Max cylinder capacity of ROA?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John C

Bearcat
I've searched a bit, and not found my answer. What's the maximum cylinder capacity of the Ruger Old Army, under a .457 RB?

Also, does anyone have the same information for the ClassicBallistx cylinders?

Finally, anyone know the volume equivalent of an Ox-yoke wonder wad in .45?

I'm trying to work up an accuracy load in ROA, and want to figure out the parameters. I plan to start low, and go high, on the amount of powder I put in there. I don't want to go over.

Thanks,

-John

Rclark

Hunter
40g of Powder.

From another reference : "The manual says that it is impossible to overload it ,(as long as you`re using blackpowder, or equivelent). "

Another reference : "The maximum powder charge for the Old Army is what you can stuff down it. Foolish me tried it and the gun took it with no problem. Years later I asked that very question at the factory and they told me it can safely discharge what 3F powder it can hold. "....

There ya go. Google is your friend :) .

Coop

Blackhawk
I don't think you will ever "go over".

Before I sold them, I shot my pair of ROA's using enough Goex FFFg under a Wonder Wad and a Hornady .457 RB that ball would just clear the cylinder face. They were stout loads used for CAS. I do not think it is possible to overload an ROA cylinder chamber with blackpowder.

I do not know what is the ClassicBallistx cylinder. Each of my ROA's had its own R&D Cylinder for .45 Colt. I loaded them up with enough FFFg that the 200 gr. RNFP lead bullet would compress the BP by about 1/8".

8)

Coop

flatgate

Hawkeye
During development of the Old Army one of Ruger's Engineers filled the chambers with Bullseye powder then seated a ball and a then cap. The gun digested 6 loads with no problems.

Shazam! That's quite the test.

Info appears in Ruger and His Guns.

flatgate

ROAnutz

Bearcat
The Classicballistx or having the cylinder deepened by Clements gets you about 5 to 10 grains extra. I have both and the capacity is about the same. I no longer shoot round ball. I shoot only bullets. I've settled on the Dick Dastardly 150's or 210 BigLube bullets. That way I don't mess with wads or over bullet lube. Every thing is a lot less messy.

I also did somewhat of a lunatic thing. I took my D/D 210 BuigLube 6 cavity mold and had the first 3 cavities converted to hollow points.

I've not had a chance to try this completely but when I put a HP on my D/D BigLube 210's using a jig and a drill press, I got really good results.

I also never use the loading lever anymore. I use a loader. I think it lets me seat the bullet, certainly more easily but more consistently.

I just love to screw around with my ROA....

c.robertson

Bearcat
Lefty, There are LOTS of ROA's out there. If you shop you can get still get them priced in the neighborhood of $450.00. I have recently bought 2 stainless and 1 blue for $432.00, $400.00, and $290.00. High luster polish stainless w/faux ivory grips, stainless, and blue - respectivly. But the prices and availability are going up and down. Also, the Uberti and Pieta stainless target models should not be over looked. They are darn good to, I have one of each.
The Lee conical bullet is very accurate in the ROA also.
cbr

cagedodger

Bearcat
John C said:
...I'm trying to work up an accuracy load in ROA, and want to figure out the parameters...
Thanks,

-John

You're probably going to find the best accuracy at around 28gr. At least, that's what mine likes best. (777 with .457 RB)

Cage 8)