Looking at Red Labels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JCCVaquero

Bearcat
I have noticed two types, one has space between barrels the other hase space between barrels filled with some type of spacer. Is one type better than the other?

wwb

Hunter
The fillers, as noted, come (or at least they used to) with the 26" and 28" barrelled guns, while the "Sporting Clays" model with 30" barrels did not have them.

The fillers are easily removable, and are intended for hunting use in the brush, keeping twigs, grass, and other stuff from getting stuck between the barrels. How necessary are they??? I dunno.

If the gun is to be fired a lot in a short period of time, as in trap, skeet, 5-stand, etc. having no fillers is supposed to allow the barrels to cool more quickly.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I don't believe the current Red Labels come with the fillers. The new one I looked at recently did not have them, nor does the picture on Ruger's website show them.

WRM

Bearcat
The older Red labels had removable fillers, although some models didn't have them. The new version doesn't have them at all.

JCCVaquero

Bearcat
Well the Red Label I was looking at lgs found a home in my gun box. It is an 1981 or 1982 20 gage blued reciever and has skeet-skeet fixed chokes. It has some honest wear on the stock bu t doesn't seem to be shot much. Shop owner took it skeet shooting the week before I bought it.

Now if the weather will just warm out of the single digits I'd like to have a chance to try it out. It seems to fit like a glove.
redlabel20a.jpg
[/url]
redlabel20b.jpg
[/URL]