mini tactical

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sniper81

Bearcat
got enough money saved up to buy a mini tactical,but i have been doing alot of reading and have some questions, first have any of you exp. shift of poa when you load your first round, what i mean is one day you have it sighted in good and tight the next day your first shot is way off then your second is on the money, also how accurate are the newer models im getting mixed reviews of anywhere from 2-5 inches at 100yds, all i want to do with the mini is hunt coyotes,the ammo ill be using is probally going to be winchester fmj any info on this would be great cause im up in the air now on going to get one dont want to spend alot on mods to get it to shoot accurate i can handle 1-3 inch at a 100yds not more than that

sargents1

Single-Sixer
sniper81 said:
got enough money saved up to buy a mini tactical,but i have been doing alot of reading and have some questions, first have any of you exp. shift of poa when you load your first round, what i mean is one day you have it sighted in good and tight the next day your first shot is way off then your second is on the money, also how accurate are the newer models im getting mixed reviews of anywhere from 2-5 inches at 100yds, all i want to do with the mini is hunt coyotes,the ammo ill be using is probally going to be winchester fmj any info on this would be great cause im up in the air now on going to get one dont want to spend alot on mods to get it to shoot accurate i can handle 1-3 inch at a 100yds not more than that

It can be a little hard to tell if the POI has changed when using a Mini 14. 2-5in groups is pretty typical of a Mini (any year really). I do find that my Mini shoots better with quality ammo. For instance, using Federal bulk pack .223 ammo from Cabelas I get about 2-3 in groups (not bad) at 100yds (this is the Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ stuff that comes in 100-300 round packs). When I use that El-Cheapo Herters or Tula steel case Russian ammo I get groups that are best described as "basketball sized".

I guess this doesnt really answer your question. If you are really worried about accuracy, the Mini 14 probably isnt your rifle.

Still, if you are looking to hunt coyotes, and you are keeping your ranges under 150yds or so, I see no reason you wouldnt get a Mini. Get a newer one (580 series) and put a decent scope on it and I can pretty much guarantee that it will do Minute-of-unwanted-coyote.

One thing to keep in mind if you are left-handed. Dont get a Mini 14 with the ATI folding stock. The folding mechanism is shaped such that it interferes with a proper grip when shooting left handed. IF you are a lefty, get the standard Ruger synthetic stock.

DavidMc116

Single-Sixer
I don't know how you can say 3"s is acceptable. Any other 223 around will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, probably even a T/C contender pistol. I had an early Mini 14 and it wouldn't shoot 3" at 100 yards. Bye bye Mini-14 never to own another.

Badwolf

Bearcat
With my mini tactical I get 2" groups kneeling and a little tighter when prone. My off hand groups are about 5". This is better than my buddy with a S&W M&P 15.

pisgah

Buckeye
As much as I like the Mini -- and I do like it -- if you are looking for gilt-edged accuracy the Mini is not your best choice by a long shot. As a plinker, home defense, or general-purpose utility gun to 100 yards, it's okay. A tackdriver it ain't. I have seen AK-based rifles that would equal almost any Mini; I have never seen an AK or a run-of-the-mill Mini that would beat a run-of-the-mill AR-15.

wwb

Hunter
Never owned a Mini, but some years back my son had one for a short time, and the accuracy was, to be polite, less than stellar. To be brutally honest, it shot patterns rather than groups.... I've heard the new ones are better, but have no experience with them.

Most bang for the buck in a coyote getter is a Savage Model 12 FV... bull barrel & accu-trigger - with the right ammo, 5-shot groups less than 1/2 inch. With cheapo stuff, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch groups. 1:9 twist, so it's fine for everything up to 69 grains, and some folks report good performance with 75 grain bullets.

And that first shot.... if it's out of a freshly cleaned barrel, it will almost always shoot high. Shooting for group size, you always fire a fouling shot first.

sniper81

Bearcat
i would like to get a semi for coyotes im only shooting at the most 150yds if the newer mini's shoot 1-2 inches like people claim then i might have to get one,my last question is how hard is it to remove the bolt for cleaning with a scope on

sniper81

Bearcat
by the way i would be using pmc fmj ammo or remington umc fmj ammo what ever shoot cleaner

oregon73

Blackhawk
I am a big fan of the Mini-14. I own several. I think they're great. That said, I would think you would probably be happier shooting coyotes at 150 yards with an AR. At least, that would PROBABLY be the gun I would choose, unless I knew I had a Mini that could do the job.

Rob

wwb

Hunter
sniper81 said:
by the way i would be using pmc fmj ammo or remington umc fmj ammo what ever shoot cleaner

If you're looking for even halfway reasonable accuracy, niether one of those would be my choice. For best results, try some BHA Match .223 (Black Hills Ammunition).

And, again, it's your money and your choice, but a mini would be at the bottom of my list for your intended use.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I really like the Mini and would love to have one, however I'm afraid I'll get one that produces 5 inch groups and/or only works well with one type of ammo. If I could be reasonably assured that the carbine would do 2" off the rest with American made ball ammo (well within the capability of a milspec AR-15) I would likely take the plunge.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Despite the fact Ruger markets the Mini-14 as some type of rancher's weapon, its real mission is pretty much the same as an AK: to shoot human opponents inside about 150 yards. What does "tactical" (I hate that word) Mini-14 imply? It is intended to be a relatively close range fighting tool. It serves well for this purpose. If you need gilt-edged accuracy, get a real varmint rifle.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I have an older Mini, I primarily shoot handloads but they haven't been worked up or compared with others. I figure they have to be at least as good as any bulk pack type ammunition. Mine has no problem shooting 2" groups and I've never met a coyote that complained. If I miss, its my fault not the gun. :)

sniper81

Bearcat
well got my mini in today,looks good went to the local sports store to pick up some ammo and a otis cleaning kit, no otis but got some ammo remington umc 55 fmj, remington 50 gr jhp, winchester 5.56 55 fmj, american eagle 55 gr fmj, and federal xm193f 5.56 fmjbt anyone use any of this ammo in there mini's and how good did it shoot

sargents1

Single-Sixer
sniper81 said:
well got my mini in today,looks good went to the local sports store to pick up some ammo and a otis cleaning kit, no otis but got some ammo remington umc 55 fmj, remington 50 gr jhp, winchester 5.56 55 fmj, american eagle 55 gr fmj, and federal xm193f 5.56 fmjbt anyone use any of this ammo in there mini's and how good did it shoot

I find the Federal XM193 55gr FMJBT stuff works well.

This pic is ten rounds at 100yds with that Federal ammo. I used my 59.99$ Truglo 1x 5MOA Red dot and fired all ten rounds in about 40-50 Seconds.

DSC08645.jpg

sniper81

Bearcat
do any of you mini owners use recoil buffers or the recoil spring,on other forums people say you need to use them or your scope will get ruined,also how often do you guys clean your mini's, i mean taken it down all the way, i usually clean the barrel and action on my guns after every range session, or every hunt that i shoot at least twice,so any info on the buffers and the cleaning thanx

geeman1969

Bearcat
Great platform but accuracy a little dodgy? Get a donor rifle and send it to these guys who seem to have the solution to any Mini and several other fast firing but inaccurate platforms.

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php