Magnum Force - My Latest Acquisition

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gglass

Bearcat
I picked up a new shooter yesterday, and got a chance to put her to the test today. Behold! My Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum!

I chose the 3" barrel version to keep as much of the .357 Magnum velocity as possible... The increased accuracy due to the longer sight radius is a nice bonus. I added the Hogue grips to help manage the recoil and I have to say that they performed better than expected.

rugersp101.jpg

This is my best target for the day at 15-yards, Not quite as good as one of my 1911's, but it will certainly do.

1sttarget.jpg

I think I'll keep her.

G2

Hunter
Welcome, nice package, some good shooting and very nice photo.

Who's Holster??

Weathermaker

Bearcat
Darn, I wish I could shoot that well at 15 yards. I assume that you did this off-hand.

I had a Charter Arms Patriot in 327 and sold it a couple weeks ago and picked up a Ruger GP100 in 327. What a super revolver. I like it much better than the Charter even though the Ruger is larger and weighs almost twice as much.

Out of all the handguns I've shot in my life...this Ruger Gp100 in 327 has turned out to be my favorite. :D

maxpress

Buckeye
welcome to the forum.
i have had both, i think the 3 inch does everything better. they conceal as well to except pocket carry which i find them to heavy for.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have an SP101 but it is a 4" in .32 H&R Magnum. I had a trigger job done and really only have one complaint. I could not zero the gun with any reasonable load. Just couldn't do it.

So, wanting to shoot it (didn't want to get rid of it) so I did this:

DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0261.jpg

Putting the Red Dot on it turned a pretty useless piece of gear into a FINE small game gun. It shoots VERY well and packs easy (in spite of the Red Dot). This revolver is entirely TOO GOOD to not have fully adjustable sights.

It certainly would not be everyone's cup of tea, but the owner (ME) is happy...

Dale53

Snobal

Bearcat
I found my 3" SP101 in a pawn shop last fall. It was used but measured out great and the darn thing "just followed me home." :wink:

The Ruger Factory site shows this gun was made in 1992.

With the stock grips, at 25 yards from sandbags, it grouped my favorite .357 Mag target loads in about 2" and about 2" right of POA. I was delighted. :D

Put the Hogue rubber grips on it and the POI moved to POA. :shock:

I'm now using it in our twice-a-month Bullseye matches (20 yard National Match Course) because it is the most "fun to shoot" revolver I own. Yes, I shoot far better scores with my 6" target revolver, but this little "5-shooter" is a hoot!

It fits nicely in a jacket pocket for winter-time CCW, but is a bit too big and heavy for summer-time jeans-pocket CCW.

I smoothed and polished the trigger, trigger guard, and internals. Installed hammer bearings and tried the lighter springs. Finally went back to the stock springs for "reliability." I had a box of CCI small pistol primers that was giving me FTF's with my target revolver, but the SP101 fires every one with the stock springs installed.

Yep. I really like this gun! It does about anything a "pocket pistol" should do --- and more.

JMHO

gglass

Bearcat
G2":52fhmi9a said:
Welcome, nice package, some good shooting and very nice photo.

Who's Holster??

Thanks for the nice words.

The holster is a Don Hume... It's one fine holster for the money.

Darn, I wish I could shoot that well at 15 yards. I assume that you did this off-hand.

This was my best target of the day. I was shooting an unsupported, modified Weaver stance.[/quote]

Nice shooting. I think a little practice and you will retire the 1911. I miss my sp in.357 with the 3 inch barrel. It too is a shooter, but resides in the safe while I am in Alaska(Redhawk country).
gramps

Dale53

Blackhawk
Lobo;
The mount that I used was made from a blank Weaver base by my pistolsmith. The top of the Ruger receiver is at two levels so the bottom had to be milled to match. If you have access to a milling machine, then it is a relatively easy job. Of course, the top strap has to be drilled and tapped for the mount.

It makes a very nice small game gun. I carry it in a concealed carry waist pack (fanny pack).

FWIW
Dale53

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
Thanks for the information Dale. I do have access to a mill so that part will be easy.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
gglass,

I'm sorry, that was so rude of me, I originally intended to welcome you and your new .357. Very nice, all around. I love those SP-101's.

gglass

Bearcat
I must say that my second trip to the range was even better than the first. I just installed the Wolff reduced power hammer (10 lb.) and trigger return (8 lb.) springs, and this little shooter has become quite the.. err.. shooter. :)

This 5-shot target was done with the same 15-yard distance and a modified Weaver stance. I would say that things are starting to tighten up. I believe that I am hitting just a little low of POA due to the 125gr bullets, and things should be a little higher with my 158gr carry ammo.

2ndtarget.jpg

Latest posts