Millett multi-dot or something else for 454 SRH?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pnw

Bearcat
I really like the "dot in a doughnut" style sights, but can't find reliability info for Millett. Will it withstand the 454 SRH? What is their warranty? Their web-site seems worthless.

Other recommendations for an optical sight? Prefer "dot in a doughnut" or something like the German #4 in either 1x or 2x.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I wouldn't expect a Millett to last on a .454. An Ultra Dot or Aimpoint are probably the only sights of that kind I'd want on a hard kicking revolver.

RJK

Single-Sixer
Ultradot is one of the better red dots out there. I had one on a 500 and a 454. Handled the recoil without a problem. The aimpoints are great, but I did have one fail on a 454 freedom I had. The thing actually broke in 2.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I like the Ultra Dot I have on my .357. Have no idea how it will hold up on a .454 but it seems tough. I dropped the 9mm cylinder on from about 4 feet hard enough to seriously dent one of the little adjustment covers but that is all the damage that it did and it did not move the POI,

pnw

Bearcat
So much for Millett!

Any experience with the Nikon XR 2-20 EER? I have a Nikon African on a rifle & it is great for the price.

s4s4u

Hunter
The Millett dot may withstand the recoil, but the glass has a tint on it that screwes up low light shooting for me. Ultradot all the way. Some of those exotic reticles may look cool but a simple 4 or 5 minute dot is hard to beat.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
I had two millets die on top of a 357 Blackhawk ultradot sits atop now

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Two good options with your 454 Super RedHawk.

If you have new in the wrapper Ruger Rings, you can contact Ruger and swap them for 30mm.

Option ONE: Swap for/or buy new a set of 30mm rings, and install a 30mm UltraDot. You will have a 4 MOA Dot at 100 yards, 2 Inch at 50 yards. You have a very good field of view. This is what I have on my 480 Ruger Super RedHawk.

Option TWO: Go to the Weigand Combat web site and order a Scope Base for the 480 Ruger Super RedHawk. The 480 Version requires the back sight to be removed because it has a Recoil Shoulder to soak up recoil, not just the ring screws.
You now have more room between the scope ring slots to space the rings further apart. A GOOD THING. Now you have the option of using a 30mm (6 Series) MatchDot II. The MatchDot II has several Dot configurations. The Dot in a Ring I believe is one of the options. My preference for hunting in low light is the 2 MOA Dot. Less Bloom in low light. You also get an Elevation Knob. With this base you can also install 3 scope rings, another good thing.
We went this route on my brothers 9.5 Inch 44 Magnum Super RedHawk.

If I were setting up another Super RedHawk, I would go with the Weigand Base for the 480, and a MatchDot II, and use 3 scope rings. Also order a set of Buttler Creek Flip Up Scope Caps while you are ordering the MatchDot.

I have ordered several UltraDot sights from:
http://www.ultradotwest.com/
I have had great service, and fast delivery.

I used handgun scopes on Contenders for years. I have had 2X , 4X, a 10X and several 2-7 Burris scopes. I like the UltraDot & MatchDot II optical sights much better than a scope at Revolver Range, which I consider to be 100 yards and under. The 30mm UltraDot is much quicker to get on target under field conditions.

Bob

pnw

Bearcat
"Dot in a ring" is very good for my partially colorblind eyes. Because I have a problem with red, small dots alone are hard for me to pick up...I can see large dots, but they cover too much of the target. A ring type sight helps me locate a small dot much more quickly.

I'll take a harder look at the MatchDot II.

pnw

Bearcat
My "new to me" SRH came with a 2-6x32 Simmons, plus I borrowed a Nikon 2x20 and a Weaver 2x28 from Amazon.

-The Simmons seems to have an internal reflection when viewed slightly off-center...okay for the range, but not moving targets.
-The Nikon has the best optics of the three, but eye relief is too short for me.
-For me, the Weaver (probably 1.7x) is the best overall scope, crosshairs are a bit small for moving targets but I could live with it.

However, I keep coming back to an inexpensive Tru-Glo multi-reticle red dot I had on a 460 Rowland...the dot-doughnut is great for moving targets, but I doubt it will handle the 454.

That takes me to the Matchdot II on a Weigand rail. The thing concerning me is the "open" adjustment...I'd hate to have the holster rub it out of zero. Is this an issue or are the adjustments stiff, better yet lock? Any pics of a MD2 on a SRH?

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
If you are talking about the Millett 1x3 MOA Compact Red Dot, I had one of those on a SBH 44 Mag Hunter, and then a SRH 454 Casull, and it never lost zero. I've even dropped it on concrete and other than a dented sun shade, it was fine.

They don't weigh that much, so the recoil doesn't affect them like a bigger scope. Plus, they're only $60 from Midway.

That said, if you really were going to hammer it and weren't opposed to paying more money, I'd go with the Ultra Dot.