Mark I, T678 with Tapered Bolt Ears

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Just got this Mark I, T678 with Tapered Bold Ears. Serial No 272xx (1952), that I estimate is in 90+% condition.

On the left side of the gun there are very small areas of wear on the front edge of the blade sight ring and barrel at the muzzle. Also a very small area of wear on the front edge of the receiver and a few very shallow scratches between the front of the receiver and RUGER stamp. There are a few small scratches/dings (exposed bare metal) around the pin above the trigger and a couple of tiny dings on the top of the receiver adjacent to the pin behind the Micro rear sight. Also a 1/8" long, fairly deep scratch (exposed bare metal) just below the release lever on the back of the grip frame.

There is no wear on the front or back of grip frame. However, the gun has obviously been disassembled at some point by someone who was not being very careful. The dealer didn't think it was reblued.

According to the Reference of Ruger Firearms, Pocket Edition #2, compiled by Chad Hiddleson, it is estimated that there were "only" 2,750 of the T678's made with tapered bolt ears. So, based on my description and this one photo, I'd appreciate your opinions on what the gun might be worth. I'll try to most more photos later.

52161_600x400.jpg

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I paid $275 for it, and I am pretty sure it is worth more than that. I'd appreciate input from experts on what it might be worth if I ever do want to sell or trade it.

Due to the lighting it looks like the bluing is worn on the left barrel and grip frames but it is not worn except for the muzzle area and front edge of the receiver.
52166_600x400.jpg

52167_600x400.jpg

52168_600x400.jpg

52169_600x400.jpg

52170_600x400.jpg

52171_600x400.jpg

street

Hunter
RENE list the T-678 tapered ear at $435. As rare as that gun is I would think it should be worth much more. RENE list the T-514 tapered ear at $615. I would think the tapered ear T-678 should be worth between $550 to $600. Both guns should be in the 4 figures but there is just not that many people collecting the .22 Autos, so less demand less price. Very sad, as the .22 Autos is what got Sturm Ruger started. They deserve more respect!!!!! :roll:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Looking at my notes the most common two piece bolts are flat on bottom. Those two piece bolts were made in 1952 1953 during the Korean war era. Later some MKIIs had tapered ears but not two piece. Just a question... Do you understand what I am asking when I refer to flat top or bottom on the bolt.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Not sure. With the bolt pulled back and locked, there are flat surfaces visible on top of the bolt. (Except for the tapered ears, the bolt on this gun looks very similar to the bolt on my Mark I made in 1962.)

Can you provide a photo showing what the 2-piece bolt with the flat on the bottom looks like?

yes, the very back of the bolt shows the "circle" with a flat on either the top or the bottom edge of the circle to keep the plate, that is pressed onto the bolt, from being able to turn or rotate,,,,these "two piece" piece process was to "save steel" during the Korean War conflict,,,as the original bolts were turned down from a two inch piece of bar stock, ,then they started using a 1 inch piece ( NO waste) and thus "press" on the flat plate, that makes up the handle or ears, to cock the bolt back.........had a picture somewhere but is lost in the limbo, nether world of photobucket somewhere...........
like anything else in "manufactruing", if the guy running the equipment turned the bar stock upside down, this flat would now be 180 degrees around,,,NOT a big deal, it worked either way,,,,typical of Ruger collectors nearing that "anal", over the edge mark....it is "different", it is another "variation" 8) :roll: :wink:
( kinda like looking for a gun that was made and put together by a "left handed" person, versus a rightie.. :?

here you go, I took another and thank you "IMGER"............flat on the bottom of the circle in the center

GE2WVL5l.jpg

BarkeyVa , that is a very nice gun you got there by the way, great find and at a awesome price.......thats how I like to and usually find them 8)

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
The flat is on the top. Thanks to both of you for the explanations. Based on your comments, I now assume that having the flat on the top makes the gun even more unusual and therefore, more "valuable"(?). I'll try to get a picture showing it.

Regarding my purchase, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. I was ready to buy it just because of the low serial number, and it was in really good condition. I knew $300 was a reasonable price given its condition, so I asked the dealer to hold it for me for 24 hours until I could get the cash and avoid having to pay a 3% premium to use a credit card. I was not aware that the T678 with tapered bolt ears was so unusual until I got home and checked Chad's reference book. I suspect that the dealer priced the gun strictly on the Blue Book value which is only $250-$300 for one in 90+% condition.

