M77 .458 Win Mag question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Maskwa

Bearcat
I just bought a late 70's vintage tang safety M77 in .458 Win. Mag. I have never taken one of these apart before, regular M77's yes but not the .458, which has a forend screw. I tried turning it and it only turns a short ways and stops. My question is..... should this screw turn completely out like the other screws in the action/floorplate, or does it only turn enough to detach from a barrel lug and stays in the stock? I have been looking for a manual for that particular model but have not been able to find one.

If someone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. :)

Maskwa

Bearcat
Thanks. Had a look and of course it addresses most things M77, but not the big bores and what I was enquiring about. :)
Maybe I will have to try and phone Ruger to find out. All too often when I make calls like that I get someone who is not old enough to have any personal knowledge of things older than the current production models. LOL I don't mean this as a slight to Ruger.......... just the way things go these days as I get older.

Trucker

Single-Sixer
Maskwa said:
Thanks. Had a look and of course it addresses most things M77, but not the big bores and what I was enquiring about. :)
Maybe I will have to try and phone Ruger to find out. All too often when I make calls like that I get someone who is not old enough to have any personal knowledge of things older than the current production models. LOL I don't mean this as a slight to Ruger.......... just the way things go these days as I get older.

Well, all I can tell you is my own experience. Anytime I've called Ruger Customer Service the person that picks up in the C.S. dept usually either has my answer off the top of their head, quickly looks it up for me, or immediately transfers me to a person who either knows the answer or can figure it out for me.

Now hopefully the we'll both have that same experience anytime we need help from Ruger. I can't say enough good about them.