Lookind at Buying an SR762 and need a little input

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zazing

Bearcat
Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have a Ruger Redhawk 357, Gunsite scout and would like to add the new SR762 to my list of fine paper punchers. I have read numerous reviews, alot negative because of cost. FAL, AR10 and others seem to be the platform of choice but my experience with my Ruger products has been quite nice. Since I live in CA paper is about all I shoot unless I get a chance to go to the fine states of Texas or Arizona where we hunt boar. The only reason I want the semi is lazyness as far as racking a bolt. Lame I know, but it looks so sweet! Could have got a Ruger American instead of the gunsite scout but the gunsite was so much nicer, it had a friggin magazine and a flash suppressor. Being the fine age of 60 I can still achieve MOA of 1.5 with the gunsite at 50 yards on iron sites, same at 200 with a nikon BDC. So I guess I just love shooting, ex military so go figure, what else am I going to do.The SR762 looks like fun, never fired one. My last experience with a non bolt action 308 was the M60. I like the 308 its a great round and I reload. I would like to know the pros and cons from people that own Ruger products before I go down and be either stupid or educated by those that might know. Thank you all!

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Thank you for your service Zazing! I can't answer your question about the SR762. If I missed you before howdy and welcome from S GA!

Zazing

Bearcat
GA Cracker said:
Thank you for your service Zazing! I can't answer your question about the SR762. If I missed you before howdy and welcome from S GA!
Thank you GA Cracker!

DGW1949

Hunter
I've seen reports of them having feeding issues. Maybe that's true, maybe it aint. Personaly though, I'd still give it a while so's any possible bugs in the design can get worked out. Well that, and the price may settle down after they've been around a while.

But that's just me, and I don't have an itch to scratch.

DGW

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
I've had an SR762 for several weeks now. In two trips to the range we've fired roughly 100 rounds and had one FTF. In that case the round did not fully chamber and was a bit difficult to extract. Perhaps this was caused by the magazine? Yesterday the rifle was 100% with no failures of any kind. Used only M80 NATO spec ammunition. Very accurate but the weather here does not cooperate as there is a few inches of snow on the ground and it is cold! I have a Trijicon red-dot sight (SRS) installed and it works very very well. First impression was "holy-cow this is no .223." You won't be disappointed. Gerry

cmacrph

Bearcat
Zazing,
Thought you might to take a look at a special offer from Davidson's Gallery of Guns: on sale thru 12/22- a Bushmaster Optics Ready Carbine in .308. The dealers in my area are charging from $1100 - $1150. Outfitted with 16" chrome lined barrel, 1-20 round magazine with a 20+1 capacity. Take a look at galleryofguns.com . They are great to deal with and give a lifetime warranty with each firearm purchased. A good way to get excellent prices and still deal with your local gun dealer.
I have purchased two of the same model in .223/5.56 and have been very pleased with the function and accuracy.

cmacrph

heatingman

Bearcat
I have had my SR762 for about a month. The only problem that I have had was multiple failures to feed with the factory provided P-Mags. I bought several DPMS metal mags and they have solved my problem. I really like the gun. It weighs less than you might expect, but still is remarkably soft on recoil.

Mcswack

Bearcat
Call ruger service, send magpul units to them with a
Letter of problem & request DPMS metal mag replacement. They will send you new mags. Good luck.