LVT project need input

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rudedawg

Bearcat
I have a 1022 Carbine that never really shot very good groups even using higher tier ammo. My gun dealer buddy had a new LVT barrel that he had personally tested to be a good shooter and offered it to me at a good price. I ordered a take off stock from S&P Outfitters and carried it to my buddy. He installed the barrel, slipped in the stock, mounted my scope and we test fired it. The initial poi was 11" to the right @ 25 yrds. and the windage was maxed out to the left and still 2" short of the target's center. We tried 4 more scopes but got the same results.
LVT 01a.jpg

My son said try his 1022 receiver and after adjusting my scope's windage back to the right the groups were dialed in @ 25 yrds.
LVT 01.jpg
Subsequent groups @ 50 yrds. looked good as well after adjusting the elevation.
LVT 03a.jpg

My son is not shooting his 1022 and said just use his receiver for now.
LVT.jpg
Ruger has offered to sell me a return shipping label for my carbine for $45.00 so they can check it out or I could just buy a stripped reciever from an online vendor for $89.99. I am weighing my options but in the meantime my question is what would cause my receiver to be off that much and what should I check?

Some 10-22 receivers seem to be bored off center. This isn't an issue with barrel mounted open sights but certainly makes it difficult to align a scope. You might try Burris Posi-line rings with the eccentric polymer insert to get correct scope alignment. This option is around $25-40 depending on where you buy.
If you buy a replacement receiver, it will have to go through a local to you FFL dealer. Brownells is offering their aftermarket version of the 10-22 receiver @ $80 +/-(plus shipping and your receiving FFL's fee).

Rudedawg

Bearcat
Thanks Mobuck, that makes sense and I may try the rings first before ordering a receiver. I had looked at Brownells and S&P Outfitters for a receiver, my gun dealer buddy wouldn't charge me anything unless he's charged anything from either, which I doubt they would. I also wondered if the drilled and tapped receiver scope base mounting holes were off but that may be a little hard to determine. Thanks again.

gunzo

Hunter
In addition to the Burris rings Mobuck mentions, Weaver now makes a couple different sets of windage adjustable rings.
Either might save from the trouble of having to get another receiver.

Rudedawg

Bearcat
Thank you both for your valuable responses, do either of you happen have a recommendation/link on which adjustable scope rings and height required for an Athlon 50mm scope bell? I'm going that route rather than gambling with a replacement receiver that may have the same issue. I could contact Burris and Weaver but thought you may know off the top of your heads which set/s I needed just in case. Thanks again.

I'm not much help. I did manage to mount a 40mm front lens scope on a 10-22 using medium height rings. Beyond that, I've got nothing. Maybe mock up a couple of spacers so you can measure the height needed??

Thank you both for your valuable responses, do either of you happen have a recommendation/link on which adjustable scope rings and height required for an Athlon 50mm scope bell? I'm going that route rather than gambling with a replacement receiver that may have the same issue. I could contact Burris and Weaver but thought you may know off the top of your heads which set/s I needed just in case. Thanks again.
Honestly I would just get a decent receiver. If it was your Great Grandfather's gun and you just want to keep it functional that's one thing. If you are going with a decent barrel why would you attach it to a crooked receiver??? Those rings are a bandaid for a defective firearm.

Rudedawg

Bearcat
Honestly I would just get a decent receiver. If it was your Great Grandfather's gun and you just want to keep it functional that's one thing. If you are going with a decent barrel why would you attach it to a crooked receiver??? Those rings are a bandaid for a defective firearm.
I'm still weighing the options, haven't done anything yet and still using my son's receiver until he wants it back. I have a bad taste in my mouth with Ruger and not sure I want to take a rolling the dice gamble on buying another receiver. As mentioned above Ruger did issue me a case number and offered to sell me a shipping label for $45.00 to send the rifle back with the oem receiver for inspection but couldn't/wouldn't say if anything would be fixed or replaced under wty. on a rifle that old. It has been in and out of dealers shops longer than being at my house yet none ever offered to send it back to Ruger for inspection. It sat in a closet for years and only recently was the receiver found to be defective by a gun dealer buddy who assembles competition rifles.

