M77 tang safety issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rufrdr

Bearcat
Are the members aware of this problem on tang safety M77s?

http://www.ruger.com/pdf/m77.pdf

Mine fired today when I closed the bolt on a loaded chamber. The bullet went downrange but in a less controlled environment it could have been bad news. I didn't know about this issue until I consulted their website after the incident.

Tang safety M77 owners should have the upgrade completed on their rifle before putting another round in the chamber if it hasn't already been done. I'm very surprised Ruger is letting owners do the upgrade and not calling the rifles back to do it themselves. Ruger made it pretty plain to me when I called that they don't work on tang safety rifles and don't want to see them at their establishment.

oldgreyguy1

Bearcat
this "issue" was addressed at least 10 years ago, even then the rifles were 20 years old, having had many dealings with Ruger (all very satisfactory I might add), I am "surprised" that your rifle was at fault

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Mine did exactly that. Fired as the bolt closed.

Some only needs a replacement screw from ruger. I did not have time to look at it myself when it happened with my rifle and had a local gunsmith fix it. Not sure if it was the sear that was slightly worn (do not think so) as it was a few years ago. But one of the engagement parts in the trigger got worn over the years and got slightly rounded around the edge which caused it to slip. It was a quick fix by simply 'sharpening' or 'squaring' the edge again and has bees problem free ever since.

Pieter

john843

Bearcat
Like the notice says, if your rifle has a "T" etched on the back of the bolt handle, the problem was addressed at the factory. I've got an '87 tang safety and it has the T so I would assume any built from at least then on to the end of t/s production should have it and be allright. However the etched "T" looks to be done with a hand engraver and is pretty crude; you have to look close for it.
John

Beachbum

Bearcat
I have one of those rifles. There is a hand drawn T under the handle, etched into the metal. It is not neat, almost looks like a 9 because the cross on the T is curved, perhaps a slip of the hand. Does that sound like the right proof mark?

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Beachbum said:
I have one of those rifles. There is a hand drawn T under the handle, etched into the metal. It is not neat, almost looks like a 9 because the cross on the T is curved, perhaps a slip of the hand. Does that sound like the right proof mark?

Some of those 'T' s looks horrible. I have one that looks nothing like a T but you can see that it was 'engraved' and not scrathed if it makes sense :)

Pieter

rufrdr

Bearcat
oldgreyguy1 said:
this "issue" was addressed at least 10 years ago, even then the rifles were 20 years old, having had many dealings with Ruger (all very satisfactory I might add), I am "surprised" that your rifle was at fault

Well, mine exhibited both of the identified problems: first time the rifle would not cock nor fire and the safety would not move but the bolt could be worked in the action. After I removed the trigger guard and moved the receiver in the stock it suddenly would work again. Second time was immediately after the problem went away, at the range the rifle fired when the bolt was closed. It's been a couple weeks since I sent the info off to Ruger for the screw, nothing yet.