Mini14 disappointment...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FotoTomas

Bearcat
I recently picked up a stainless Mini14 with the new flash hider and a ATI stock set that is now being sold on some Mini14 models under the Ruger brand.

I am very unhappy. In my case it was a used gun with stock attached and I was helping a friend who needed the cash. I paid a fair price but now that I have been pLaying with the carbine I realize I made a mistake.

The ATI stock set has both a folding feature and a length of pull feature. I like the collapsable part a lot for being able to snug into the rifle. On the other hand it is loose at the attachment point and wobbles. Both I and the local gunsmith can not make it tighter. It is a pain to shoot that way.

The pistol grip appears to have been designed for another science fiction movie. In my hands it feel horrible. The finger grooves do not match up and the distance fom the trigger makes it a bear to use. It appears to be a real pain to change. It sucks.

The part however that makes this stock an abomination for me is the folding feature. The folding knuckle on the left side is HUGE. In addition it is WIDE. Add this to an already messed up pistol grip and I cannot shoot the rifle comfortably left handed. The knuckle blocks my left hand trigger finger from getting to the trigger without some contortion. When I shoot matches we often transition to the week side and when I shoot weak side that HUGE WIDE knuckle beats the he'll out of my finger.

I believe this stock will be more of a window dressing for armchair commandos than a practical device in my opinion.

Of course my opinion is simply one in a sea of opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

If you are thinking of adding this stock set to your collection PLEASE be sure it will work for you. I now need to locate a more traditional stock to get this thing off my carbine.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I can't say the plastic stocks ever appealed to me either. I have laminate stocks on my Minis. When I traded the synthetic stock from my 6.8 mini the person wanted to know if I wanted some cash in addition to his laminate stock. I thought it was kinda humorous.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
So get a standard wood or plastic Mini 14 stock, put your rifle into it, and sell the crummy one to a mall ninja or gunshop commando. You'll probably come out money ahead on the deal. Everybody happy! :wink:

FotoTomas

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
So get a standard wood or plastic Mini 14 stock, put your rifle into it, and sell the crummy one to a mall ninja or gunshop commando. You'll probably come out money ahead on the deal. Everybody happy! :wink:

That's the plan. :)

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I have used three different stocks on my Mini over the last few years.
The stock synthetic, an ATI folder/telescoping and the latest is the Hogue overmolded.

I am right-handed and I thought the ATI was ok, not great because it does have significant stock-wobble. I fixed that with some strips of scotch tape on the faux-buffer tube. It looks like crap but it does the trick. I can see how you would not like this stock if you are a lefty. I did like the ability to run a forward grip and the telescoping feature is nice.

The OEM synthetic is fine, nothing to write home about but no real complaints either. ho-hum.

The Hogue stock is sweet. Its comfortable, grippy and looks great. Its also a bit longer, which I kind of like being 6ft-6in tall.

In the end, I will probably keep the ATI for a spare, but I plan on running the Hogue from now on.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
FotoTomas said:
I recently picked up a stainless Mini14 with the new flash hider and a ATI stock set that is now being sold on some Mini14 models under the Ruger brand.

I am very unhappy. In my case it was a used gun with stock attached and I was helping a friend who needed the cash. I paid a fair price but now that I have been pLaying with the carbine I realize I made a mistake.

The ATI stock set has both a folding feature and a length of pull feature. I like the collapsable part a lot for being able to snug into the rifle. On the other hand it is loose at the attachment point and wobbles. Both I and the local gunsmith can not make it tighter. It is a pain to shoot that way.

The pistol grip appears to have been designed for another science fiction movie. In my hands it feel horrible. The finger grooves do not match up and the distance fom the trigger makes it a bear to use. It appears to be a real pain to change. It sucks.

