ammo, I prefer Federal HVHP. My stock is fairly consistent and accurate. The Federal "Auto Match" also does pretty well.
You might take a look at my previous post about favorite 22 ammo choices--lots of input there.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
SteveCal said:
What ammo brand and wt. would you "not" shoot in your MK III 22/45? Is there a brand/wt. that causes problems in your MK III?

I ask because I have a cabinet with different brands and bullet weights. Some are 700FPS (Quiets) and some up to 1280FPS (Zappers?) at the muzzle. I want to avoid pressures that cause firing pin, spring or other damage or fail to reload/eject.

Thanks.

You are likely NOT going to get box velocities out of any pistol, as those velocities were achieved with a 24-inch barreled rifle, or test set-up where the ammunition was produced.
I experimented for quite some time trying to get CCI "Quiet" rounds to cycle in my Ruger Mark III 22/45, along with a Ruger 10/22 rifle. Ruger Mark pistol bolts weigh very close to 5 oz. on my calibrated scale. I could not machine a Mark II bolt by removing enough material to get that particular bolt to fully function CCI Quiets, and still feel the bolt was sound and safe to use. I finally acquired a "prototype" bolt that was specifically designed to function CCI Quiets in my Ruger 22/45, and when suppressed, it is scary quiet and fully functions this ammunition. The dedicated bolt weighs less than half of what the factory bolt weighs, using the original factory recoil spring. This pistol is now used just with CCI Quiet ammunition and serves one specific purpose.
YVP4SsLl.jpg

SteveCal

Bearcat
SGW Gunsmith said:
SteveCal said:

Thanks.

You are likely NOT going to get box velocities out of any pistol, as those velocities were achieved with a 24-inch barreled rifle, or test set-up where the ammunition was produced.
I experimented for quite some time trying to get CCI "Quiet" rounds to cycle in my Ruger Mark III 22/45, along with a Ruger 10/22 rifle. Ruger Mark pistol bolts weigh very close to 5 oz. on my calibrated scale. I could not machine a Mark II bolt by removing enough material to get that particular bolt to fully function CCI Quiets, and still feel the bolt was sound and safe to use. I finally acquired a "prototype" bolt that was specifically designed to function CCI Quiets in my Ruger 22/45, and when suppressed, it is scary quiet and fully functions this ammunition. The dedicated bolt weighs less than half of what the factory bolt weighs, using the original factory recoil spring. This pistol is now used just with CCI Quiet ammunition and serves one specific purpose.
YVP4SsLl.jpg

Thank you for the reply.

I tried the Quiets in the MK III but grew tired of loading each round or manually cycling. I now use them in the revolvers/bolt rifle off the back porch (Benefit of living in the swamp.) I don't find them as quiet as advertised.

You did a lot of work to get them to function properly in your MK III. I wonder what the "one specific purpose" is?

22/45 Fan

Hunter
SteveCal said:
I now use them in the revolvers/bolt rifle off the back porch (Benefit of living in the swamp.) I don't find them as quiet as advertised.
They should be very quiet in a bolt action rifle but they will never be quiet in a revolver. Leakage at the cylinder/barrel gap is going to be noisy. Notice than no one but Hollywood movie writers uses a suppressor on a revolver.