Lipsey's new 26" .4570

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Major T

Blackhawk
1:20 should work to at least 500-520, maybe a little more-with a little steam behind them, and that likely will not end up being fun. My thoughts were paper patch around 450. jack

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings All,

I would like to see the same 26" model in stainless. I would then get the cash to buy one. I do not care about fancy wood because mine will be a shooter rather than a safe queen.

Obviously, there is room in the market for a long barreled 45-70.

Mike 8)

Major T

Blackhawk
Roof, if I had your machines and the skill to use them, I would already have one a little more muzzle heavy and likely 28". The Lipsey may be close enough for government work. Now then, a long barrel something around .270-.300 (available) would be more useful for most of my work. Pigs across a wheat field is somewhat kin to bean field work. I just stuck a 3.5-10 on top of my 1938 model 70. Maybe so it will work for that purpose. Looking forward to holding the longer .45-70. Jack

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
Jack,

I am not a big time sentimentalist, but the prewar model 70 is a special thing to me. I suspect your old 70 will feel right at home in the wheat.

I learned the machine basics because I wanted to, and in short, it was the only way I could experience the oddities of the gunworld. I am still in awe at the guys that can build a complete rifle from scratch, it takes so much effort just to do the simple things with me.

Keep the dreams a brewing, one never knows when they will show up. I think they still make 30 inch barrels............ :) .....so always hope for what we dream up.

Roof

mrbumps

Blackhawk
HAWKEYE#28 said:
I think this 45 70 a very worthy addition to my cache and the Lipsey lineup of Number Ones........... 8)

Me too! I gave in and had my FFL order one today. It's on it's way! :lol:

mrwickwire

Bearcat
45-70 is an awesome cartridge. The no 1 is an even better gun. dammit. more money out the door!

picketpin

Buckeye
I think this new one is more about the looks than anything to do with the actual increase in velocity/ballistics.

How many guys that own the standard 22" barreld "S" in 45-70 are actually loading it to balls to the walls/duplicate the 458 loadings??? I suspect it's damn few.

I'm not a 45-70 shooter. I've owned exactly one #1 in 45-70 and only because it was a "S" safety gun, the first I ran across. i traded it off when I found another in a more usable/for me cartridge, 25-06.

So if the vast majority of 45-70 shooters either shoot cast bullets or load DOWN jacketed bullets, this is about what it looks like and nostalgia, which is good a reason for buying a rifle as any.

Nostalga, if I want to shoot something big in 45 caliber I'll take one of the two 1886s in 45-90 out of the closet and bang away.

I do however think they were a good choice from a MARKETING stand point and stand a lot better chance of selling out than a lot of other offerings.

Ross

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
Owning one #1-S in 45-70 is enough for me.I use mine hunting the thick bottoms in middle Al. About 10 shots off the bench shooting the New Hornday loads and I'm looking for the 30-30 then. Recoil tolerance changes by age 50.
Or somewhere around that age I sure changed.

Major T

Blackhawk
Roof, the pre-war .270 is one of three model 70s that an old family friend bought new. The other were a pre-war .30-06 and a .264 Westerner. My cousin bought all three from friend when he hung up the hunting gear. I do not know what happened to the other two, but the .270 is in my care and custody. I intend to pass that one on to a family member. It has been used, but there is no a spot of rust anywhere and the bore shines.

Picketpin, of course you are correct in that a quarter bore or something there about would be much more useful. I ran across a 28" highwall .270 the other day that I am still thinking about. I suppose it is a good thing to be two weeks away from being able to fondle the Lipsey. If the stock market goes to hell, I am in deep poop anyway (as are most of us.) Need has nothing to do with owning a .45-70. Good day! jack