Mini 5804 overall & component weights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

abosely

Bearcat
Building a custom Mini 30 chambered in 30-220 Russian, went through action and trigger group, smoothing and polishing everything before it goes to Accuracy Systems for their full house build, with Krieger SS 18" .750 muzzle, .308 bore, 5-R barrel.
Custom 30-220 Russian chamber reamer from Manson, will be delivered April.

Thought it would be interesting to see what Mini 30 5804 SS weighs and weights of individual components. Didn't if anyone else might find this interesting, thought would share it.

Complete rifle: 6lb 13.2oz
Complete barreled action: 4lb 7.2oz
Barreled action, front & rear sight: 2lb 7.2oz
Stock, fore end liner, reinforcement & screws: 2lb 7.3oz
Bare stock & recoil pad 2lb 2oz
Factory rear sight: .7oz
Tech-Sight rear sight: 1.3oz
Handguard: 2.5oz
Fore end liner: 2.25oz
Stock reinforcement & 2 screws: 2.25oz
Gas block assembly: 4oz
Bolt assembly 3.1oz
Op rod: 12.7oz
Trigger group with Cogburn paddle mag release: 9oz

Action parts, bolt lock cover plate, plunger,
spring, ejector bolt lock, buffer bushing & pin,
Buffer guide rod & spring: 2.6oz

Alaska Arms 30mm, low, QD scope rings: 5oz

abosely

Bearcat
Thought I would explain a little about the 30-220 Russian cartridge & bit more about the project.

It's a wildcat cartridge I 'designed'.
I wanted a cartridge similar to 7.62x39, but with chamber optimized for accuracy.

Wanted to have small rifle primer and to be able to use Lapua brass. Lapua 7.62x39 is LR primer.

There are a number of very good cartridges that use the .445" case head, but have fairly straight case sides and don't feed in Ruger Mini 30 magazines.
Such as the 6.5 Grendel, 6mm ARC and few others.

So the goal was to have a cartridge that would feed dead reliably from stock Ruger Mini 30 mags, use .308 bullets, minimal case forming using Lapua brass and have chamber, neck, throat, leade & freebore optimized for accuracy.

The Lapua 220 Russian is fantastic quality, SR primer case & should get very long case life.

Neck up 220 Russian case to .308, turn necks to .012, FL sizing pushes shoulder back few thousands.
The slightly shorter base to shoulder length (forget of top head dimension) gives nice long neck & base of bullets don't protrude past neck at 2.225" COL, to feed from Ruger mags.

Case capacity is 32.6gr-33gr compared to 7.62x39 35.5gr depending on specific cases.

The 7.62x39 load data limits pressure to 45,000psi, but the 30-220 Russian is 52,000psi like 6.5 Grendel, 6mm Arc and similar cartridges based on same

Have reamers designed for 6-220 Russian, 6.5-220 Russian and of course the 30-220 Russian I'm building, just waiting for reamer to be finished.

Basically wanted to have 6mm, 6.5mm & 30 cal cartridges that have very minimal case forming, no fire forming or case shortening that will feed from stock mini 30 5, 10 & 20 round mags with rebarreling a mini 30.

Can form brass from most any cases of the .455" head brass.

This isn't a commercial thing, happy to share any information and Manson has the reamer design, they will make reamer if anyone wants one.

Can use Lee 7.62x39 FL size die modified ($50) to use die bushings to neck size cases, 7.62x39 seating and Factory Crimp dies. Would need FL sizing die made.

I'm having Neil Jones make set of dies to match my chamber after I can fire 3 cases few time in rifle.