Long Hunter Shooting Supply questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
I was doing some googling on-line and came across a thread on the SingleActions board that mentioned the USFA and Ruger revolvers sold by Long Hunter Shooting Supply

http://www.longhunt.com/ruger/vaquero-blue.htm

I see that for about $50 less than MSRP on a New Vaquero, one can get a New Vaquero that has had a trigger job and the trigger pull set at 2 1/2 lbs. as well as having the forcing cone opened up, the rear sight opened, the sides of the hammer (or perhaps frame) relieved to avoid the drag mark on the hammer, and a check of the barrel-cylinder gap and head space.

I don't think I've ever heard of LHSS on this forum before. Have folks here used this service? What were the experiences? It seems like a good deal but there could be something I'm missing here.

Thanks,

Stephen

Jbrown75

Single-Sixer
While I've not bought a new firearm from Longhunter I can speak for his work, as I've had him slick up a rifle. There isn't anything to miss as far as the deal on the New Vaquero's he sells. He does the work in house to keep cost lower and obviously doesn't mark the guns up as much is all.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I researched it a while ago, and if I were going to buy a USFA gun I would likely do the LH route. Honestly, I didn't even know he was working with Rugers, but you probably can't go wrong.

99.9% of the the problems reported with new Rugers are things that a gunsmith would catch when checking the gun out. Here you're getting a good gunsmith checking out the gun, slicking it up, and still paying less than MSRP. I don't see a downside. You probably won't get one from LH with an overclocked barrel, for instance.

-- Sam

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Sam,

I looked at the USFA section of his site first, but it seems that this service is on hold due to difficulty procuring USFA's. As I'm not in the market for a new gun it this time, it doesn't matter much to me but I wonder what the deal is with the USFA's: short supply or large demand.

The only thing I didn't see noted on the list of services was measurement of the cylinder throats and reaming them to 0.4525 if necessary. I don't doubt that this service could be added though.

It seems like a good bit less hassle to only pay one shipping fee and transfer fee (and no Tennessee 9.25% sales tax) and have a gun that is ready to go "from box to holster" to quote their slogan.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I wouldn't bother, especially on a USFA. They are so finely machined and finished on the inside, I wonder what he even can find to do to one. All they need is new springs to be slicker than butter on glass. I've had to do zero stoning on my last two, both less than two years old. Contrary to the Colt's and Uberti's that required hours of stoning to get them smooth.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Craig,
Were your guns the Pre War or the standard SAA clone?
Your comments echo what I've read, but in a Ruger it sounds like Longhunter has something to offer.

FWIW, his USFA's price for about MSRP. Are USFA's routinely available at about 80% MSRP like many guns or do they demand a premium from most dealers?

-Stephen

Montelores

Buckeye
Long Hunter's USFA revolvers are a great deal, quality-wise and price-wise. USFA revolvers are wonderful, and, having fired some factory models before and after Long Hunter's work, buying a revolver from him is a very good deal.

USFA is apparently a bit behind in their production, but that is most likely because folks are realizing that they produce a great product.

Monty

CraigC

Hawkeye
StanMemTn said:
Craig,
Were your guns the Pre War or the standard SAA clone?
Your comments echo what I've read, but in a Ruger it sounds like Longhunter has something to offer.

FWIW, his USFA's price for about MSRP. Are USFA's routinely available at about 80% MSRP like many guns or do they demand a premium from most dealers?

-Stephen
The two I mentioned are a satin nickeled Rodeo II and a blued 12/22. Both were around 80% of MSRP. If I remember right, the Rodeo II was $540 when MSRP was $690 and the 12/22 was $676 when MSRP was $875-$900.

