Maybe it is advancing years, nostalgia or who knows what

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WestTex

Single-Sixer
But I have found myself "lusting" (first word that comes to mind) after more GP100s, SP 101s, SBH of various barrel lengths, calibers, finishes.

AND at the expense for caring about the practicality of high caps in today's world, lower weight, more modern designs. Even starting to eschew the beauty of my 1911s.

I like the way wheelies feel, the way I grip them, sight picture, safety.

Should I worry, or sing praises to Heaven.

Thx for letting me open up.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have never been attracted to semi-auto handguns, don't own any, and never will. I'm sure for some people they are fine but not me. I like the nostalgia of single and double action revolvers as well as their practicality and longevity. :D

DHD

Single-Sixer
I do understand. My first duty guns were revolvers, made the transition to autos in the late 80's, and am now buying revolvers again.

I have competed with both types, but I've always shot a good revolver better.

Old Dog Soldier

Bearcat
WestTex,

All your symptoms, and subsequent thoughts and actions pertaining to this subject are perfectly normal. Don't worry, you will be just fine. Have been thinking and doing the same myself for better than fifty years, and at age 70, I have no regrets.

ODS

jsh

Single-Sixer
Nope, your not the Lone Ranger.
I have had some good autos over the years Kimbers and Gold Cups just to name a couple. Everyone told me I should shoot them better, I never did.
They say you go full circle. I guess I have I have more wheel guns than I ever had autos and wheelguns combined.
Now just to get the time to give attention to all of them.
Jeff

woodsy

Blackhawk
I own both types, but I REALLY have my utmost affections for revolvers, simply because they are so simple and accommodating. Almost any minimum load is acceptable, and the max is up to the user (keeping in mind the max the cylinder will handle). Among the most important facts is that one does not need to "rack the slide" if one encounters a failure to fire, but just squeeze off another (SA/DA). Plus, they leave no brass behind.

dpayne

Bearcat
Interesting to read this as I am feeling the same way, especially after getting my hands on a GP 100. Love that gun. Just purchased a Wiley Clapp SP 101 for carry and I like it better (and prints less believe it or not) than the semi-auto I did carry. Revolvers are just cool and feel more like real guns to me. Maybe it's a bit of the old West thing.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I'm on the same page. Sold my auto's and went with the .357 SP101. Not too heavy, not too light, not too small, not too big - everything just right. The 3" guns get range, hiking and fishing outings. The 2.25" guns get daily carry. I've got one for every day of the week now. Speer plastic bullets, .38 Special WC loads, CCI snake shot, .357 Barnes JHP's, full-tilt boogie 158gr. Hardcast SWC's - you'll never see this versatility in an auto.

A .357 is all I need in these parts to get the job done. And yes, a 2.25" .357 will take a deer if the situation is favorable. Big doe, 50 feet, Remington 125 gr. JHP. She took two steps.

Best Regards,
ADP3

coach

Hunter
I've heard the revolver vs semi-auto likened to analog vs digital. Six or seven shots in a spinning cylinder kind of like an LP disk spinning on a turntable as opposed to a cd or MP3 on your phone. Lots of capacity, but not a lot to see. Both work, but it comes down to preference. I kind of go back and forth. I will always like revolvers,but if I ever got into a firefight I would be wishing for high capacity mags that can be changed out in a flash. Those revolvers though can spit out some honking rounds or loaded down to a mouse load for fun and you never have to worry about them not feeding.

Rclark

Hunter
Since a kid, I just enjoyed single actions. Hasn't changed. Never will. Even tried the 'DA' revolvers, but no. not for me, single actions it is. Yes, I have a Mark II, but it rarely gets out. Single Six, the flattops on the other hand get out regular... Yesterday afternoon was .44 Special and .357 day at the range.

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
Been shooting SA and DA revolvers my whole life. I own some autoloaders, mostly 1911s with a couple of others thrown in like a Luger here and there, but the vast majority of my handguns are revolvers.
Everything from Colts to Smith & Wessons to Rugers to Cimarrons to Dan Wessons with a few more thrown in for good measure. Calibers range from .22LR to .44Magnum and .375SuperMag and just about everything in between.
I always check out the revolver section of any gun shop first. Never know when I might need another revolver or two.

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
I totally understand how you feel. I have my share of semi autos (polymer, steel and alloy), but I do love my revolvers. All are Rugers except for three, a J frame, a 6" King Cobra and a S&W Double Action 3rd model made in 1886 that my Dad gave me. Like you said, nothing feels as good, handles as well, or is as enjoyable than a good revolver. My favorite Ruger DA revolvers would be my GP100 and my Security Sixes. If I ever had to get rid of any of my handguns, it would be the semi auto's. I'd have to be in a world of hurt to get rid of any of my revolvers.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I own both types and prefer revolvers. Perhaps it is age, I'm 63 and my earliest exposure to handguns was revolvers. I just feel more comfortable and confident with revolvers.

Jim

Legionnaire

Single-Sixer
Like others, I have semi-autos but much prefer fondling and shooting my revolvers. Go back and forth on concealed carry.

I have both and each one serves a purpose. Some are working guns, some are for personal protection, and some are just guns I like to shoot on occasion. My only problem is with SA revolvers 357 and up because of thumb issues. If I had to list them in order of least likely to get rid of it would be:

1. Colt Gunsite 45 ACP
2. Ruger SP101 4" 357
3. S&W 686 4" 357
4. Browning Hi-Power 9mm

These are probably going to be the last guns standing.... By golly, looks like 2 semi's and 2 revolvers. 8) There are many more, but these are my favorites.

Dave

Dazzel's Owner

Bearcat
I like both, and am shooting my GP 100 WC in IDPA fairly successfully. That said, I'd do enjoy my S&W 1911 E series, SIG 220 and CZ P09 and P01 omega. But I carry my revolvers far more- LCR or my S&W 64 snubby, as I prefer the simplicity of a revolver.
Happy to live where I do where I can enjoy both