Elk with a 44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
If you were going to hunt Elk with a 44 magnum revolver, what do you suppose would be your choice of bullet weight?
Shots would be limited to 65 yards.
I have killed 1 Bison, 1 Mt. Goat, 2 Bear, 3 Moose and many Deer and Antelope with a 44 Redhawk using 240 grain handloads but Elk are much tougher.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jeff

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
If you were going to hunt Elk with a 44 magnum revolver, what do you suppose would be your choice of bullet weight?
Shots would be limited to 65 yards.
I have killed 1 Bison, 1 Mt. Goat, 2 Bear, 3 Moose and many Deer and Antelope with a 44 Redhawk using 240 grain handloads but Elk are much tougher.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jeff
Any bullet over 150 grains but out of a 30-06.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you've killed a bison & 3 moose with your ammo, I know you'd be fine with it for elk.

I've killed an elk with a handgun, and was on a hunt where almost all of us used a handgun. Calibers were; .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .41 Mag, & 7x30 Waters, and a 30-06. The Waters was in my Contender, and the 30-06 was in a Ruger No. 1.
All killed elk.
All but (2) dropped DRT, with one shot.
One, didn't drop immediately and required follow up shots. Placement was off. The only elk shot, that run off, and wasn't found until the next day was shot with the 30-06.

As with any hunting, shot placement combined with the right bullet type,, are two of the most important things.
You didn't mention your bullet type other than weight. JHP? JSP? Cast?
My first choice would be a good quality cast SWC design, moderately hard going about 1200 fps. Next would be the JSP and maybe a bit faster. Last would be the JHP.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I prefer a 300 grain XTP over a max load of Win 296/H110 because it is incredibly accurate from my Super Redhawk and I know it will penetrate enough to reach the vitals even on a steep raking shot. Alternately I like a 300 grain LBT-style cast bullet. I would consider using a 240 only if it were bonded or an A-frame, but that's personal preference and not based on personal experience.

Gutshot

Single-Sixer
All 3 Moose died remarkably easy, hit behind the shoulder they did the 10 step stumble then fall routine. The Bison hit just behind the shoulder to my surprise dropped right on the spot. None of the bullets exited. I did all this in the 90's and I cannot remember the load I used. I am sure it was either a 240 or 300 gr bullet.

Thank you for your advise
Jeff

contender

Ruger Guru
As a long time handgun hunter,, and having taken well over 100 big game animals with one,, I can attest to the FACT,, that there are no real guarantees in anything.
Bullet selection, combined with velocity are but one part of the equation. Bullet placement, the angle of the bullet path, the parts of the animal it hits as it travels, all affect it's abilities. Add in the animal,, and if it's calm, alert, moving, stationary, running, tense, etc, and that too can affect things. As such,, seemingly 2 identical set-ups can have very different results.

But in general,, when care is exercised by the hunter,, and bullet placement is good, combined with a quality bullet for the intended game, it will honor the animal with a quick, clean kill.
I've venture your choice will do the job, if you do yours.

Butterfield

Bearcat
I have never killed an elk so take this for what it's worth. I have a 44 mag Redhawk that
really likes 300 gr XTP's. I certainly think that would be a worthy bullet. My gun also likes
the 270 gr Speer JSP. Very accurate out of my gun and also it is a bonded bullet which
should help it to hold up better inside the elk. You might also want to consider the 280 gr
Swift A-frame. Outstanding bullets if you can find them

ChrisRhodes

Bearcat
A 240 Sierra worked just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    740.8 KB · Views: 63

ChrisRhodes

Bearcat
Bull was from last year…..

Back country Bull.
I packed into the wilderness in Wyoming the day before opening day to set camp. That night I was able to locate a couple herds either by sound or with glass.
The morning of opening morning the bulls were screaming. I began to work through a bottom towards the roar. I then hit an unmistakable odor….ELK! I knew the herd was close. I drew my 629 smith and Wesson and continued creeping through the dark timber. As I climbed out of a low bottom I spotted cows…
I paused and got ready not knowing what to expect. I observed a bull in a thicket to my right mounting a cow then he beat up the trees with his antlers. Cows began to pass behind me and in front of me. Finally the bull steps out and a 240 Sierra was put to work from the 44 magnum. The 40 yard shot was taken from the standing. In seconds a bull was on the ground and the work got serious.
Multiple trips at about 4 miles with 1800' gain to get this guy out. A memory of a lifetime.
Gun details:
629 S&W
44 mag
Trijicon SRO
Hogue custom shop Big Butt grips
4 port Magnaport
Accuracy work by me.
Processing knife by Ben Sutton of AK

If all you own and shoot is one brand of firearm…..you are missing out. Just took a mule deer today with a Korth mongoose 44mag..

contender

Ruger Guru
Ahh,, now I understand! Excellent write-up.
KUDOS on a FINE handgun hunt.

No offense meant in my query. It just seemed odd. And I too own more than just Rugers. I have a fair selection of S&W handguns as well. Including a M29-2.

ChrisRhodes

Bearcat
Cow and calf elk down today. 200 cutting edge. Sw and Korth 44.

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpeg
    IMG_0845.jpeg
    607.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    641.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 59