Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is Nuts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ye Old Fool

Bearcat
I enjoy target shooting with iron sights, open and peep, with a preference for a scope for hunting.
The M77 models have integral scope mounts, machined directly on the solid-steel receiver and most of the rifles do not have any iron sights. The iron sights provided on the M77 have the rear sight very close to front sight and I do not care for the location. My 1903-A3 has the peep back behind the bolt and shoots very well.
My thought is to have Ruger install front sights on the M77 and make a rear sight that will attach to the scope mount in place of the scope ring.

Any thoughts??????

Thank you

jkc

Bearcat
It's been done --- New England Custom Guns manufactures an aperture sight that fits, without gunsmithing, in the rear dovetails. With my K77/44, I had to change out the factory front sight to get the right height, but your experience/rifle may vary. This is a well designed/made accessory with which I'm very happy. I ended up using a Tech Sight front which features an AR style adjustable height post, with protective ears, which fits into the front ramp dovetail.

picketpin

Buckeye
Well you have choices. Look for a 77RS, reciever cut for factory scope rings AND factory sights.

Aleternative you can look for a 77ST, smooth reciever that is the same profile as the Model 700 Remington AND factory sights.

As mentioned you can use the NECG peep sight in the the scope ring slots and you CAN get different higth sight blades from Ruger directly to line thenm up. All it takes is the depress the plunger in the blade and slide the blade out and slide a new one in. The position and shape of the sight blade has changed over time and the blades in stock fit later rifles. Earlry rifles with sights have a rounded front on the base of the blade/insert and the sppring/plunger near the front. In later rifle begining in the MKIIs the moved the spring/plunger to the front. They are not interchangable BUT the current ones available from Ruger fit the more modern rifles you are likely to run across.

My brother shoots 77s. He can't hunt with a scope because rain gets on the scope AND his glasses and he can't see anything. He buys factory sighted 77s either RS or ST models and removes the rear factory sight and installs a Lyman or Williams peep sight at the rear of the reciever giving the longest sight radious. I guess if he actually used or neeed a scope he could simply put one on the RS reciever.

About 10% of total 77 production was made in either the RS or ST model. The RS has been available in short or long action and in nearly every cartridge ever chambered. The long action is pretty much the same from 257 Roberts to 338 Win Mag and everything in bewtween in either RS or ST or both.

I tend to buy /collest STs just becaause they are less common. If scoped with a low power scope yopu do see the front sight . If you use a higher magnification with a differeent focal length it elliminates the issue. Just scopes a 77MKI ST &mm Mag with an El Paso Micro Trac 4x12 and you don't see the front sight on any power setting.

So I guess Ruger actually does/did make what you want or a pretty easy work around.

If I do hunt with a 77 instead of a #1 I usually carry a NECG rear sight in my rucksack, just in case.

Ross

picketpin

Buckeye
Mike: They were always uncommon. They do however turn up. In the last month or so there have been STs in 257, 270, 7mm Mag and 35 Whelens and at least one 338, in RS.

The 270 was a real bargain at $335. The problem was the severely over sanded stock but the MKI tang safety short action stocks show up pretty often. My smith has 3. Had I not already owned one I'd have jumoed on it.

Are you looking for anything in particular??

Ross

DPris

Buckeye
The new 20-inch .308 version of the Ruger Short Magnum has sights.
Front bead's too small, but I can get 3 shots under 2 inches at 100 yards using an XS striped front and the Williams notch the factory puts on.

I was glad to find it, not many rifles still come with irons anymore.
Denis

wunbe

Buckeye
My old eyes and the Ruger rear irons are a poor match. They are the epitome of old techology and are useless to me in any kind of failing light/dark woods situation. Besides that, they are poorly positoned for acurate shooting , as noted earlier; hard as hell to adjust; and subject to shifts during battering by baggage handlers etc. Ruger tqctialy admiotted they were garbage in the their selection of a far better rear sight on Boddington Series #1.

Quality peep sights, however, are the bees knees and the only way for me to go with irons. The drop-in NECG peep sight is a bit pricey but a fine solution for my #1Bs anyway.

wunbe

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Iron sights don't work for me anymore either, but iron sighted rifles always look better to me.

alaskamace

Bearcat
I prefer hunting and shooting with sights. I recently had my M77 d/t and mounted a receiver sight from XS.

TheDude

Single-Sixer
I have used the NECG sights that attach to the receiver as well as the universal front sight in the past and highly recommend them. Very solidly built with good adjustments. Never hunted with that rifle but did love the set up and may build another rifle so configured someday.

DPris

Buckeye
The right irons make a huge difference.
With the little brass bead that came on the .308 CM, shooting under a canopy and overcast skies, I was getting 6-8-inch 100 yard groups.
Merely switching to the XS white striped front blade brought 'em way down, in the same shaded light conditions.

For some applications (relatively close, inside 75 yards, and hauled in an ATV scabbard as more of a short-range critter defense and brush gun), I don't want the bulk of glass when I don't need it for long-range shooting.
I have a scoped rifle for that role.

Denis

I won't buy a rifle without iron sights. I like the idea of having a back up in case the scope goes T.U. and I think the rifle looks unfinished without the visual finialle of the front sight. I'm still looking for a 77 MKII all weather 223 that came with barrel sights for a very limited time. It would go well with my 77 MKII RLS in 308. My 2 cents worth; Mike

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings Ross,

Thanks for the concern, But I have about all i need. However, I do like stainless with sights. Between the 375 & 416 RCM's, and the Ruger ranch rifle, I can deal with about anything. My 6.5 Creedmoor has a scope on it, but the others do not.

Take care,

Mike 8)

A

Anonymous

I thought about a 77/22 one time, but would not want it without iron sights, and too costly to add them. An $800 rifle, especially rimfire, should have them already.