Lipsey's Counts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Why not call Lipsey's & ask?

I'd think you can trust them,, because their business reputation would suffer if they weren't truthful.

chet15

Hawkeye
The counts are good as far as the number of "Lipsey's Exclusive" guns received through their distributorship. There are however "used" guns or "seconds" that may never have reached Lipsey's. There are also cases where some of their exclusives are still sitting at Ruger as archive examples.
But if you are concerned about the actual rarity of a model being many hundreds or even thousands more than what their "Lipsey's exclusive" letter states, you can rest assured, if there are more, it probably isn't many.
Chet15

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
Do you have to be a dealer registered with Lipsey's to print that Certificate ? I went to their website, looked in the FAQ's and it says serial number lookups can be accessed under the My Account tab. And it looks like to set up an account you must be a Type 01 FFL.

Or is there another way ?

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
Thanks Rocdoc. I downloaded the certificate for my Bisley Flattop Blackhawk .44 Special with the 5 1/2" barrel (Mfg. Model 5235) that I bought new in 2010. However the certificate does not state how many were made like some of the other certificates.

My notes say that only 500 each were made in the 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" lengths and another 124 were made with 7 1/2" barrels. The certificate for the 7 1/2" guns, Model # 5237 does state "1 of 124 Produced"

However, the Model 5235 still shows up on the Ruger website as a Lipsey's Distributor Exclusive although now it has black laminate grips. Were the original numbers back in 2010 of a limited run of only 500 each in the two short barrel lengths nothing but hype to sell the guns ?

Last edited:

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I COULD be wrong, but I SEEM to remember something about that revolver being very popular, and evolving from a limited edition to something Ruger wanted to keep making-still a Lipseys exclusive, but open ended production. Maybe someone else has a better memory or explanation.

A few years back, Lipsey's requested, and Ruger agreed to only Lipsey's being able to receive and sell all seconds/used guns that originated as Lipsey's exclusives. Prior to that, Ruger was selling the used gun bank (UGB) and seconds thru normal distribution channels, including Rody's in Newport. For example, for a while Cabela's was purchasing ALL the UGB/Used guns to sell in their stores.

For years, Rody's has access to the UGB guns, but that stopped as the management of Ruger decided that they didnt want the hassle of selling the UGB guns to multiple outlets, same time they ended the LOW NUMBER program...

Ruger always over manufactures the number of guns to allow issues with QA, finish, etc.