Montelores said:
Long Hunter's USFA revolvers are a great deal, quality-wise and price-wise. USFA revolvers are wonderful, and, having fired some factory models before and after Long Hunter's work, buying a revolver from him is a very good deal.
I just can't agree with this. I appreciate a slick action and crisp trigger more than most but I couldn't justify the expense. USFA's are oversprung from the factory and are greatly improved with new springs. The two I mentioned (the other being a heavily stoned-upon early USPFA) are very slick with 2lb triggers with just a spring swap. The actions are indistinguishable from those that have been tuned.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
His rep on the SASS wire forums is impeccable. I've never heard a bad word about his service, his quality control levels, value for the money or anything else. I think he's a really seriously good deal. He's not just slicking the guns up, he's also weeding out any possible "birth defect cases", correcting them himself if they're minor, shipping them back to wherever they came from if not. You don't have to cope with 'em either way. Not the cheapest possible route, but a damned good value for what you get.

Boge

Single-Sixer
USFA only sold 1,582 revolvers in 2009 according to ATF figures.

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/download/afmer/2009-firearms-manufacturers-export-report.pdf

Montelores

Buckeye
Craig -

The prices from Long Hunter are more than competitive, and the springs are replaced; additionally, a Ruger-style coiled-spring is fitted for the hand.

I know that you know this; others may not. Also, you have more gun-smithing experience than most, it seems (more than I do, that's for certain).

I would not hesitate to purchase again from Long Hunter.

Best -

Monty

CraigC

Hawkeye
His prices are good for a USFA with an action job, I just don't think it's necessary. I would have no problem spending $1200 on a new Colt plus $150 for a professional action job. I just wouldn't pay extra for one done on a USFA when all it needs is new springs. If you've never taken one apart, you would be amazed at how much better they are on the inside than a Colt or Uberti. They are literally as finely machined and finished on the inside as the outside. I can just about guarantee that if you compare a Longhunter USFA to my 12/22 you won't be able to detect a difference.

Answer to the OP
Yes L H is a good guy to deal with. I have bought from him and asked questions on how to fix stuff. He has been around the World of SASS a long time. He is also a top shooter. Sets up at End Of Trail and has a great reputation. Has ads in the SASS paper The Cowboy Chronicle
Jim

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Montelores said:
... additionally, a Ruger-style coiled-spring is fitted for the hand.

This part of the service package interested me as well. I'm nothing like an old hand with single actions; most of what I've learned has come from this forum, so my Ruger-bias makes me think "upgrading" some components to coiled springs sounds like a good idea.

Is there any controversy about this: such as claims that it alters the handling properties for the worse or is simply unecessary because USFA's suffer parts failures less frequently than other traditional SAA-type revolvers?

Thanks for the input so far,

Stephen

P.S. The personal recommendation for Long Hunter as a good man to do business with is appreciated. All part of the decision process...

Montelores

Buckeye
Just to be clear, the work performed by Long Hunter is more than an "action job."

From Long Hunter's website (USFA Rodeo revolver):

- OUR PRICE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING CUSTOM WORK -

1.Rear sights widened from .108 inch to .140 inch

2.Forcing cone cut to 11 degrees

3.Comes with a crisp, no creep trigger pull

4.Replace factory flat "hand" spring. The frame is drilled and a Ruger style coil spring is installed for reliability.

5.Factory main spring is replaced with a Lee's Gunslinger flat spring for a smooth, reliable cocking motion while maintaining a quick hammer drop

6.Factory flat "trigger/bolt" spring is replaced with a wire spring for added strength.

7.Relieve Hammer .007" on each side to eliminate drag marks. Then the hammer is machine jeweled or plain polished per customer request.

I can't speak for others, but I have been pleased with Long Hunter. As CraigC notes, the USFAs are wonderfully precise.

Best to all -

Monty

CraigC

Hawkeye
StanMemTn said:
Is there any controversy about this: such as claims that it alters the handling properties for the worse or is simply unecessary because USFA's suffer parts failures less frequently than other traditional SAA-type revolvers?
Not really. I would say it's certainly not a bad idea. I just wouldn't pay extra for it on a USFA. I've been shooting traditional single actions for 25yrs and have only ever had one hand spring break. That was on my pard's Colt Frontier Scout that had seen a lot of miles before his dad gave it to him. I'm fairly certain he got his money's worth over the course of several decades and thousands of rounds downrange.