M77 mk2 30-06 was shooting lousy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AlHow

Bearcat
Hi Guys,

I mentioned in the introduction section that this rifle was shooting groups (if you could call it that) of 8" at 50 yds. Yep you read that right.

My gunsmith checked the bore and said it was spot on, so I did some research. I came across a thread that said if you suffer poor groups the mag box may be too tight and needs to be 'free floated' by filing down both ends where it is held down. This morn I checked the gun and yep, it was tight. I filed it down till I was getting a slight rattle when all screws torqued down. Wow, massive improvement!

Last 5 shots were the tight group.

Al.
20230829_142701_resized.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum (I did read your intro). BIG improvement, looks like you're on your way to having a good accurate rifle. Removing the "pressure points" can make dramatic results like this as each shot previously would cause a pressure in a somewhat different place on the action, thus you wouldn't know where each shot was headed. I would also look the rifle and stock over to see if there might be any other points causing pressure on the action/barrel. But looking at your results it seems to be over it's malady.

Never fear asking any kind of question here on the forum, we actually have members from all over the world who might have a different perspective/answer to questions.

AlHow

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum (I did read your intro). BIG improvement, looks like you're on your way to having a good accurate rifle. Removing the "pressure points" can make dramatic results like this as each shot previously would cause a pressure in a somewhat different place on the action, thus you wouldn't know where each shot was headed. I would also look the rifle and stock over to see if there might be any other points causing pressure on the action/barrel. But looking at your results it seems to be over it's malady.

Never fear asking any kind of question here on the forum, we actually have members from all over the world who might have a different perspective/answer to questions.
Thanks heaps Ron. I should have mentioned I'm new to firearms.

It could do with free floating and bedding, but I have read it doesn't make much difference after the mag box mod.

I sold a Howa .308 righty to get this Ruger lefty. It won't be going anywhere.

Cheers mate.