The part however that makes this stock an abomination for me is the folding feature. The folding knuckle on the left side is HUGE. In addition it is WIDE. Add this to an already messed up pistol grip and I cannot shoot the rifle comfortably left handed. The knuckle blocks my left hand trigger finger from getting to the trigger without some contortion. When I shoot matches we often transition to the week side and when I shoot weak side that HUGE WIDE knuckle beats the he'll out of my finger.

I believe this stock will be more of a window dressing for armchair commandos than a practical device in my opinion.

Of course my opinion is simply one in a sea of opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.

If you are thinking of adding this stock set to your collection PLEASE be sure it will work for you. I now need to locate a more traditional stock to get this thing off my carbine.

Check Numrich Arms, they'll have a standard wood type stock for about $60.00 max. If you like plastic standard Hogue has an OK feel to it.

I have an ATI stock on one of my minis and even though I don't really have a problem with the issues mentioned above I'm still not a fan of it... big bulky and heavy is what I don't like about them.. I 'had' to put this stock on this particular mini because the sights are so off that the only way to site it in was to put a red dot on the scout / front mount rail of this type stock.

As for the original posters disappointment... well you bought it and should have 'seen' this before hand... but then you were helping out a friend and should be commended. Just change out the stock. personally the mall nija in me likes the choate and butler creek folders. Or simpler just get a standard stock.... keep in mind you might also need the two metal parts, reinforcement parts that come with the wooden stocks.

FotoTomas

Bearcat
Just a heads up to all... I have traded the ATI stock off to a dealer for a used Ruger wood stock in great shape. Win/win for all. I get what I want and he gets a better value to sell to someone who wants it.

Me happy! :D

GMan351

Single-Sixer
If you want a synthetic one go to this post http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=132661 and click on the link. He has one for sale for $20.

FotoTomas

Bearcat
Another Post Script...

I competed in the local Tactical Three Gun Match at the home club on Saturday.

My rifle for the day was the Mini14 with three, twenty round magazines and one, thirty round magazine. All Ruger branded. The carbine, with its regular wood stock, performed flawlessly during the day. About 125 rounds over 5 stages.

I was unable to score any hits at the three hundred yard target and only hit one each of the twelve targets at 200 yards. Six were kneeling strong side and six prone weak side. My old eyes and no optical sights did me in. At the close in ranges she nailed the targets AND I had NO ISSUES when it came to transitioning from strong to weak and back as required. I am very happy that I swapped out that ATI stock.

No more disapointment. :)

JJ_Miller_480

Bearcat
I stick with wood stocks. They are putting RFID chips in plastic gun stocks now so they can all be tracked. Restock your bug out bag because they have read all our plans and they have installed RFID chips in the commonly
packed canned goods too. If you just to have a Cool tactical stock spray it with the hi-temp manifold paint, that cuts the satellite imaging down quite a bit.

JJ_Miller_480

Bearcat
No no , you wrap 2 old big tv dishes in foil, fold them together like turtle shells and live in there...............they cannot get the cell phone waves in there. Which is how they control us all. Think about it............when is the last time anyone who wrapped their house in tin foil committed major crime ? McVey, the uni-bomber, David Chapman, Bin Laden Sadam Hussain, Jane Fonda......if you cannot afford foil use saran wrap and spray paint it silver.

Major T

Blackhawk
I am not normally a fan of synthetic stocks-black or especially camo-but i like the factory synthetic on my new Mini-14. I do some ranch chores and play off a Kawasaki Mule and all the safety cage/roll bar stuff is hard on guns. It is very easy to bang them around, so I very much lile the synthetic stock for that application. When I am stand/hide/blind hunting, I very much enjoy nicely figured walnut. jack

Major T

Blackhawk
I am not normally a fan of synthetic stocks-black or especially camo-but i like the factory synthetic on my new Mini-14. I do some ranch chores and play off a Kawasaki Mule and all the safety cage/roll bar stuff is hard on guns. It is very easy to bang them around, so I very much lile the synthetic stock for that application. When I am stand/hide/blind hunting, I very much enjoy nicely figured walnut. jack

Latest posts