mini 14 recoil buffer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sniper81

Bearcat
do any of you guys use a recoil buffer in your mini or the longer recoil spring

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Accuracy Systems put one in mine, it hasn't caused any problems with reliability. I suppose it's helpful, but honestly it's not something I'd go out of my way to get.

miniman

Single-Sixer
I use wilson 1911 buffers front and back work great. the buffer tech buffers are to thick and you have to trim them to work the wilsons drop right in.

sniper81

Bearcat
well most of the other forums say that you better use the buffer or it will ruin the scope i have a bushnell legend scope brand new,havent sighted it in yet

gunman42782

Hunter
I have never used a buffer and have not had scope issues, and I have a cheap Tasco scope I use.

wwb

Hunter
sniper81 said:
well most of the other forums say that you better use the buffer or it will ruin the scope i have a bushnell legend scope brand new,havent sighted it in yet

Just remember that internet advice is free, and you frequently get what you pay for.

Why would it be okay to mount a scope on a .30-06 bolt action, but that same scope needs a recoil buffer if it's mounted on a mini?

sniper81

Bearcat
i sent an email to ruger this morning about the putting a recoil buffer in the tactical the replied back and said the tactical already has a buffer system in it

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
sniper81,

The buffertech buffers are horrible. I tried one on my Mini-30, and it caused some major problems.

Ruger considers the linkage at the rear of the gas operating system, in front of the reciever a buffer.

If you decide to put a buffer on your Mini, I would suggest the thin 1911 buffers. Although, a far better use of your money is with a reduced diameter gas system bushing kit from Great West Gunsmithing.

Combine the correct bushing with a heavier weight recoil spring, and action will cycle perfectly. I also found that changing the bushing/spring decreased felt recoil, and decreased muzzle rise. Neither of those are benifits of buffers.

Charlie

sniper81

Bearcat
Are u talking about the wolf spring was looking at one on midway usa,I already ordered the buffer tech so we will see how it works out

cruzerlou

Buckeye
WWB asked,
Why would it be okay to mount a scope on a .30-06 bolt action, but that same scope needs a recoil buffer if it's mounted on a mini?

The simple anwser is this .With cheaply made scopes there designed for recoil forces comming backward ,with a semi auto guns , spring piston airguns too ,you have two recoil forces at play .Rearward motion of the bolt under recoil and foward motion of the bolt moving foward under pressure of the recoil/buffer spring and the sudden stop as the bolt slams home in the reciver into battery.This will break even high dollar scopes if there not desgined for both forces .Most highquality scopes can handle this no problem .
Back in the early 80's I put a tasco world class 3x9x32 off of my 10/22 on a 70's era crossman 760 pump air rifle ,killed it in no time .I had fired 1000's of rds through that .22 w/ no problems but the duel recoil forces of the airgun broke that scope .

On most good scopes the rectile is etched into the glass like nightforce ,while Leapould still uses fine metal wires but there made to handle both forces .My advicecis this buy the best scope you can afford .
Lou

cruzerlou

Buckeye
You should be fine I have a Bushnell Trophy 1.75x4x32 MM scope .I've used on my inline muzzle loader with 3 50 gr pyrodex pellets ,on my Mossberg M-9200 12ga slug gun and now on my S & W M & P 15-T for 3 gun matches and it's never had a problem on any of them .
Lou

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
well my scope would wiggle loose, even after locktite on my Mini-Target
i have heard a few bad things about that foam buffer that buffertech and wilson combat (both the same thing) regarding cycling . you have to sand them down to get them to work properly i heard.

so i took on old piece of thick leather from some welding gloves, cut to fit and popped a hole in it with an empty casing to fit over the gas port...

its thin yet absorbs the metal to metal impact.
i also like the density of the leather as opposed to the foam (i have 2 pieces of leather in there now, overlapped....

i stopped having scope issues but i dont know if it is from the leather or if its because i retightened my scope rings...

either way, its working well now (shot it yesterday by the way but my groups were one inch and above, my best groups with it so far have been 1/2 inch @ 110 yards)

i know the buffertech pads are bad on AK rifles, from what i have heard...., but that is a completely different operating system.

the problem with scopes and the mini-14 (from what i hear from others) is the nature of the recoil from the rifle..
it is not the rearward recoil that messes the scopes up but rather the forward momentum from the spring as the slide impacts the glass block

i read that scopes are designed for rearward recoil which is why you cant use a rifle scope on an airgun....

of course this might all be BS and the real reason you cant use a regular scope on an airgun is due to parallax error...

i have never tested any of that out so i cant say 100%...

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
sniper81 said:
Are u talking about the wolf spring was looking at one on midway usa,I already ordered the buffer tech so we will see how it works out

You are correct on the wolff spring.

Good luck and take care with the buffertech. Near as I can figure is the one I tried on mine slid forward with recoil (before the piston moved back), and prevented the spring from compressing. This caused the action to lock up and stress some parts of the rifle. The action was locked tight and required disassembly of the rifle to get the action to move forward. When I removed the buffer I was getting 20+" groups at 100 yards (before 1.5" @ 100 yards). Required a trip back to ruger, and a lot of time doing tweeks found on Perfect Union to get the accuracy anywhere close to where it once was.

Charlie

sniper81

Bearcat
Well since it is about 50/50 I'm going to take my luck without the recoil buffer if it was supposed to be in ther ruger would have put it in I think I might get the wolf spring though

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
sniper81 said:
Well since it is about 50/50 I'm going to take my luck without the recoil buffer if it was supposed to be in ther ruger would have put it in I think I might get the wolf spring though

My experience with the Buffer taught me that you are generally O.K. if you replace/exchange a part, but could see serious problems if you try to add a part.

I would suggest the gas bushing kit from great west gunsmithing. In my Mini-30, with the large bushing and wolff spring, my brass travels about 5 feet. The recoil impulse is greatly reduced, and feels smoother. The makes it easier to keep the sights on target, and also lends itself to quicker follow-up shots.

Charlie

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
i've never had an issue with the buffertech in my mini 30............been running fine for years.