Mini 14 scope????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9x19

Hunter
What is your intended use?

I like lower powered scopes, but most of my shooting is un-supported inside 75 yards.

96/44

Blackhawk
I will give you my two cents worth, and say buy the best glass you can afford. Mini-14's eat cheap scopes like nothing else out there. The dual impulse of the gun recoiling back, then the heavy bolt and op-rod assembly slamming forward is very hard on scopes. I would stick with Leupold or Nikon personally. I like a 1-4x, or a 2-7x compact.

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
Just remounted one. A 2 x 7 Leupold Vari-X IIc, in Weigand rings & mount (have found, like others, that those factory rings that come with the piece are worth exactly what you pay for them :? :roll: )

It makes for a nice handling package...tho if I could find a shorter scope of comparable quality, i'd sure jump on it.

Don Lovel

Hunter
When I had a Mini 30 I had a Simmons diamond reticle 1.5x7 shotgun scope on it. That diamond is 15" at 100 yds. Great moving coyote or running deer carbine. Throw that diamond on them and shoot, the crosshairs on 7 power really did a good job at 300yds too

Ferdinand

Single-Sixer
Adding on to what 96/44 said - buy one with a lifetime warranty from a company known to back it. That's based on personal experience. Minis seem tough on scopes, despite only being a .223. I would recommend something in the 2-7X range, as the magnification is well suited to the gun's accuracy potential, and compact proportions.

gunman42782

Hunter
I use a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Have not had any issues to date. I really am a big fan of Nikon scopes, hard to beat for the money.

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
If you will install a smaller size gas bushing (.045 or .040) the action cycle will be MUCH softer and you can put whatever scope on it you want to. Plus, your brass will not land in the next county.

Bob

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I have a Weaver 4X on both my mini14 and mini30. Works fine for me. They are "fun guns". If I were to hunt with them I would have Leupold scopes(probably 2X7 or 3X9X40) on them.

Latest posts