Last edited:

DGW1949

Hunter
I'd put it back to as near original as I could with whatever parts I had and take Ruger up on their offer to fix it...but that's just me...Another thing to think about is this; If you keep substituting parts, it ain't going to be long that you're going to end up with a different gun anyway. Different stock, different barrel, replacement receiver, plus whatever "improvements" have (or will) come along....see what I'm getting at?

DGW

The initial poi was 11" to the right @ 25 yrds. and the windage was maxed out to the left and still 2" short of the target's center. We tried 4 more scopes but got the same results...

I had a similar issue, just a couple of years ago. I found an almost-new 'distributor exclusive' folding-stock 10/22 at a gun shop, priced to sell. I took it home, and immediately removed the folding stock & handguard, and dropped the barreled action into a standard factory stock. That's when the problem became apparent - the barrel was hitting the left side of the barrel channel, near the end of the stock where the barrel band is installed. Looking at it from the top, the muzzle was cranked to the left (something that was NOT obvious with the original handguard installed).

I removed the barreled action from the stock, and put a steel straight edge against the side of the receiver; the barrel was straight, but the hole in the front of the receiver was apparently bored at an angle to the receiver axis. IIRC, I did a rough calculation, and figured POI would be about 3 feet left of POA at 50 feet.

I called Ruger and explained the issue. They didn't even ask if I bought the rifle new or used; they immediately stated they would pay for shipping, and if I would return the rifle to them, they would look things over. I'm guessing there was a problem with a specific production run, they were aware of the issue, and my serial number was in the problem batch of receivers.

(EDIT: The defective receiver had a serial number just under 0017-58000)

Ended up, they 'totaled' the receiver, re-assembled my rifle on a brand new receiver, and shipped it to my FFL, at no cost to me. They even reimbursed me for the transfer fee I paid when I picked it up! The whole thing surprised me, because I bought it used, and figured I would be paying for repairs. Guessing with an obvious manufacturing defect, that they just stepped in and made it right!

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

Rudedawg

Bearcat
I'd put it back to as near original as I could with whatever parts I had and take Ruger up on their offer to fix it...but that's just me...Another thing to think about is this; If you keep substituting parts, it ain't going to be long that you're going to end up with a different gun anyway. Different stock, different barrel, replacement receiver, plus whatever "improvements" have (or will) come along....see what I'm getting at?

DGW
Hear that. Buying the carbine and a BX trigger group was just an impulse buy back in the day and it's back in stock form now except for the BX. I'll eventually get it straightened out. I do like the LVT though.(y)

Rudedawg

Bearcat
LVT project update. I removed the dovetail rail from my son's receiver and attached a new oem Ruger Weaver combo rail obtained from S&P Outfitters for $0.99, mounted the Athlon scope and went to the range yesterday to sight in and test ammo. Initial sight in was @ 25 yrds. and only 3 shots of scope adjust to get in the bullseye. I then moved out to 50 yrds. and shot for groups with Norma TAC-22 & TAC-22 Subsonic HP. The regular TAC-22 grouped fine and I hoped the Subsonic did as well or better as it's the squirrel hunting round used from my CZ 457 American Synthetic and it didn't disappoint. Rather than showing all the groups with scope adjustments I just attached the 5 shot 50 yrd. group of the TAC-22 Subsonic that made me comfortable in knowing it was viable for hunting.
LVT at range 8-28-2023.jpg
LVT Norma Subsonic HP 01.jpg
I was curious how it would shoot CCI SV so rather than running a patch down the barrel before changing ammo brands I fired a 5 shot group to acclimate the barrel then fired for a group, it didn't disappoint either.
LVT CCI SV 01.jpg
I will continue to test but at this point I consider this project complete and a success, the LVT is a welcome addition to my meager squirrel hunting rifle arsenal.

Last edited:

Latest posts