Mark I Standard info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

amishjeff

Bearcat
I just got this Ruger Standard, which I assume is pre-Mk I, at a local gun show this weekend. I know with the serial number (5 digit 30k's) it is a 1952-1953 model and the black emblem dates it after 1951 if I am correct. Can anyone tell me if I am correct that the red emblem ended after Sturm's death in 1951. Also, any input into this model is greatly appreciated. I am a recent gun enthusiast and really love the Ruger brand. I also own a Mk II gov. comp ss, Mk III 22/45 and am looking for that "just right " Mk IV.

Attachments

• Ruger Standard 1.jpg
    Ruger Standard 1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Ruger Standard 2.jpg
    Ruger Standard 2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Ruger Standard 3.jpg
    Ruger Standard 3.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 84
  • ruger standard 4.jpg
    ruger standard 4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 74
  • ruger standard 5.jpg
    ruger standard 5.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 80
  • ruger standard 6.jpg
    ruger standard 6.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 78
  • ruger standard.jpg
    ruger standard.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 87

contender

Ruger Guru
You are correct in that the early Standards started with the Red Eagles,, and ended after Alex's death. If my memory is correct,, it was early 1952 when the last of them were used up.
A bit more info on your serial number,, such as 321xx would help a bit. There is an overlap of the red vs the black in that serial number range.
The Type 8 Red Eagles, have a serial number range of 30001 to 35029 (along with (2) other serial number blocks prior to the 3xxxx range.
The first guns with the black eagles have a serial number range of; 33041 to 49644.
So you can see an overlapping of the types here.

Also,, these guns were called the Standard" model, followed by the "Target" model. Later on, when Ruger started building different guns,, the ones with the fixed sights were called "Standard Models" long after the MKI designation was introduced.
Old catalogs are your friends, as is the Red Eagle News Exchange,,, and especially the RENE Guide.

Good info above, Ty is spot on, we too saw one this past weekend at the OGCA show in medina, and it was about "perfect" and mint in the mid 34-35 serial range but I did not have my "book" and was really NOT looking to buy but it caught my attention told a couple of others they should grab.......the spread is pretty good and I did NOT see any hint of red underneath if it was "painted" over like the story went......:rolleyes:;)

amishjeff

Bearcat
You are correct in that the early Standards started with the Red Eagles,, and ended after Alex's death. If my memory is correct,, it was early 1952 when the last of them were used up.
A bit more info on your serial number,, such as 321xx would help a bit. There is an overlap of the red vs the black in that serial number range.
The Type 8 Red Eagles, have a serial number range of 30001 to 35029 (along with (2) other serial number blocks prior to the 3xxxx range.
The first guns with the black eagles have a serial number range of; 33041 to 49644.

Also,, these guns were called the Standard" model, followed by the "Target" model. Later on, when Ruger started building different guns,, the ones with the fixed sights were called "Standard Models" long after the MKI designation was introduced.
Old catalogs are your friends, as is the Red Eagle News Exchange,,, and especially the RENE Guide

Good info above, Ty is spot on, we too saw one this past weekend at the OGCA show in medina, and it was about "perfect" and mint in the mid 34-35 serial range but I did not have my "book" and was really NOT looking to buy but it caught my attention told a couple of others they should grab.......the spread is pretty good and I did NOT see any hint of red underneath if it was "painted" over like the story went......:rolleyes:;)
That's funny you should mention the OGCA in Medina. That's where I bought it..What a small world. I was amazed how crowded and HOT it was in there but worth the trip. I went back on Sunday and it was half as crowded and cold. What a difference.. The serial number is 36850 and I am adding it to my blossoming collection. Looking forward to going to the IX next time..

amishjeff

Bearcat

Old catalogs are your friends, as is the Red Eagle News Exchange,,, and especially the RENE Guide.
The serial number is 36850 and I am adding it to my blossoming collection. Sorry about that, the serial # was in pic but I should have listed it also. People are very helpful on this sight (and extremely knowledgeable) and I appreciate it as a recent Ruger collector

yessir that was the gun and as I said it is a nice one,,,I tried to see if there was any hint of red under the black paint, as the one had that small area rubbed.....did you stop by our table by chance?? we were in the back room against the wall helping Brad one of the Directors at his table........I see you go by 'amishjeff' and lots of our friends here in and around Chardon, and Middlefield are Amish, and my wife retired from Giant Eagle out in Middlefield she was the Floral Manager..............give us a shout ;)

amishjeff

Bearcat
yessir that was the gun and as I said it is a nice one,,,I tried to see if there was any hint of red under the black paint, as the one had that small area rubbed.....did you stop by our table by chance?? we were in the back room against the wall helping Brad one of the Directors at his table........I see you go by 'amishjeff' and lots of our friends here in and around Chardon, and Middlefield are Amish, and my wife retired from Giant Eagle out in Middlefield she was the Floral Manager..............give us a shout ;)
Not sure . I took a coupe hours and moseyed best possible. You saw how crowded it was. Not like the regular shows once a month with a few less tables and thinner crowds. I am not amish but live in northern Ashland county , surrounded by amish and I have done countless favors for them as they have for me. I actually borrowed the neighbor's "Sunday go to meeting" clothes to dress up for Halloween at work in years past and even shaved my mustache to make it real. The looks from the amish community when they saw this "amish" driving a car they deemed me ":Amishjeff"..

yes, transition and overlaps,,,the "start& stops" can and will vary...it really becomes neat when they are "consecutive numbers and have the variation differences...BINGO !
Jeff if you go to the reguler Medina shows then you must have been by my tables, right straight ahead when you come in , 5 tables down on the right side of that center aisle, hope to see you there next month....;)

amishjeff

Bearcat
yes, transition and overlaps,,,the "start& stops" can and will vary...it really becomes neat when they are "consecutive numbers and have the variation differences...BINGO !
Jeff if you go to the reguler Medina shows then you must have been by my tables, right straight ahead when you come in , 5 tables down on the right side of that center aisle, hope to see you there next month....;)
Are you the guy that was selling all the Rugers for an estate?

yes, we had a couple of them, one of them was for Dave "cherokee" here on the forum he had quite few old models mostly 30 carbines and custom... 32-20 and 10 in ch guns, as well as the 45 convertibles all nice stuff, all gone..........except for one boxed 6 1/2 inch flatop 357 mag (1960) and the 1967 RST-6 boxed also, just those 2 left.........Laura thought about maybe keeping them but she had to get a car.......:cool::rolleyes:;)