Maybe a rare New Model Single Six find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TomTownUSA

Bearcat
Help guys... the sn 268-12133 lookup states model #00652, shipped 1996, in production NO.. My newly acquired New Model Single Six is a clown of the 50th anniversary model EXCEPT, no anniversary note on barrel, barrel is 5 1/2", no red symbol back ground and is factory nickel plated.. The sn is the same series "268" as the anniversary model and the wood grips are identical color and grain.. After physical inspection by a number of gunsmiths they unanimously agree it is factory nickel plated, not third party.. It is in the original gray plastic box, manual dated XRN1 & KXRN1 4 -95 R2 and has a magnum non-fluted cylinder with matching partial sn scratching.. I have never seen a Vaquero type rear pinched sight New Model Single Six or any nickel plated Ruger Single Six's.. I WELCOME ANY AND ALL COMMENTS along with the question, can I get a Ruger factory letter stating it as being originally factory nickel plated.. THANK YOU GENTLEMEN.. Tom

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Do you have the box? The box usually has the model information on it. That can help identify things.
But the $10 letter from Ruger would be the best place to get information.
The factory website serial number look up can be incorrect sometimes.
The letter is the best route.
Not doubting your research, but Ruger has not done any nickel plated stuff in decades. It MIGHT be a high polish stainless.

contender

Ruger Guru
I forgot to mention,, the factory letter will give the model information. THAT is where you'll see if it was a nickle plated thing. They don't spell it out in the letters. BUT,, when you send for the letter,, you can add a note stating several gunsmiths think it's nickle plated.

TomTownUSA

Bearcat
I have the box, but not sure it is original.. It is gray plastic but with no end labeling so it may not be original, just the correct type. The magnum cylinder is lacking the red bag and has no box.. You may be right about being a highly polished stainless but there are no unpolished protected areas and the stampings are quite deep and perfect, which would be almost impossible after a high polish job.. I have been collecting for over 65 years, a 50+ life member of OGCA, and this piece really looks true nickel plated.. Back checking the current origin is impossible, I obtained it from a pawn shop.. As advised, I will be obtaining a factory letter asap.. It is quit unique and beautiful as well as hefty.. I have attached 2 photos. Thanks very much for your quick response and happy New Year.. Tom
Note: I just checked my original forum area and my responses and views have gone to a hyphen instead of numbers... I hope I can still get check any other response thoughts..

Attachments

• Toms Ruger single-six a.jpg
    Toms Ruger single-six a.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Toms Ruger single-six b.jpg
    Toms Ruger single-six b.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
Curious if a nickel plated gun is measurably heavier than its plane Jane counterpart.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I own two 5 1/2" Hi-Polish revolvers as you describe. A GKNR-5F #268-27772 & GKNR-5F-I #268-05184, which was a limited run of a1,000 guns
that were made for a distributor group known as the "Avis Group". The grips were Scrimshaw / Ruger Eagle simulated Ivory.
Range #268-05150 - 268-08118. Both are Hi-Polish Stainless Steel .22 convertible's not nickel plated, Scarce guns!
Best
Terry

My vote is for high-polish stainless, as well.

Lipsey's and/or TALO have also commissioned several runs of these, in the semi-recent past. Both 5-1/2" and 6-1/2" were offered in stainless. 4-5/8", 5-1/2", and 6-1/2" examples were offered in blue. A 4-5/8" was offered in recent years, but with a typical "brushed" stainless finish.

Forum member ACRLICTNK got lots of us hooked up with examples from those runs… at a very attractive price!

Here's an example of one from a past run:

Last edited:

TomTownUSA

Bearcat
It is quit stout and weighs much more than my 6 1/2 " 3 screw.. I will get a check in the mail to Ruger this week.. Most likely it is a polished stainless with a Vaquero type pinched front sight... Another forum person said the that type sight was not rare.. I really like those sights, gives it much old West features..

TomTownUSA

Bearcat
I paid too much according to a forum member example... it wasn't the first time I goofed in my 50 years of collecting.. it happens to collectors like me more than dealers... I like the gun and the hefty feel and now since it is not rare I can shoot it. thanks for all the responses, it is greatly appreciated..

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Indeed high polished stainless. I got a consecutive pair of those new in 2003. The note in my spreadsheet says, "Model discontinued in mid-1990's, these guns were a parts cleanup run shipped to Davidson's". I noted them as model GKNR5F-C and when I run one of the SNs thru the SN lookup, it confirms as model 00652.

On the same day, I also bought a consecutive pair of the 6.5" guns, model GKNR6F-C and those confirm as model 00653.

Being the later cleanup guns, these all have serial numbers up in the 268-28xxx range and they all shipped in 2003

I also have an earlier 5.5" one at 268-200xx that also confirms as a 00652 shipped in 1997. I got it in 2006.

Like TAW, I also have an Ivorex gripped 5.5" gun but the catalog number is a little different than what he stated. Mine is GKNRI-5F versus GKNR-5F-I (same letters, different sequence). It is in the same SN range he mentioned, at 268-06xxx. Confirms as model 00655, shipped in 1995. I got it in 2009.

TomTownUSA

Bearcat
Someone, factory ???, really did a quality polish job, every part all sides, none missed, and in protected areas too but still retains deep sharp edged lettering throughout.. I really love the feel of this gun, you know you have something super solid in your hand.. for me, rare or not rare, a keeper for sure..

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Congrats on finding a factory model you really like.
Yes these are factory polished not aftermarket. That's why the stampings are sharp. The G in the model number stands for "Gloss" finish meaning high polish.

it will overwhelm some folks at just what a micro fiber clothe and a small amount of Mother Mag Polish will make stainless steel turn out to be, and yes the "Mother ship"
( factory) has really polished those with the "G" in their catalog number,,,awesome work and easy to maintain, keep clean, still a relatively soft surface, so try NOT and
scratch" things up.............:unsure:;)

Happy New Year...... "gung hey fat choy" (sic)

TomTownUSA

Bearcat
Great to hear it is factory, almost had to be, done so well.. I thought to mention another old Ruger in my safe.. In 1960 I purchased a new Ruger Bearcat for my new wife, it fit her small lady hand so perfectly and she, even today, is very accurate with it.. It is sn D788, in it's original box with the paper work and in like new condition, less a very slight holster muzzle rub.. another lifetime keeper..
Thank you Jim for the additional info on my new high gloss, it is appreciated as is all the informative replies.. The chase and research have always been at the heart of my long 65+ year collecting career and so often reveal very interesting and many times un noticed or un recorded facts, eg. the "G" in the model number meaning high gloss you mentioned.. Tom

If I remember correctly these are Davidson's also and they were not very popular since they are 22LR Single cylinder only. They were also over priced :)

1703615989275.png

Nickel plated guns have a weeeee bit different look than stainless.
1703616339599.png

1703616596061.png