When I went back to the shop the next day, I asked the dealer if he had any room to move on the asking price, and he said he would let it go for $275.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
I requested a Letter of Authenticity from Ruger for my tapered ear Mark I, serial number 27203. The Letter I received states that my gun is a STANDARD Pistol shipped in Feb. 1953.

I wrote them back saying there must be some mistake, because my gun is marked as a Mark I, and it has the Micro rear sight. I got a call from Mrs. Deprofio stating that copies of invoices were not saved prior to 1955 and that all records from those years were hand written in several books. She asked that I send her pictures of my gun, and she would consult her VP and General Councel to see if he would be willing to change the record.

The email below is her response indicating that, while it "appears" that my gun is a Mark I, they will not change the record. However, they will refund my $10.00 fee.

Interesting isn't it.

Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 11:01 AM
To: Barry Marten
Subject: RE: LETTER OF AUTHENTICITY, Mark I, Serial No. 27203

Dear Mr. Marten:
Yes I did speak with [our Vice President and General Counsel]. I reviewed your letter and photographs with him. From the pictures you provided, it does appear that the pistol is a Mark I and not a Standard Pistol. Unfortunately, all I can tell you is what is in our records and they indicate that this is a Standard Pistol. As I expect you can appreciate, no one is around anymore who might be able to explain the anomaly (the paper record was created over 60 years ago). I did reach out to some folks I thought might have some insight and even checked the book Ruger & His Guns, but I could not get a good answer.

Under the circumstances, we are refunding the fee you paid for the letter of authenticity. I'm sorry we cannot do more.

Best regards,

Linda M. DeProfio
Ruger Firearms
Lacey Place
Southport, CT
Office 203-256-3865
Cell 603-359-1323

.....and that is one of the main reasons "why" the Gun Control Act of 1968 came and took effect, as ALL Rugers ,model to model, started at the serial number "0" and went up from there, so the Feds, Law enforcement, whomever, would get a gun in a theft or from a crime, and the serial number would reflect, any and ALL of the Rugers model to model, the things that changed was caliber, as well as aemi auto, or revolver....I KNOW as this had happened to us years ago, sold a Ruger 22 cal RSS and when the guy ,m who happened to be in the military went to a different base, they ran his guns and it came back as "stolen" many years ago, we did a background info check with the LE agency and it turned up another Ruger 22 cal. was indeed stolen , and it was an semi auto matic but it was in the Canadian data base as a Ruger 22 caliber handgun,,,,,whoa, ours was a revolver???? can and did open a "can of worms" till they determined it was a different model all together.........bad vibes with the serial number system,,,,,ergo GCA 1968 and Ruger put a "prefix" before each and every model, so looks like the Ruger company is falling into their own "can of worms" as your gun is the same number as another RST 4 ?????ah the joys of working with people who have NO friggen clue what is going on at their own company,call up sometime and ask for "parts" service" on "standard auto" or is it a Mark I????? they don't know........sad :(
at least it 'used' to be much easier when dealing with the ladies in records, who actually KNEW HOW to do their jobs and what they were looking at, and for...it aint rocket science............ 8) :roll: :wink:

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
Mrs. Deprofio is the person who answered the phone when I was transferred to the Records Dept. She only knew what the hand-written entry record book said.

chet15

Hawkeye
Curious how there is an entire block of Mark I's from 25000 through 29999 yet Ruger says this one is a Standard.
Chet15

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Fair enough. Ruger has never really been interested in collectors nor their products being anything other than hobbyist-workingman's guns.

I paid $300 for mine a couple of years back. It was in ANIB condition with the target walnut grips. 1955. I favor the Mark 1 and would not let it go for twice.

BarkeyVA

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
Curious how there is an entire block of Mark I's from 25000 through 29999 yet Ruger says this one is a Standard.
Chet15
Is this fact about that block of serial numbers assigned to Mark I's only known to collectors?

I am going email my contact in Ruger's record department and ask her to check the serial numbers between 25000 and 29999 to see if there are any more Standard models listed. If there are none then I would think it would be obvious that the description of my gun was entered incorrectly.