M77 Bolt not closing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RG007

Bearcat
Luckyducker said:
How in the world did Ruger test fire this rifle?!!!!! Every firearm I have ever bought new was test fired at the factory, I just don't get it.

I've been thinking this to myself. I doubted myself at first (doing things wrong...) but when the gunsmith came up with the same problem, I felt vindicated.
BTW: I did not mean to come to this forum as a new member and create 2 pages of posts. But I appreciate what you folks have done for me. For those wanting to see the video link , here it is http://bit.ly/18MQ02l

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
If you call Ruger, I believe that they will send you a box to ship it back to them, on their dime, not yours. Sounds like a very tight chamber

Please let us know what is done to your rifle

Snake45

Hawkeye
RG007 said:
BTW: I did not mean to come to this forum as a new member and create 2 pages of posts. But I appreciate what you folks have done for me. For those wanting to see the video link , here it is http://bit.ly/18MQ02l
Hey, don't sweat THAT. Many of us started out here asking a question about, or seeking a solution to a problem with, some particular Ruger (I know I did). That's what this joint is here for! :wink:

Welcome to the place, and I think you'll find it's one of the best all-around gun forums of any kind on the net! :wink:

RG007

Bearcat
All right here's bit of an update. Call RUGER, they will send UPS tomorrow to pick up the package. The conversation was courteous, the wait was only 5 minutes. Tech support told me I won't see the rifle back until mid Jan as they are behind 2-3 weeks and there are some days where they are closed. There goes my New Years present to myself!!

I'll update once I know more.

Thank you again.

RG007

Bearcat
Still waiting ....
They told me to call back in 1st week of Jan.
I think I will have it by mid to late Jan.
Hope it can come back to me and not the FFL person as that is a bit of a hassle.

RG007

Bearcat
I called Ruger: they told me they had to redo the chamber. Since I do not have the rifle yet (UPS is closed today) that's all I have to report at this time.

5of7

Hunter
In my opinion, the lead of the chamber is too short.

This causes interference as the ogive of the bullet makes contact with the rifling, preventing full chambering of the cartridge. 8)

RG007

Bearcat
Ok. Now I have a real problem.
I took the rifle to the range to use it for the first time since getting it back. The bolt closes easier than before but still is tight.
However I ran into a few problems the most serious of which was the first one:
1. As I was closing the bolt on 2 occasions the rifle discharged the bullet!!!!! No one got hurt as the gun was pointing at the targets on the range.
2. The bolt closes easier than before. I don't expect it to be loose and easy but it still takes a bit of force to close it.
3. The is bolt binding present. I think this is the correct term. On more than one occasion, I had to struggle to get the bullet out of the chamber.

I don't feel that this rifle is safe. I've lost my confidence in it.

Obviously I am going to call RUGER again. I really think I should get a new rifle.

I welcome other suggestions please.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
RG007
You are right, that rifle is not safe. Call Ruger, advise them what has taken place,request a tag to ship rifle to them for replacement not repair as you are done with it.

Bill

RG007

Bearcat
HI Bill:
I thank you for your comments.
I've had some thoughts and decided to ask for a refund.
Gorji

RG007

Bearcat
Oh!! I sure will. UPS picked it up today; will get delivered tomorrow (NY -->NH is one day delivery by UPS). Then probably a 2 week wait. I plan on calling in a few days to remind them of their options and see what they are going to do.
Thank U

Biggs300

Bearcat
I've had this problem with some of my hand loads (358 Win) where I've purposely tried to stretch the COAL to get closer to the lands, but I've never had a problem with factory ammo. I would try some different factory ammo just to make sure that the ammo you're trying to chamber is not the problem.

RG007

Bearcat
Ok folks. I got a call from customer service. They are sending me a refund.
The saga may end after all. They said they cannot replicate my problem.

Now I need to decide what rifle to purchase.

RG007

Bearcat
golferboy426 said:
another very odd story. Hard to understand how Ruger could not replicate the unintentional discharge

I can assure you of the truthfulness of my statement. I sincerely experienced the problem with the rifle. I am glad no one got hurt physically.